Daughter Concerns

Hi guys,
Just fed her dinner. Kraft Mac And Cheese and chips & queso. The most Carby thing we have. Her pre blood sugar was 120. Will retake it in a little bit.

This morning her BG was 71 and after half an apple it was 112 so those numbers look good.

If she had an okay day with her sugars should I keep testing her for a few days? Or should I stop?

1 Like

If she’s fine, I don’t think you need to keep testing her. Wait and see what happens with the follow-up appt, but there’s nothing urgent happening in terms of blood sugars/diabetes.

If she starts vomiting again and can’t keep anything down, I’m less concerned about blood sugar and more that she may be getting to a point where she needs IV fluids, electrolytes, and glucose. May be worth checking with your doctor re when to make that call if that happens, and she can’t even sip on something with some sugar and electrolytes (think pedialyte), while you are sorting out what’s causing the vomiting.

1 Like

I used to work in a lab and we gave patients 2 options, go to McDonald’s and get pancakes w syrup or drink this nasty orange drink.

As for the question about your daughter, the more data points the better.
If her true fasting is 120 there is a problem.
I think the most important numbers are her fasting morning glucose before any food, and 2 hours after a high carb meal.

That is going to give you the most useful data.

1 Like

120 is pre-prandial at dinner, not fasting. Fasting was 71, which is great.

1 Like

Her 1 hr post meal was 110. I feel a lot better about these numbers.

3 Likes

The 120 pre dinner wasn’t “normal” and the 170 before wasn’t either. Something happened but??? But kids don’t like to get tested and she’s doing better. I would just watch for vomiting, nausea or fevers etc. If she does vomit I would try to test BG and ketones right away to make sure of what she’s at. Keep getting fluids down her and make sure she eats some.

1 Like

Ok!! Thanks everyone. I find it odd how she is having random vomiting episodes so when she does it again, I’ll test her.

3 Likes

You might write down what she ate 24 hours prior to nausea/vomiting. Food allergies can make you weirdly sick, but also certain foods can just cause issues with people. And some people just don’t digest certain foods well. It’s not easy to pinpoint what’s wrong sometimes, so the more information you have the better.

Plus even if she doesn’t vomit, you might randomly check her BG level in a few days just to make sure it’s staying in normal ranges.

3 Likes

There are unfortunately a lot of possible causes for the random vomiting episodes, and it’s worth remembering none of the numbers were particularly off for a kid, and her body has clearly been in recent metabolic distress, so while worth keeping an eye on blood sugars, I would try not to stress about them at this point and focus back on investigating the vomiting.

Does she happen to get red splotchiness on her cheeks and/or top of chest during the episodes? Or is she prone to that and/or hives at other times?

1 Like

I would suggest if possible keeping a food diary all the time for now. It will be easier to pinpoint what’s different if anything right before an episode if you also have data from the rest of the time.

3 Likes

Yeast loves sugar, there’s that. When diabetes is un dx’d or not treated, the kidneys go into overdrive to clean out the blood system, hence lots of urination and resulting dehydration. Is she also really thirsty?

I am a retired pediatric pulmonologist, but I practiced general pediatrics for 4 years before I specialized. From my pediatric training in addition to my own personal experience of developing diabetes as an older adult 5 years ago, I can tell you your daughter is at great risk of becoming seriously ill very quickly. She is at risk of developing diabetic ketoacidosis if she is not already in DKA. She needs immediate medical attention. If you cannot see her pediatrician tomorrow, I recommend going to an Urgent Care facility or Emergency Department. Jane

2 Likes