Diabetes, a huge task added to already busy lives

Have you ever tried “breading” fish with crushed pork rinds? I’m also wondering if almond flour might be used to do this.

2 Likes

@Terry4 I recently heard about pork rinds, but we’ve never had them. They are on my list to try! I have switched bread crumbs for zucchini with almond flour and coconut flour and they turned out great. Thank you for the suggestion to try it with the fish! I never gave that a thought!

1 Like

Thanks for the different perspective beacher. My sister’s mother in law was born in Italy, so when my sister travels to Italy they usually stay with relatives. My sister says that they are served great quantities of food and it is insulting to refuse something that is made with love and pride.

My husband and I took a two month trip to Great Britain and Paris about 30 yrs ago. I ate whatever I wanted and covered with insulin. Since getting heart stents in 2010, after being a type 1 for 50 yrs and realizing that my diabetes might not have caused my need for stents, I am very careful about what I eat and I very seldom bolus for extra foods.

I eat a very low fat vegan diet with no oil of any kind. I find it almost impossible to ever eat out. The food my husband and I eat is very delicious but we have to make it all ourselves.

Like many of you “Long Timers” have said, for me diabetes is just part of my life and I’m accustomed to the things I do to manage it. Heck, I don’t even remember what it life was like without diabetes! Still, complications scare me and keep me on course.

I also get hyped up about new diabetes technology and that keeps me on a positive track. When I first had my Apple Watch displaying my blood sugar, I was proud showing it off to the people at my gym, as if I had just purchased the latest and greatest smart phone. I’m sure they wondered why the heck I was so excited. My CDE calls me one of her “techies” so I assume she has other patients that feel as I do.

But I was taken back a few years ago when Jim Tyree, one of the Illinois JDRF chapter’s largest donors and a long time T1, was at the podium at annual fundraising event. He had a kidney/pancreas transplant a few months earlier, and said that he had no idea how s*itty it was having diabetes until all challenges and acute problems we’re taken away.

Hopefully there willl be a cure for T1 and we can all enjoy that moment of revelation, sans the transplant of course!

1 Like

I use chickpea flour to ‘bread’ fish. You could also use it to ‘bread’ veal escaloppes I guess. It makes a nice crunchy covering for the food.

2 Likes

I am a type 2 , 25 years. I just have my routine ,pool 3 x a week, walk,counting steps. I eat carbs in am, less as days goes on. Traveling can be a challenge ,mostly take my own food even to my kids houses.lucky my sister is a great place to visit as she goes over my diet before we come to visit. Nancy50

1 Like

@Terry4 I shared the idea of pork rinds with my husband today, as a means of breading fish or anything. He likes the idea, so we’re going to give a go in the near future!

@Pastelpainter I really like chickpeas, but they have a tendancy to raise my blood sugar. Legumes of any kind do. I do eat them all but I’ve gotta watch. I never realized they are in flour-form now. That’s wonderful for those who can tolerate them!

1 Like

Hi Terry,
I sent your post to a friend who is a retired physician but still very much active in healthcare issues. He suggested you send your post to:

I have a friend, Victor Montori, who is a diabetologist at Mayo. He is also the founder of Patient Revolution, an organization that seeks to put patients back at the center of healthcare and refocus healthcare workers to be servants to their patients.

Apparently, Victor actively seeks out patient stories like yours. Just fyi so far.

2 Likes

I totally agree about being a Type 1 diabetic.Recently my husband an I went to out mountain house for the weekend. I knew that I needed to change out my sight and I thought that I had taken everything I needed, WRONG! I realized that I had forgotten to bring my Quick Inserter - Medtronics. Thankfully, I only live about 1 1/2 hours from where we were. So, here I go home to change out my sight. What a pain. I’ve only been a diabetic for only 2 1/2 years and it has certainly changed my life.