Constantly high and confused?

Hey Scott, I just wanted to thank you and everyone else here for all their useful advice. I know my questions seems to be pretty basic, but its comforting to know that everyone else struggles, but eventually this disease is managable. My problem is, is that I give doctors so much crediability, when sometimes I need to just take control myself. Anyways, thanks for all the advice. I’m gonna try to find maybe a diabetes educator, or something or someone through my insurance network, that I can hopefully talk to on a regular basis so I can get better control wth the pump. I’m definitley gonna get that book you suggested, btw I have an Animas 2020 pump, I know some software came with the pump, but I dont know how helpful it will be, but I’m gonna try to download it. Anyways once again THANK YOU so much for the advice.

Hi Anthony, on avergage about 25IU just for my basal and my bolus for a day are about 60IU to 80IU, I think I just need to go on a really strick low carb diet. I mean I try to allow myself no more than a 100carbs a day but I might have to cut that number in half. Ya when I’m 60’s I don’t leave work right away, I take some glucose tablets and kinda hang out for a bit. I’m definitley gonna start with some Vitamin D tablets and see if that helps!

Dear Giovanna.

With 25 of basal and 60 to 80 of bolus, you could easily increase your basal. I would think a ratio closer to 50/50 basal/bolus would make control easier. I was trying different amounts of basal to bolus and the highest amount of basal that you can take is good. In your case may be what you are doing could be ok if you have a widely varying schedule since upping the basal too much could give you lows under some circumstances. The vitamin D helps many other things like osteoporosis. It is inexpensive and most people seem to be low. Cutting carbs make control easier also.

Best of luck, keep us posted.

You can ask your doc about Metformin—but I am thinking your basal rate is not high enough. I am a Certified Pump Nurse and I have had to get folk up to 2 units sometimes to get results…Also I have a patient on a 1:5 carb ratio right now and it is helping him. Lower the grams one a day…Ask your trainer or MD—You raise 0.1u/hr basal a day and see if it helps. Did you have a C-Peptid done lately?

I dont’t think your basal rates are right. You may need to re-evaluate that.

I am a Type 1.5. I was on insulin, alone, for awhile and then my endo put me on Metformin too, just to see what would happen. I found that 500 mg with bkfst and dinner reduced my insulin requirements by about 1/3.

Has anyone else experienced this?