Confused and Discouraged

So I was diagnosed with Type 2 about 18 months ago. My endo has been treating with diet only.
My FBS have been running between 110 and 120.

Then the last couple of weeks my fasting blood readings are in the 140s all of a sudden.

My endo now prescribed Kombiglyze XR 5-500 mg.

Why would my FBS all of a sudden spike up like this.

I was hoping to not need meds so now I’m devastated.

any help out there???

I think conditions change over time, like when the wind blows or there are sunspots or constellations or something. I’m T1 but my numbers seem to change periodically without many other changes to the input side of the equation other than invisible stuff my body does to itself. I suspect this may happen to everyone, even “straight” people w/o diabetes but, of course, they aren’t on top of their numbers like we are. I’m not sure if T2 may change over time too. I wouldn’t look at it as anything you had done but just the way of the world. Which may not make it any better for you but I’m sorry you are devastated.

Has there been any change in your diet or eating habits ? I’m a type 2, If I eat later at night after 10 pm my fasting blood readings are higher in the morning…

Just a possibility, but do you definitely have Type 2 diabetes? Was Type 1 autoimmune diabetes ruled out? Meaning, have you had antibody testing (GAD, ICA, IA-2) and a c-peptide test? Check out my blog A Field Guide to Identifying the Misdiagnosed Type 1 Diabetic. I am not saying this is definite, I am just suggesting one possible reason that your BGs are suddenly going up.

I dont know what those tests are you mentioned. I am going to a very well respected and prominent Endo so I’m assuming he has ruled that out.

Thanks. I have not started the meds yet. I just got them a couple of days ago so I will see if they work.

Ive had this before and my endo attributed it to “Dawn Phenomenon”. Because of release of certain hormones in the body at those times of the night, result is a higher bg reading in the morning. My doctor adjusted the time when I should take medication. Plus I avoid eating much carb at night and before bedtime.

So I was diagnosed with Type 2 about 18 months ago. My endo has been treating with diet only. My FBS have been running between 110 and 120.

Then the last couple of weeks my fasting blood readings are in the 140s all of a sudden.

My endo now prescribed Kombiglyze XR 5-500 mg.

Why would my FBS all of a sudden spike up like this.

I was hoping to not need meds so now I'm devastated.

any help out there???

Diabetes, whether we like it or not, tends to be a progressive condition. Some of us are able to stall that progression by making lifestyle changes and and, if necessary, adding medications or insulin, but others cannot. I did very well for my first three years after diagnosis but eventually my A1c and FBG started creeping back over 6 (% and mmol) and I added metformin. I did not see that as a failure, just a necessary change to my regimen. Nor was it a reason to abandon the lifestyle changes.

The true goal is not to avoid medications; it is to avoid complications. Never forget that.

Possibly something has changed in your way of eating or your lifestyle. Do you test after meals to see what is happening? This may help you do that: Test, Review, Adjust

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia
Everything in Moderation - Except laughter

I am Type 2 and find if I do anything out of the ordinary I spike. Anything white bread rolls rice pasta is a No NO. My endo said try to stay under 140. If I cheat and have a little ice cream I spike. I have been at it long enough now to know what does it STRESS DIET COLDS CORTISONE SHOTS. You will get there it is hard but you can do it…keep track of your carbs too. I am 84 years old and if my old brain can figure it out you can too. LOVE YOURSELF…YOU ARE WORTH IT.