Considering OmniPod

Is that true? My son has swam for hours and never had an issue.

1 Like

Apparently it is what Insulet states. We have never ever timed Calebā€™s water activities. Heā€™s never under water for 60 minutes or longer. Maybe this statement has to do with complete immersion for that long? Itā€™s the first Iā€™ve heard of this after using OmniPod for ten years.

https://www.myomnipod.com/explore-Omnipod/product-comparison/

Good info. Iā€™m new to postingā€¦

Iā€™m considering an after 17 years with Minimed. What about shipping the pods, anyone had problems getting them shipped on time? With the Minimed I had to use a secondary supplier or suppliers - companies merged, got bought out, or changed policies,ā€¦ no fun. Sounds like you deal only with Omnipod; for all things Omnipod, correct?

Also what about a backup PDM if you travel out of your home county? If your PDM dies or gets stolen while abroad what do you do? In the past, with Minimed I get a used loaner pump. Does Omnipod offer loaner PDMs?

Weā€™ve only used Insulet for our supplies but I believe people also get them from suppliers - edgemark comes to mind - maybe I have that wrong.

Iā€™ve never inquired about a loaner. Weā€™ve traveled a fair amount. Itā€™s a valid concern. For quite a while Iā€™ve had an older generation system I pack with me. Hopefully others will report their experience.

One disadvantage I see with Omnipod (maybe with other tubed pumps too, but I donā€™t know) is they totally messed up the insulin on board for extended boluses (where they say that all insulin to be given is actually on board: absolutely WRONG, because if I stop the extended bolus it will not be on board), and the insulin on board given with temp basals is not computed either, so it is possible to go low if using the bolus calculator after a temp basal.
The minimum step increment of 0.05 units does not make it very precise either, specially for kids who are more sensitive. And the PDM is ugly looking.
As its main advantage, I see the tubeless feature.

Speaking in terms of Animas and Tandem pumps, only bolus delivered are counted for insulin on board.

Basal are not a part of that nor are bolus not yet delivered.

1 Like

Youā€™re right that itā€™s not presented on the status screen as clearly as it could be, but:

1. while the IOB total shown includes the extended still to be delivered, the status screen also shows how much of the extended bolus remains, and the time remaining for it;
  2. if you cancel the extended bolus, the IOB will adjust to show your actual IOB; the ā€œLast bolusā€ will show how much of your extended bolus was given; and the insulin history will show you the details of how much was delivered in how much time.

I am not sure if any pump includes basals in the bolus/IOB calculations, and for good reason. Since basal (temp or not) shouldnā€™t be covering for food, itā€™s independent of any bolus calculation, and is therefore disregarded when it comes to IOB.

1 Like

It would be helpful if you could see it. Not for calculating boluses, but for knowing what your current basal number really was.

Like if I turn off my basal right now, the basal number will say zero. But since I have been delivering basal insulin for days and days, and since the insulin duration is several hours, I know it will be a few hours before I am actually at zero basal.

So if I want to see the actual insulin on board without making calculations I will have to stop the extended bolus and then set it again. Should be much simpler in my opinion

1 Like

I was diagnosed 2 yrs ago at age 55 with no family history. As a Nurse of 25 yrs, I actually diagnosed myself while on a traveling assignment. I finally got the a Dexcom a yr and a half ago and love it!! I just got a pump on April 19th. It has changed my life. I chose the T-slim control IQ pump. It regulates highs and lows. I have been in range almost all of the time since getting the pump. My A1C was 10.9 at last check. Iā€™m sure itā€™s going to be in range with this pump. Think about a T-slim. :-).