Creating a white house petition to make all insulin over the counter. Need help with the wording

NPH yes, but not R. I think there is a lot of bad information about R caused by terrible, inflexible regimens that were imposed on everyone prior to the year 2000 by combining it with NPH peaks to cover meals. R is very predictable and actually very benign at small doses.

1 Like

Holy cow, @katers87! I cant believe you conscious? I suspect that it has nothing to do with BG levels or DKA at the ER. I think they are more likely to act if you are unconscious because they understand that you are about to die.

Having said that, I was a child, unconscious and collapsed on the floor of the ER waiting room. My mom carried me there. And, they still didn’t act very quickly. They made her stand there fiddling with paperwork, trying to work out all the insurance details before allowing me to be admitted. She was hysterical. She has always wondered if I would have made it if she didn’t have her card on her.

As an adult, unable to get prescription paperwork resolved, I have had very little luck getting access to insulin at the ER. I think they really prefer that you to be unconscious before you come in.

1 Like

I think it’s really important for everyone to ask their doctors about local ERs and which they recommend going to in case of an emergency. If you’re in a place with a number of options, often the biggest/best-seeming one is your worst bet, because they are the trauma center, which means you’re likely to be far back in line behind people bleeding to death etc. In my small city, there’s a clear winner for something like avoiding DKA and it’s the one I’d choose for anything I wasn’t expecting to likely need emergency surgery for or such. If you go by ambulance, they will usually default to the nearest one (or the trauma center if it’s clear that’s needed), but you can make requests that they will often honor if not too far out of the way.

Of course if you’re traveling or something, you have to wing it, but at least good to know your local options well.

1 Like

Its very helpful to getting in quickly, in an emergency, to come by ambulance. Don’t do the “I’ll drive you there,” thing in an emergency. If you come via ambulance, they take you straight to a bed, bypassing the triage nurse. That is MUCH faster.

Yes, based on my experience I agree. The ER did not give me any prescription or insulin for my plane ride home. I was so eager to get out of that place that I decided I was fine going without insulin for 3-4 hours until I was home (putting me in the 300s, but that was better than staying there). They discharged me with literally no plan on how I was going to keep my bg levels in range while on the flight. They told me that they could not give me or prescribe any insulin to take with me.

The ER was an absolute nightmare with my bg shooting up so high, and then they plummeted me down to below 50. It’s the only time I’ve thrown up from a low blood sugar. Permanent damage could have occurred. They had absolutely no idea what they were doing, and the doctors wouldn’t listen to me. I was completely at their mercy.

Getting Regular insulin at the pharmacy is a much, much better choice (assuming you’re not in DKA). I wish I had known that was an option when this occurred.

I’ve never been in DKA AFAIK, and somehow I still wasn’t while at the hospital even with my levels so high- maybe because they were giving me IV fluids. I assume that’s why they didn’t prioritize my treatment.

1 Like

I appreciate your input.

However, I have always been under the care of a endo. I have encountered more problems obtaining insulin prescriptions than I can even count or remember. There are many catch-22’s - problems with no solution and no action that a patient can take to overcome them. These are generated by a faulty system. They system can become so complex that it is essentially impossible to access life preserving medications and I’m a "gold star’ diabetic with 25 years of experience. The system should not be inventing prohibitively difficult obstacles to maintain life. Thats wrong.

I simply cannot understand how it is possible for people, with more obstacles than I, to survive.

For more info on the range of experience regarding insulin at the hospital, if your interested, see this post: Insulin at the hospital

This is a good point, how many of us would not maintain the schedule of appointments that our doctors sometimes demand if not for the need for prescription renewals. The motivated diabetic would and the so-so diabetic might but what about the defiant and uncaring ones among us, what would happen to them. Would they receive the care they need to survive?

I will admit that I often push back against what I consider unreasonable demands by my doctors but I have never gone as far as refusing but what if i knew that I could, I don’t think I would but who knows. Is it my right to ignore medical advice, sure it is, but it is also the doctor’s right to tightly control or, heaven forbid, refuse medical treatment if I do not follow the advice given.

It does infuriate me that the system is so rigid that someone can die for lack of insulin. Laws like Kevin’s Law seem to me to be an excellent start to solving this issue but it is not enough. There should also be a law that we can demand a paper script to be used at pharmacies away from home base that is good for an emergency supply.

1 Like

“And the pharmacist couldn’t help without a valid prescription.”

Change that word couldn’t to wouldn’t.

The excuse “just doing my job” was invalidated in 1946 at the Nuremberg trials.

Nothing happened but it I was told my next Rx would be denied because of an expired ID. They gave it to me but I was ready to call 911 and make a police report before just walking away.

No, it doesn’t work that way. I don’t have to stand online at the DMV extortion office under the threat of getting sick or worse. America has become pretty bad but we are not at the point yet where an expired ID means go home get sick and die. I wasn’t going to walk away. I was going to get my police report for documentation and from there to a law office.

But thanks for sharing this “Kevin’s Law.” Good share.

I am on it right now https://www.google.com/search?q=Kevins+Law+insulin

All the current system does for the defiant and uncaring ones is give them more reason to behave that way.

Time, travel and expenses = Let me just stretch what I have as far as I can. I know diabetics like that.

I view it as a death threat. Spend your money on travel and a doctor visit, in my case that is $170 or you can’t have the medicine you need to live.

Sure I could use the insulin that is currently OTC at Walmart but I don’t think I will live as long on that so its still a death threat.

Would be nice if I could just develop Stockholm Syndrome, lol, then none of this would bother me.

Its really not about all of the above, I just want the freedom to live like non diabetics. I want to be able to loose my supplies or Rx when I travel or even at home and just go to the pharmacy and re up.

I did the frantic search already. Did my injection, got a bleeder and that freaked me out and I never put my vial back in the refrigerator. The next day I go to get it and its not there.

I walked half way back to the refrigerator put it down to examine the injection site then forgot. The next night, the frantic search where did I put that ??

Why do I have to live under the gun, why can’t I live like a person without this problem. I can’t just go out into the world “naked” like everyone else. NO without clinging to some Rx permission slip and a vial of liquid or I am in deep poop.

Anyway thanks for making the case against my freedoms in this world.

Oh well this thread was a dud. Let it fall into the abyss of forgotten topics. I am done.

I don’t understand how I did not get massive support.

It really seems like people have Stockholm Syndrome.

How many times I have wished the same thing. Parts of me would, if given the chance, never step inside another doctors office but what I believe is a wiser part of me knows that would not be the best course of action. What still bothers me is being forced to comply when I would have done so anyway.

I look at it now like I do locks, they keep an honest person honest, in a way these infuriating rules keep a compliant person compliant. Just for the record, I despise that word “Compliant” or even worse “Non-Compliant”

4 Likes

Man you really need to take a deep breath and count to ten before posting things that most of us here would find abusive. While I personally COMPLETELY agree with you that insulin should be non-prescription beating up on other diabetics in order to try and make your point is in fact pointless and goes against our community rules.

Everybody is entitled to their own opinion when it comes to access to medications and how the American healthcare system currently works. I think most of us can agree that the current system doesn’t work very well for most people and changes need to be made. This community is a resource for many diabetics that are struggling with this disease and the more we work together the better it is for all of us.

5 Likes

I like this idea, makes me think that I must teach myself to use Walmart Insulin in a pinch before I get in one.

2 Likes

Its interesting that they are throwing the DMV into the process of obtaining insulin. That wouldn’t work here. Our DMV system is far too broken. On the plus side, the Dept of Public Safety databse is bleeding data. I think they have lost all the records about my car accident. For once, a system failure benefits me. I’m not going to say a word. I know a couple of people this has happened to. Remarkable good fortune…for once.

There was a fight on this thread and many posts had to be removed. This point made I remember.

Question is if making insulin prescription only makes for better outcomes why aren’t Canadians and the rest of the western world that allows all insulin sold OTC having worse outcomes then the US, the only country that has this Rx nonsense ?

I would have to did deeper but from the reading I have done the US is the worst country in the western world to have diabetes because of the hassles and costs.

Kind of a “let them eat cake” situation. Can’t afford heath insurance, regular doctor visits or artificially inflated list prices ? Go to Walmart and buy an inferior product OTC. We will allow that.

Cake is better then starving but still.

Who is throwing the DMV into the process of obtaining insulin, this Kevin’s law thing ?

Sorry, I guess you aren’t using the DMV for a state ID? That’s where we get ours. I thought that they were forcing you to show ID to buy insulin. Our clinics have started trying to make us show ID, but I don’t.

I thought maybe they were merging medical records with DMV stuff. Last time I checked in the mirror I thought I saw a human being and not an automobile so DMV needs to stay out of this.

I just looked again and I have two feet and two hands not 4 rubber tires !

The only place where I would say that medical records are truly merged with DMV systems is IL. MN and CA are borderline.

1 Like

I agree, seems this is why the language on the form in California is written the way it is. They’re asking a question that could very well violate HIPAA laws, so they’re doing it in a discombobulated way. Walking a fine line indeed. I just answer no and move on without any fuss.