Challenges and opportunities for improving member experiences on TuDiabetes

that’s an excellent idea Marie. If you are unable to post that day, let me know and I can do it.

Sarah :four_leaf_clover:

GREAT idea, @CatLady06. I know it’s possible to post an event banner at the top of the forum, and I can do that the day of an event in order to remind folks. Now to remember how to do it… :smile:

Yep!! If you scroll down a bit on any event page you’ll see that toward the bottom is a button that automatically places that event on your google calendar, where you can set it to remind you ahead of time :slight_smile: It sounds like that button should be higher up on the page so more people see it. I’ve asked our developer to move it.

The button looks like this:

1 Like

Thanks so much, @MarieB! I think this is a great work-around for the fact that we don’t have a way to comment on the event post, itself.

Update: we have moved the google calendar button to just below the picture at the top of each event. Hopefully that will make it easier to find and use!

For those of you who don’t frequent the home page, and therefor don’t see the banners there, I’m trying out something new and would love your feedback. I wanted to be sure that everyone sees the post called Word In Your Hand 2015, so I’ve applied a feature called “global pinning” to it, which makes the post itself appear at the top of the forum unless/until one removes it by clicking on the “X” in the top-right corner. It’s pretty intrusive, but since it can easily be removed by each person maybe that’s okay. What do you think?

@Terry4 @CatLady06

I don’t like it (I know you didn’t @ mention me). now “word in your hand” is at the top of the page even when I’ve clicked on a specific topic I want to read. I have to scroll down to see what I want.

btw, I really LOVE the word in your hand project and am very happy to see it revived! :heart:

1 Like

@EmilyC - I’m neutral to slightly negative on the placement of this notice. I will get attention but it takes up a lot of space and if my curser is positioned over it and I attempt to scroll down to the forum topics, it scrolls in this window instead, a minor frustration.

1 Like

Thanks so much for the feedback, @MarieB and @Terry4! I kind of felt the same way about it. I had hoped I could just place a skinny banner up there that would link to the actual post, but the feature doesn’t support that. I’ll see if Discourse will build it for us :slight_smile:

It took me a few page loads to figure out that I could a) look for an ‘X’ and b) click on it to disable the Word in Hand banner.

Don’t get me wrong, I think it’s a great project and happy to see it back, but as others have said, it was a bit annoying. I would say that if you also put some words at the bottom of the banner that said something like, “you may make me disappear by clicking the ‘X’”, it might be more palatable.

1 Like

I am one of the people that dropped off with the switch to the new site. First I couldn’t log on. For a very long time. Then I find the new format just awful and cumbersome, just expressing my personal opinion. I loved having my personal page and my group of friends, but all of that is gone. I enjoyed doing blogs, but that is gone. Finally, the topics don’t seem as interesting and I think because the site is difficult to use, people have gone elsewhere. For example, people with new-onset Type 1 (adults) show up on a Facebook page, not here. I do agree that the forum topics are easier to follow now. But it is rather sad to me, as I really enjoyed the old TuD.

2 Likes

@Melitta the ability to blog is not gone. You can find blogs in the Share Your Stories area in the forums.

I hope this helps you

@Curlysarah, I know that we can publish blogs on the Share Your Stories, but I wonder if that’s the best way to publish TuD blogs. Is there a possibility that TuD blogs could be published under the “blogs” title at the top of the page (with home, etc.)? The “blogs” could be divided in two, one for the curated ones and one for our own bloggers.

2 Likes

@Trudy1 I stay tuned for future improvements regarding blogs, both members and curated ones. That’s all I have to say about that (channeling Forrest Gump). :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

@Pastelpainter…To finally be able to log-in, I had to completely wipe my browser history–with my sweetie’s help, on Emily’s suggestion. Since that worked, I have never logged out and really don’t want to know what will happen when I do!..

I use the @ feature, but, as I said in another thread, I dislike it as a writer. It interrupts the flow of writing and reading, making for awkward construction of a sentence, a thought, a feeling. It is annoying and yes, sometimes I ignore it and just go on…

2 Likes

That sounds hopeful, Friend Trudy!

1 Like

(I also don’t like these boxes that pop as one just did, telling me to do this that or the other thing—I can’t make any sense of them and as a child of the 60s, I don’t follow direction well, anyway) (And they are a distraction and now I don’t know what I was going to say or to whom!) Bah! I’ll take a walk and it’ll come back to me…

1 Like

Judith, I understand about the flow of writing. Would it be possible for you to write your piece, then when editing go back and put the @XXX’s in? Not sure if it would work like that, though. I try not to let this new platform upset me too much, I am still here, you, Trudy and Linda are still around, plus a host of others whose posts I enjoy reading. And there are a lot of new people coming onto the site that we can get to know too.

3 Likes

@curlysarah, I wonder if we could start a TuD blog on one of the free platforms that multiple members could add to as and when the mood overtakes them? If we could, then that could be added to the blogroll and alleviate much of he anguish some members are feeling at the loss of our blogs section.

2 Likes

There you are @Zoe. I want to say “hello and miss you” about a dozen times in case we don’t cross paths for awhile…I struggle here for similar reasons, but check in and work on participating. It used to be easier…Blessings, my friend. Truly delighted to know you are ok!