Dexcom g6 fda approval alert!

Dexcom has gotten FDA approval to advertise the G6 in the following manner:
"Zero fingersticks
The Dexcom G6 eliminates fingersticks for calibration, diabetes treatment decisions and diabetes management.*
*If your glucose alerts and readings from the G6 do not match symptoms or expectations, use a blood glucose meter to make diabetes treatment "

THIS IS NOT GOOD - Insurance companies will use this as a push to stop paying for blood sugar strips, meters, etc. Please contact your local ADA, JDRF, and FDA official to revoke this.

Bunny

Really? I am so excited about the idea of no fingersticks! Guess I won’t need many strips after I get a G6!

This is a improvement in treating your diabetes. If it works as advertise I will reduce the number of strips I order. If you do not use a G6 I am sure that insurance companies will continue with the number of strips you use now.
Don

I agree that they’re ridiculously stingy about strips already–they should be giving them away, IMO–but I don’t think your concern actually makes sense. CGM supplies are way more expensive than meters & strips, so if they wanted to save money, substituting the G6 for fingersticks doesn’t seem like a smart way to do it.

2 Likes

No, my HMO will just keep pushing one touch strips. I cant even get them to pay for a CGMS.