Come on, peeps... let's get to conversing!

Okay, so we’ve got this group… and it’s not being used. I know I’m not the only 1.5 on the forums… so, let’s discuss.

How’s your management going? Do you have an Endo? How are your A1c’s looking of late? What other medical problems have reared their ugly heads since your diagnosis? What else can you think of to discuss as part of this thread?

My name is Darian. I’m a 34 year-old cop in Southwest Missouri. I was diagnosed as a Type 1 LADA (type 1.5 here) on January 28, 2008… just 5 short months ago. In that time, I’ve taken absolute control of my health care… sans the insurance part… I’m kind of in a patients hell with that. My copay is too high, else I’d be on the pump (my cost would be $2000 just to start).

I have an Endo. In fact, I had to ask for an Endo after having lived with an improper diagnosis as a Type 2 for a bit over a month. Originally my PCP (primary care physician) was going to treat me herself. I was okay with that, until I was maxed out at 2000 mg of metformin in 3 weeks, and still having my numbers climbing.

I’m on Lantus and NovoLog now for my diabetes care. I may switch to Levemir in the next month, so that I can get tighter control on my basal care. I’ve also been diagnosed with Hashimoto’s thyroiditis (Hypothyroidism), and am now taking 50 mcg of Levothyroxine a day. I just started on Simvastatin for cholesterol care as well, on top of my daily 81 mg aspirin and a host of vitimans and suppliments.

I’m generally healthy, other than those two diseases. I quit smoking a few days over six months ago… and I feel great in that regard. Unfortunately, I’ve gained 60 pounds since I quit smoking and started on insulin. Well, I should say 55 pounds, as I’ve already lost 5 pounds of it in the past month. :slight_smile:

I’m happy with my current treatment management. I’ve made it clear that 'm in control of my care, and will work very closely with my team to make sure I’m getting the best control possible. No one is going to advocate for me better than I can. :slight_smile: I’ve got a really great Endo team, who’s working with me so far, and seems to be looking out for my best interests as well.

As far as family history goes, my dad is a Type 2. His dad was a Type 2. My mom’s dad was a Type 2, but he was insulin dependent. I’m the only one of my 6 siblings to develop diabetes so far. A few of them are at definite risk for Type 2, because of their weight and family history. What can I say, we sucked at choosing our lineage. :wink:

Anyway… let’s talk. Let’s get to know each other… and let’s help educate those around us. My PCP originally diagnosed me as a Type 2 because I’m 34. She hadn’t heard of LADA. I’ve been an EMT for almost 15 years, and I hadn’t heard of it either, until I was diagnosed with it. I know there are a lot of people that have come here that aren’t familiar with it either.

Not sure how much chatting there is to do on LADA specifically. IMO, it’s just type 1 developed late in life.

I do find it interesting how fast the medical comunity slaps you with T2 because you developed the disease late in life. Same thing happened to me. I started my career as a diabetic on Metformin and Lantus. No short acting insulin. Luckily, I got referred to a good Endo. I tested positive for the anti-bodies associated with LADA and had no measurable naturally produced insulin. “You’re a T1”, my Endo said, “stop taking the Metformin and here’s some Humalog.”

I spent a year injecting Lantus and Humalog. I didn’t want to be tied to a mechanical device, but after reading that pumps were the best way to manage the disease and that almost every diabetic that cared to write about their experiences with the pump said that it “changed their life” and they’d “never go off of it”, I decided to give it a try. I have to agree with the vast majority. I’ve been on the pump for 2 years and am about to give CGMS a try.

Darian, I know this is easy for me to say because my insurance company paid for my pump, but if there’s any way to get yourself on one, I highly recommend it. Probably one of the biggest things for me was a product of varying basal needs throughout the day (which a pump accomodates for but Lantus cannot). I found myself on a pretty tight meal schedule. I knew when lunch was because I could feel my BG going low. Also, very tough to exercise and manage your BG on Lantus because you can’t turn it off for a while. If it’s the only way to go, it’s better than nothing, but the grass really is greener over this fence.

No other health issues to speak of, and I think I’m pretty lucky there. It’s interesting, diabetes being such a progressive disease, you don’t wake up one morning and realize something’s wrong. Once I got my BG under control, a whole host of symptoms cleared up for me. Stuff that I figured was just a matter of getting old or stress or something else. Based on my symptoms, I figure I’d been dealing with the disease for ten years. They say the average diabetic’s been dealing with it for six by the time they’re diagnosed, so I guess I’m not too out of line. Well, I’ve had a couple of full physicals since my diagnosis and received a clean bill of health both times.

So, I don’t think there’s a whole lot of usable advice here. I think it’s more of a narrative. That’s probably why no one’s writing. I’d look for more in some of the other forums.

Its my fault for not getting the group going...my life since I was diagnosed and started this group has been insane and frustrating at time.

LADA=type 1.5 late onset type 1. And this is what I have learned! When i was first diagnosed my PCP told me your type 2. She redid the test as she felt I wasn't the description of type 2. I was a skinny mini back then! 80 pounds. The test came back as inconclusive and sent me to a endo for specialized care. He did the test twice and was stumped. He then said you have LADA. Thank goodness for the education from the American Diabetes Association's website where I learned all about it regardless of what type.

I feel LADA is like your pancreas works and then it says oh no I aint gonna work. my A1C was great for the first few years. In 2009 my A1C was at 14%. They re-did all of the test and my honeymoon was over. I was sad as I liked my pancreas behaving sometime. I think of it as an appendix lol...It is just there for show. Ok maybe not.

I am now on a pump for the last 2 years and been using Novolog after Humalog caused huge issues with me in the pump! I am too on Simvastatin as my cholesterol was high and now down to 125. Trying to get back on the CGM as I was hospitalized (not diabetes related) and was put on steroids IV to help with the right side weakness I had (stroke was ruled out) and my sugar levels were going all over the place. The CGM wouldve of helped me see is it the IV or the food, etc.

My pump allows me to work in a hospital and not have to go to the bathroom, give me a shot, wait 15 mins to eat and spend half of my lunch break waiting to eat. I was so stubborn when i was first diagnosed as I thought injecting is a strict and keep me in line thing. But now the pump makes my life so much easier. I shouldve of done it when I was first diagnosed!

Hey, just came across this post. Just became a member a few days ago. I was diagnosed in 2002 as adult onset diabetes. It was the most frustrating diagnosis I could have ever got. I honeymooned for 1 year, then I rapidly became type 1. By 6 years my pancreas beta cells stopped producing any insulin. Hence I was tied to the injections. Being a career fire fighter, it was not a good diagnosis. I was able to keep my job and I was determined to control it as well as I could. The worst information I received from the diabetes educator was "eat what you want and take the insulin to cover it". Over the years I learned that was not what I needed to do. I started cycling more and playing ball sports to stay active. It is a constant struggle, but it is my life now. I hope to hear some of your suggestions and hints from an athletic point of view.

Hi, lvfr939 and welcome! I agree with you on the idiocy of "eat what you want and take the insulin to cover it". Personally I think it's indicative of a larger attitude of indulgence in our culture, but don't get me started on that rant! I too was misdiagnosed as Type 2, was on oral meds for 15 months when they stopped working and I figured out I was type 1. Glad you have found out what works for you despite your doctors!