Daughter hates CGM!

Hi Everyone!
I worked so hard for the past two years or so to get my daughter approved from insurance company for the CGM. Well, finally got it and she hates it. Wore it for three days and will “never wear it again”. Its from medtronic and I’ve got to admit, it’s not at all what I thought it would be. But her biggest gripe is that it really hurt her on insertion.

So after two months of pleading with her to try it - I’ve basically given up (she’s 15). I’m just wondering is there any way I can sell this thing? I’ve looked on e-bay and don’t see any on there so I’m assuming that we are probably not allowed - not to sound like an airhead or anthing lol. And I’ve also got two insulin pumps - one animas and the medtronic (which we really don’t like) and I can’t seem to get any advice as to what to do with these things. I mean these are perfectly good and highly expensive pieces of equipment. Isn’t there some charity for underprivileged diabetics that people can donate to. If a doctor will approve the use of the item, and the parents can’t afford it for whatever reason, then why can’t someone just give them one. It kills me to have these things sitting here collecting dust! Obviously the pharmaceutical companies don’t want us to, but can’t something be done?

Lisa, you can donate the supplies to ipump.org
It is a non-profit group that is currently delivering diabetic supplies to kids in need. Take a look!

I don’t suppose you’d send it to me? I’ll even write you a nice thank you card. :slight_smile:

ask her endocrinologist for a prescription for EMLA cream it will numb the area prior to insertion.

Maybe that may lessen her dislike of insertion.

Thanks Joseph,
I just went to the ipump.org website. It looks like they are having some problems raising $$$ (who isn’t in these times). A notice says they need $15,000 by June 1st. It’s already June 18th - so I’m wondering if they received the money and if they’re going to continue on with their work. I’ve bookmarked the site and will continue to check back to see what comes up. Looks like something I would really feel good about sending this stuff to. If I can’t make some of my money back on it - I would love to help out some little ones that are in need. Thanks again for the info!

Thanks Cynthia,

We do have the cream but she is totally not interested anyway. She feels it’s too big and also doesn’t like having to wear that huge bandage over it. My neighbor’s daughter just showed me a Dexcom 7 that she is using and it’s much nicer. It goes on and stays on like the pump and you can keep it on for 7 days! But I don’t know that she’ll want that either. As a “self-conscious” teen girl, having to wear another thing on her stomach does not appeal to her - much to my dismay. I can only hope that as she gets older she realizes the benefits instead of the negatives or better yet, there will be a cure:)

Thanks again.

I suppose she has made up her mind. That being said I have to admit that for me the insertion is generally painless. I maybe had one in the five I’ve inserted so far that stung a little but worked like a champ. The needle size can be intimidating so I can understand that when coupled with a painful insertion it could be offputting. Makes me wonder if there are other reasons for her not wanting to use it. Bummer that she only tried one insertion and double that D-supplies are tricky to get to others that may use them.

I am trying to respond mainly to your first part of the discussion. Has your daughter been to Diabetes Kids Camp ???..this place maybe a good motivator, if other kids her age wear a CGM device …and the young lady is at the age, that no it is not fun to wear another device on her tummy or elsewhere , is it ?
My CGM insertion is not painful and yet I have a very low tolerance of pain . I did have a mishap once and poked myself with that needle …I am glad, I was able to mentally put that one on the shelf…because I do prefer wearing a CGM …hypo unawareness is no fun either.
Be well …

Eh, the one I inserted today hurt a little more than the others just to get me for the above comment.

Get with diabetic kids who wear CGMS and pumps!
I question there should be a choice for a 15 year old who needs every chance to learn about her own response in diabetes for her future’s sake. And what better time than BEFORE going away to college. In fact, college away from home is out unless one uses a CGMS for a year to get an education about self’s responses to foods and what insulin does.
However there is a huge difference in needles. I’m 104 lbs so the Medtronic needle is definitely a non-winner. The Dexcom’s needle is a nice small one, one I could insert repeatedly - at 7 days.
The information gained is SO important. It’s summer, though, and swimming is important to a kid. I wonder if there are some trade-offs. You’ll trade her Medtronic for a Dexcom - and you supply the if clause!
My sympathies - and BEST wishes!

Don’t get rid of it yet. This is such a valuable piece of equipment towards your daughters health and she is lucky to have the opportunity to use it. I agree with Nel & Leona. Find the resources to make sure your daughter has informed decisions about her care. If she is 15, her likes and dislikes change with the wind and might need to see things from a different perspective… from peers who have used the CGMS effectively. I would venture to guess the self-conscious issues are a bit more painful then the insertion. It is so tough being a kid with this diabetes. Best wishes

Thanks to all of you for your thoughts and sharing. I am not aware of any diabetes camps in our area. The closest are Pittsburgh and Akron I think and when I checked last year they were just too expensive for us right now. We just started some counseling. I’ve come to find that here she has been lying to me about her numbers all together. I had been trusting her and not really checking her meter any more because I figured she is 15…my bad apparently. So now I am checking everything, her meter, her pump and making sure she is actually bolusing, checking history, etc. I know I now feel like I’m having to watch a little kid all over again and I’m sure she feels that way too. But I have no other choice obviously since we caught her doing this. And I’m also beginning to think that perhaps there is more to the CGM than what she was complaining about. I still think the Dexcom 7 is the way to go, but if she isn’t even doing the basics… I know that other parents have had these problems as well, so I don’t feel completely like the worst mother in the world lol. I am truly hoping that the counselling will help her (and all of us) through this difficult time she is going through. Thanks again everyone!

I’m so glad that teens only lasted so long…cause there’s already so much pressure as a girl trying to both figure out who you are and also establishing yourself within a group…plus crazy hormones sometimes…and then to add D on top of that…especially with how highs and lows can play with your mood… so I’m happy to have moved into the 20s…
Like others I agree with others about the benefits of diabetes camp (or really any kind of contact with others who are going through the same thing she is)…however, don’t feel bad if she can’t make it to one because as good a experience as it can be, it doesn’t match up with her day to day life where most (or like in my case none) of the people she spends time with on a regular basis have D or even really understand what it’s like… which can be kind of alienating…so I can definitely understand why someone wouldn’t want more things attached to her…which further differentiates you… as great as CGMs are…it won’t necessarily give the best care…if it makes a user more resistant to taking care of themselves…I think personally that having the desire and motivation to take care of oneself is more important to long term health than any device… so hope the counseling works out and it’s good she has a mother that’s looking out for her …

my fifteen year old son is in the same place. i have to check everything for him, which is so strange to me because he is very responsible in so many other areas. i think that there is a control issue with diabetes for these kids, and they want to buck the tether on it. it is the most important issue to make their own though. i tell him all of the time that if i am the one to control his diabetes he will not benefit at all, this is his condition and he has to stand up and do it. don’t know if that is any help, but at least it is sympathy…