Corrections

HI I have a question... I'm having a really off and out of blue day and haven't ate my dinner yet because for some reason my blood sugar 5 hours after eating is 202. My 2 hr number was 130 so I thought everything was ok or else I would have take a correction earlier. But now since it's time for me to eat I was wondering do I take the correction with my normal bolus for my meal and eat or do I take a correction wait for it to go down then take another for food and eat then? Haven't done a correction at a meal before and super nervous to eat with it over 200. Advice? thanks!

I totally agree with being nervous to eat @ 200, although if you have kids, I dunno how "marketable" that will be? I would correct and bolus and wait 15-30 minutes to confirm it's working. I prefer loading up on insulin and making sure it's working to running it up. If I can see that it's dropping, I don't mind digging in a shade higher than usual but I like to keep diabetes on a short leash. I usually have some sort of quick acting carbs (e.g. Guinness...) to swill if it drops fast, like if you still have insulin on board or something like that.

Good question, but that's really a judgement call and dependent on your circumstances. If you are really hungry and/or it's time for your family to eat, then you can go ahead and compute your correction and add it in to your meal bolus. But if you have the ability to wait it might work better to take a correction and let it at least start to work before you add food to the equation. Another option is to eat a meal without carbs or with very few. Then be sure and test at 2 hours and decide whether to correct again being sure to keep track of the insulin on board. (Keep careful notes especially if your house is hectic with kids at dinner time!).

*$#@ happens, so the 202 could be a fluke, or a slow digestion of some high fat carbs. But if you see high numbers frequently at the 5 hour mark I would consider raising your basal though I know that's harder to do on long acting.

thanks for the advice.

Like Zoe said it's a judgement call. I personally would eat. but that's just me

At 202, I would eat and use my pump to factor in my correction. 202 is high, and I know you shouldn't eat when you're that high, but it's also not alarmingly high (IMO). If I was 202, I would eat, but probably opt for a lower-carb meal than normal, just to avoid rocking the boat. I would also be prepared to treat a crash. Sometimes when I'm just marginally high and then correct at a meal, a crash afterwards is likely.

As one who has had all sorts of riots with liver dumps, which can really ram the blood glucose vertical. For me the gut/liver digestion glucose release does not pull stunts like that. For some reasons, the brain/liver seem to get false low glucose readings from gut that can cause a liver dump. This usually should only happen when blood glucose goes sub 70. But for me I have also had dumps when BG is at 140 to 190 and as gut and intestine glucose generation heading down and I eat a snack, the liver decides to hammer the body.

MybustedPancreas provides good advice and data.

correct with the meal, check an hour, 2, then thre after the meal again. Start doing that after a few meals and see if you can find a pattern with where you spike post meal, and adujst your bolusing acordingly - be it longer before eating, or breaking up the bolus, part at the meal, part 30-45mins post.