Communal Food

After spending a week in Cape Town with my cousin the full impact of my eating requirements really hit home. I'm so used to it now that I don't really think about the things I can't eat, I just look for the things I can.

But my cousin didn't really get it - at all. I had to explain over and over that there are some things that I just can't eat and feel good afterwards. Baked goods are not an option for me, unless they are homemade according to my recipes. Cafe-style eating, where almost everything is bread-based is not a good option, steakhouses are better.

I guess to a certain extent I just handle it so much that either my mom or I don't really see the impact, until I have to eat with other people. And now with Christmas coming up I'm starting to stress out.

I'm dreading the communal Christmas meal because I'm not involved in cooking it, and I know I won't be able to eat most of what is traditionally cooked. I'm not quite sure what to do - do I cook and bring some of my own food or just eat what I can and fill up at home later? Or do I take Metformin and pray? (At the moment I only take it during my period because I can keep my BS in line at other times without it).

The cook is one of those people who really likes to feed others, and I'm worried that she's going to pressurize me to eat things I can't. I really don't want to have conflict on Christmas day with my family, but I also know my aunt gets a huge amount of her self-esteem from people praising her food and she's going to want that.

so ur family doesn't know that u have diabetes ?? cuz i f they know it shouldn't be a problem because they wouldn't want to hurt u and ur aunts won't force u to eat ! I guess u should make a healthy meal or food for everyone from which u can safely eat from

I know a few people claim they are celiac, no-one ever questions that celiacs can't eat baked goods, you can make it a bit more truthful by saying you have to eat wheat free which implies that you are celiac without actually saying it. Have a happy Christmas.

They know I'm diabetic, but they think I'm being overdramatic. When I was first diagnosed they kept asking me when I was going to eat normally again.

Yes, people are very discriminatory against diabetics. I know it is hard when it is family, but just say NO and if they press tell them it is your toes that are at risk not theirs.

It doesn't sound like your diabetes is too severe, so for one day why can't you just eat the turkey/meat and vegetables (except potato) and a little custard and fruit. You can take up to 5 tablets of your Metformin for the day, take your own sparkling mineral water and just don't make a big deal about it. What's the worst that can happen? You take a nap?

No one in my family ever questions me about what I eat. A lot of them are diabetics who eat whatever they want, even though they know better, and they're paying for it. So I just eat what I know I can (and Meryl, even one day of junk is NOT worth it to me) and don't nag at them when they stuff themselves with the wrong food, and we all get along fine. Some people like to think it's "normal" to eat tons of carbs because it reassures them what they're doing is right. I'm not sure it's really normal for anyone to eat like that. You can still praise your aunt's cooking without eating the things that you shouldn't.