Converting Basal for New Pumpers

I would go back until the dip in the cgm graph went as low as I felt comfortable.

Everybody responds differently to what “low” is.

IMHO the biggest risk would be forgetting to eat at that point. In your situation, that is probably not a realistic concern. Plus with the cgm if that ever happened (ie - forgot about breakfast - lol) for some weird reason, the cgm would start alarming.

Will do. My son never forgets to eat. He’s dreaming about food before he wakes up! Lol

1 Like

I remember in the introduction to pumping class…she said something about the total amount of daily insulin (lantus and humalog). You take a certain percentage of that, for safety, to start out and divide it by 24 hours. I just can’t remember the percentage she said or if she said a percentage of his daily humalog then add his lantus then divide. Confused!

With Type 1 diabetes there is a phenomenon that we nickname “foot on the floor.” It means that the second some of us get out of bed, our BG starts to rise. If I get up at 6, it starts then. If I get up at 8, it starts then. It is different from dawn phenomenon that often starts in the wee hours of the morning at 3 or 4am. What often works for me is to take a bolus immediately when I get up. It helps stop the morning rise and also functions as a head start for breakfast insulin. When I bolus for my breakfast, I may or may not subtract out this bolus depending what my BG is doing and what my anticipated activity level is going to be. Obviously this is easy on the pump, not as easy with injections.

The morning hormones are very powerful and unfortunately not consistent from day to day. Eating breakfast and the insulin associated with it help to control the rise. If I don’t eat breakfast I require more insulin throughout the morning than if I do.

Good luck. Diabetes doesn’t get easier but most of us get better at dealing with it. :grinning:

1 Like

Yup, I get DP big time when I get up. Been like that ever since I became diabetic (back in the mid '70’s). I have to wait quite a while for my morning bolus to drop me a little bit (from say around 100 initially), so that I can eat w/o going sky high. Sometimes I wait over an hour. I certainly wouldn’t/couldn’t do that any other time of the day.

Helpful note. I use the receiver not my phone due to how often I lose service. But with the receiver, I have a Tile on it so I can always find it. It did once fall out of my pocket while walking once & once at work I lost it is a table of merchandise I was setting. I use them for my meter case, receiver, keys, wallet and iPad. Been the best thing for my absentminded self!

Does finding an item with a Tile require you to be within normal BT range, such as <30 feet?

What is a Tile ?

“Tile is a tiny Bluetooth tracker and easy-to-use app that finds your phone, keys, and anything you don’t want to lose - in seconds.
Attach a Tile to an item and locate it by sound, by seeing its last known location on a map, or by marking it as “lost” and getting an alert when it’s found.”

1 Like

Cool !! Thanks.

It’s I think 100 feet. But if it’s far away and you tag it as lost, when someone with a Tile gets near it, you will get anonymously an alert with the location.i have meet a few parents who use it with their child’s equipment. This stuff is expensive and you know how children can be sometimes. Wait, I fall into that category sometimes, which is why I have my stuff Tiled!

1 Like