Dexcom.. Should It Stay? Or Go?

Well ive had my Dexcom for about a week and a half and while its really good and whatnot i only have basically my abdomen to wear it and im fairly skinny… i was in a motorcycle accident and ive had problems ever since including a blood clot in my left leg… and it was a very bad accident BTW… now im on percocet/vicodin daily for almost 2 years and ive noticed when i take one and it kicks in my CGM bugs out! it was reading 340 so i checked and it was 230… so long story short should i use the CGM for a few months then stop or should i just wear it permantly… Give me some of you feedback or questions… Thanks!

John is right. Check the manual of the Dexcom. It will state a contraindication for Tylenol users. Stop using the Dexcom - it will give you false readings and you just waste sensors. Discuss this problem with your medical team. Maybe you can find a medication without Tylenol or better another sensor system without this limitation. I think your current medication is far more important than to have a working CGMS - but this is just my opinion.

there are other pain meds out there that do not have tylenol (I can’t have tylenol due to bad kidneys) and that will reduce swelling…but until you change meds or can get off them, using the dex is not useful

There’s an alternative to Vicodin with Ibuprofen. I think its Vicaprofen or something like that. I had to take it after a surgery because I couldn’t take the regular Vicoden since it has tylenol in it, and I had no problems with my CGM readings after that. Try calling to see if they’ll change it for you.

actually the dexcom is spot on for the most part just for a hour or so after i take it then it goes back to normal… so im not gonna stop using the dexcom right now… i just wanted your opinions… i know its acetaminophen ive been on them for 2 years so yea i know and i also now about dexcoms warning…

its alittle easier to just say stop taking it… you have no clue the pain ive been threw and go threw…

I would think that when, how, and where to use a CGM is a very personal thing. Over the years, my insulin requirements, my diet, my activity level, my workouts, everything, change and fluctuate. All of these thing affect BG. I don’t know if you need to wear it permanently, but it is useful to have CGM data to see how any changes you make affect your own BG. I guess that would depend on how many changes you plan to make over the life of your own Dexcom.

I have worn my own CGM permanently for over a month and I’m still learning things about my BG profile. YMMV.

yea i want to wear it for alittle atleast ive learnt alot about my BG also and im sureee theres more to learn