Correcting stubborn highs after a night of gallivanting

went to a long long B-day party last night. it was awesome and, fortunately/ and unfortunately the food was spectacular. so, i figure, as my latest A1c was 6.4%, it wouldn’t hurt to “go to town” giving myself a little freedom from my D. it was buffet style and the selection of food was enormous. i noticed that there was chicken on one of the platters along w/ a kick-but salad w/ goat cheese and walnuts and crazy fancy greens. god only knows what was in that salad dressing. i let it rip. i started by blousing 1.5 units and waiting for my insulin to do its thing. i filled my plate w/ the chicken and the salad. the chicken was awful but the salad was too good to be true. so i figured i would double up on the salad an skip the chicken. well, w/in less that 5 minutes, my cgm showed i had trended up over 40 points. it was that damn dressing. must have had sugar in it. so i gave myself another 2 units. i added some cured beef to my plate (salami, prosciutto, etc). i did NO extended boluses, and for the remainder of the night, although a bit high (180 - 200s) i remained in what i thought was a safe range.

got home, re-tested w/ finger stick. 205. gave myself a correction bolus and went to bed. middle of the night, dexcom HIGH alarm went off, still 200; gave myself another correction and went back to sleep. another alarm went off as i was waking up. another correction bolus. couldn’t figure out why my BGs were not coming down.

it has taken me around about 10 hours to get my BGs back into a “normal” range (135) and, whats upsetting about this, is i feel like i have the flu or something. i am worn out with a headache and body cramps. my legs are killing me and my head is not responding to aspirin. it stinks.

has anyone had this happen w/ such stubborn highs? and, what do you do for it? how do you avoid this from happening in the first place?

Afrezza is the best thing for situations like this for two reasons…

1. in the real world in situations like this it’s not practical to plan out how many carbs you’re going to eat in advance so a med that effectively manages with “crude dosing” when taken after you’ve eaten makes a huge difference

2. when you get it wrong and end up with a spike, which is bound to happen in the real world, it’s capable of correcting it in an hour or less and you can get on with your life.

Sam19-

what is Afrizza? i keep hearing about it, and i wonder if it is for T1D. i use Novolog for fast action.

It’s inhaled insulin for both t1 and t2. It’s only been out for a few months. Works in minutes, only comes in a few different doses but it works differently than injected insulin so the crude dosing actually works quite well. A few people here including me have written quite a bit about our results with it. It’s not flawless but it blows everything else on the market away for quick and dirty corrections and getting on with your day… It peaks within about 15 minutes and is pretty much completely out of your system in an hour or so… Vastly faster than novolog.

A few blasts into a banks’ AC unit and we could render everyone unconscious! Make off with some loot. j/k :slight_smile:

I also titrate upward my correction boluses (is that “boli”) Anyway, 200 - 250 is 110% DOSE, 250-300 IS 120% bolus. I find that I have some resistance or slow down of efficacy with very high numbers (thank goodness for CGM I don’t get there often). BTW - no type 2 in the family, so I’m not dealing that.