Devilish Doctor's Orders

Thank you so much Ms. Zoe ^_^ I'm just doing what I feel I have to.
It'll all work out in the end :)

There’s nothing wrong with going to the nurse if that’s your preference but the bottom line is the nurse is completely limited to what the Dr’s orders say. Her scope of practice doesn’t allow her to deviate from those orders. If something has changed with your diabetes then you need to contact your endo and get new insulin orders for the school. This is something your Dr’s office can help you with. Don’t forget it’s something they deal with all the time with students as any medication needs an order from the Dr.

funny thing about tu is I worry about folks until I feel like they are moving towards the right solution, you got great advise here I want to make sure you understand the most important thing now is to contact your endo so they can help you start matching your insulin to carbs and setting up a correction factor. they will give you a new order to give to the nurse so she is in the loop also. once you start on this there will still be crazy times esp. with being a growing teen and all but you will have a bit more normalcy and control over your blood sugars and with what you can eat! there are a lot of great books out there to help but where you are coming out of your honeymoon period your doctor is probably the best one to be in touch with things may change frequently but then things will settle in. keep that good attitude it will take you far in figuring this all out and helping you learn how to live well in the world despite your diabetes. keep shining bright, amy

Since you are now having to be your own "parent of a child with diabetes" I suggest you check out the ADA forum (diabetes.org - they have a parents board with lots of good ideas, and the children with diabetes forum. I would also contact the ADA directly. They have advocates on staff who can advise you. Also contact your local ADA and JDRF offices. They may have people local who can help you draft your 504 plan.

Are you seeing and endocrinologist right now? If so, it is obviously time to set up your insulin to carb ratio. And, there is a great book out there Think Like A Pancreas that can help you and so can John Walsh's book Using Insulin. Both are available at the Diabetes Mall (I think the site is www.diabetesnet.com - but it is findable by googling Diabetes Mall. Once you have a 504 plan, the "legaLITY" OF VIAL SYRINGES SHOULD BE SOLVED. yOU WILL ALSO GET THE "RIGHT" TO DO YOUR OWN INJECTIONS. mAYBE LOOK INTO GETTING INSULIN PENS. tHEY AREN'T AS "SYRINGE-Y" AND MAY BE EASIER FOR YOUR TO HAVE IN SCHOOL.

(oops, hit the capitals key). Although having diabetes isn't a disaability - there isn't anything you can't do, the Americans with Diabilities Act does protect your right to manage your diabetes at work/school. And that's a good thing. You sound like a remarkable young man. Stay tough.

Hi, Jay.

I have a son who is now 10 and was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes when he was three. At the age of ten, he has not once gone to the nurse for his diabetes this entire school year yet, because he is able to do everything he needs to in his classroom or wherever he is, He works independently or with verification from me by communicating directly with me via text messages.

This is all specifically identified in his 504 plan. The nurse is there and prepared if he needs his assistance. It just has not been needed yet.

It is of paramount importance to me that he not spend time going to and from the nurse's office or time waiting in any way to manage his diabetes just to be in a room that is considered "medical". There are simply far too many times during the day he needs to take action to care for his diabetes (check bg, bolus, etc.) that to take the time to go to the nurse's office each time would significantly restrict his instruction time. It is unnecessary and to force him to go to the nurse's office since it is unnecessary would be discrimination against my son, under the law.

As is the same for you.

Although what is included in a 504 plan can vary greatly, I believe every student living with diabetes should have one regardless of what grade they are in. In protects YOU. The school may tell you it's unnecessary. A 504 plan does not protect THEM. It holds them accountable and ensures that there is no misunderstanding regarding the accommodations that are agreed to to ensure you are afforded the same access to an education as any of your peers.

Doctor's orders are important and it sounds like perhaps you need yours to be modified. They can be modified to say that you manage your diabetes independently. I think I read that you are not completely comfortable with that. I don't know you, Jay, but just from this post, you seem like a very capable, independent person. But if that's not a good fit for you now - to take care of things completely by yourself - have the orders modified to explain more specifically how insulin should be administered. It is simply not acceptable for you not to be able to correct high blood sugars.

If you need a suggested format for this, let me know. I can get you a copy. Also, the ADA has sample 504 plans for various grades that you might find helpful.

I have scanned the other comments - there are so many great suggestions here. You can get this straightened out. What you are currently experiencing is completely unacceptable.