Dex charger does not stay in?

Hello everyone,

My Dexcom charger does not stay in well at all and I’m wondering if it’s just mine or if it’s a common thing. I sleep with it under my pillow and every night I wake up with it off the charger (I charge it at night to keep it full). It seems when it is charging all I have to do is (very) slightly pull on the cable and it comes out.

I'd like to stay in a little better just for the nights when I charge it!

Thanks!

I normally put the receiver on my night stand by my bed. Then I don’t have to worry about the problem of it coming out easily. :slight_smile:

Yeah, I’ve done that too. I just wanted to know if I had a defect or if others’ chargers fit more securely.

My charging cable comes out pretty easily… just a tug will do it, I consider it more of a safety feature than an annoyance. I’d rather not have to pay for another receiver.

My charger comes out anytime I sleep with it on the bed with me, I always put mine on the nightstand or headboard while charging.

Yes! A year ago when my DexCom was new the male conmnector had a spring loaded catch that locked the fitting into the receiver. That feature has worn out. In retrospect the level of finish and materials are not what one would expect for an instrument as expensive as the DexCom system. OTOH the receiver probably has an intended useful life of threee or four years before the battery and other parts go. By then DexCom expects be marketing a newer device.

For now, it is possible to make a simple retaining device with a single a rubber band. Put the male end of the charger through the rubber band, insert the charger into the receiver, then twist the ends of the rubber band to make loops and pull the loops around the receiver. Like Lane, I just put the receiver on the night stand and the charger seems to stay put. aaron

If I charge while sleeping I put it on my nightstand. If not charging, I sleep with it at my side. Better to charge when you’re working at the computer or something like that.

I think the key here is that the spring loaded catch (the part that says PUSH) should be pushed whenever connecting or disconnecting the device. It’s similar to some iPod connectors where you can force the cable in and out but should really squeeze it.

Since it’s not supposed to be charged overnight, as overcharging taxes the battery, I figure the fact that it unconnects during the night is a plus. It’s annoying to me that it seems to unconnect at other times though.

Any piece of electronics at this point should have a circuit that prevents overcharging of the battery. If the Seven+ doesn’t, Dexcom seriously needs to hire better engineers.

I always charge it overnight… (about once every 3 nights) my first one lasted nearly a year with no problems (and then died due to something not at all battery related). Perhaps it strains the battery but I haven’t noticed.