Deaths Partially halt diabetes study

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080206/ap_on_he_me/diabetes_heart_trial_2

This was also on national news tonight.

I’ve seen that news, but they don’t say how they were lowering the blood sugar. They must have been using some type of drug therapy. I try to keep by BG as close to normal as I can, but that just means I don’t eat so much.

The paranoid side of me wonders if this is just a way to scare diabetics into accepting higher levels…

I found this:

In one section of the ACCORD study, the NHLBI split participants into two groups. One group received intensive blood glucose control treatment designed to bring its members’ average A1c down to 6%. The goal was reach A1c’s that were as close as possible to those found in people without diabetes. Medications given to the intensive-control group included Avandia, Actos, Byetta, Precose and generic drugs. These were combined with dietary and exercise guidelines designed to drive down A1c’s.

http://www.diabeteshealth.com/read/2008/02/08/5648.html

Still seems very odd.

Ed,

It does seem very odd and to be on all the newscasts and magazine articles is just so wrong and not to go into further detail is wrong as well.

Perhaps those patients had heart disease going into the study and were too far gone to reverse damage with tighter control. Many ideas/thoughts have crossed my mind as to why these patients died, too many to list.

Just so wrong to list this study and not to have more data as to why these patients died and to say it is because they had lower A1C’s and the study was stopped just seems so wrong.

Avandia

The group’s request comes in the wake of a recent FDA decision to require a “black-box” warning on Avandia alerting users to the increased risk of heart attacks. Researchers claim that 13,000 instances of heart attack and heart failure in the United States can be attributed to the drug.

Yes I have heard about this and it is not very comforting. But I do wish for the sake of people with diabetes they would have gone into more detail about this study. Anyone have more info on what caused these deaths? I’ll definitely be looking for more info.

This was a study where they put people who already had heart disease on very high carb low fat diets, with nutritionists nagging them to eat all those “healthy carbs.”

Then they put them on all the oral diabetes drugs one after the other, and then added huge doses of insulin, because they were eating all those carbs. Then they put them on all the blood pressure drugs one after the other, then they put them on a statin and a fibrate.

With all those drugs in their systems, contending with the very high carb diet, no wonder they were in bad shape.

The results of this study, along with the results of another (CONFLICTING) study, called ADVANCE, got published in the New England Journal of Medicine last week.

What are type 2 diabetes patients to do with such uncertainty and the confusion these studies are bound to cause among doctors?

Read this Washington Post article for more details.

Indeed, amiga. You are VERY right! Which reminds me… I have to finish reading her book!