Chest pressure and low BG

Hello all!

I started using insulin via a pump and use a CGM. This routine was started in May with great success.

My issue is that when my BGs get below 75 (confirmed with finger sticks) I feel pressure in my chest. I try to avoid going that low as I hate the feeling but am wondering if others few similar symptoms when low? I’m going to ask my PCM about this and don’t know if it is just a symptom of hypoglycemia or if I should be more concerned that it is revealing a cardiac issue. I had an EKG done earlier this year and it was normal. Stress test was done 3 years ago and was normal as well.

I think it would be wise to bring this to the attention of your doctor. However that being said symptoms of hypoglycemia can cause increased heart rate which is possible in I suppose to cause pressure in your chest. I would still mention it to your doctor though, your doctor will best be able to determine if it needs further workup or not.

1 Like

It is probably ok, other than feeling not great but ask your doctor because when you go low you’re getting an adrenaline reaction and that can affect your heart. I also have a lot symptoms and don’t feel great in any range anymore but “normal” range which used to be 70-100 for me I feel weak and tired and dizzy a lot of the time and hungry. I went to a cardiologist today who reviewed some abnormal ecg I had done and he said he thinks it’s ok and said I should wear a 30 day halter to try to pick up what is happening with my dizzy spells. He said it could be vaso vagal nerve reactions but it’s good I haven’t actually passed out from it etc. I will be going to another doctor closer to me who is in my network to do this. In the past I wore a 1 and 2 day halter I think which isn’t long enough to pick up things which may be going on.

1 Like

Thanks for both responses! I didn’t realize that there was an adrenal response to low blood glucose. That definitely relieves some of my anxiety about this symptom but I will be sure to speak with my doctors about this during my next visit. Learn something new about diabetes all the time. :slight_smile:

Meee I hope you get some answers to your dizzy spells and feel better soon.

1 Like

yw :grin: the adrenaline reaction with low blood sugar actually causes fast heart beat and palpitations, sweating etc. I hope I get it figured out soon too. thanks!