Diabetes and statins

True dat. Sometimes every hour!

Because I tend to sound like a religious zealot about the dangers of statins, I’ll just leave it that I had normal levels of cholesterol and was pushed into preventive use of statins that caused three heart attacks.

Everyone is different, all that I ask is to do your own research and be extremely aware of the dangers of statins should you go on them.

As aside, I will start on Repatha next month. We’ll see how that goes.

Or take statins and die from a Widowmaker like I nearly did.

My ldl is usually 170-200 and hdl in the 70-90 range.

My endo pushed Lipitor, then pravastatin after the Lipitor caused really bad muscle and joint pain. Pravastatin was no different than the Lipitor.

At my last visit my endo gave me a sample of Repatha and tried to get me a prescription. 6 or 7 hours later I was driving and had to pull over as I had completely doubled vision. For 4 days I was dizzy, had double or blurred vision, and was extremely nausios. Thankfully my insurance denied the prescription, I will never again put that vile concoction in my body.

I have a very demanding job and have not called in six a single day in over 15 years, this was the first time ever. Statins make me feel 100 years old. There is no way I can keep my activity level up while taking them.

pravastatin was the one I also had trouble with, but it was muscle weakness rather than pain, as well as jacking up my liver numbers.

All the information I have come across aligns with Terry4: high cholesterol levels do not lead to heart disease. Tests for cholesterol levels are incomplete as well. There are good and bad LDL but no one tests for size of LDL. The so-called ‘normal range’ of cholesterol was lowered to put more people in range to take statins. In the medical industry, everyone makes money on the drugs but the long term side effects of taking statins and not getting enough fat to the brain have yet to be revealed. I for one will not worry about my so-called high-ish cholesterol and look after my brain which is my favorite toy. Brains need cholesterol.

Every person is different. In the not distant future we will see that an individual treatment plan based on the individual’s microbiome will be the road to health, not pharmaceuticals that exist to make corporations profits and only treat symptoms rather than the underlying cause which is inflammation from environment and food.

Another source for statin information for me was: drcate.com. Doctor’s only know what they have been taught and pharmaceutical companies fund most of the research at universities.

My GP suggested I have my cholesterol analyzed and said the results were the best he has ever seen for someone who has higher LDL levels. I have very few dense particles. The cardiologist said that he used to do those studies, but now says he doesn’t think that they help predict heart disease. My theory is that no one really understands cholesterol. I have read many conflicting studies.

I was diagnosed with diabetes at 8, Coronary Artery Disease at 44, and took statins for the first time in the 1990s. I remember getting a reading of 99LDL, 99HDL early on, but the LDL kept creeping up. When the doctor increased the statin, I got serious muscle pain, that interfered with any walking; the muscle pain recurred with each different statin tried, so I hadn’t taken any in years.

My CAD did get worse, and after getting a couple stents 5 years ago, at age 67, I relented and tried Lipitor again, at lowest dose every other day. Didn’t do a whole lot for the cholesterol, but I was having to increase my insulin intake substantially, and bg control had gotten more difficult than usual (presumably decrease in sensitivity, but not particularly consistent). My endo finally persuaded me to try Repatha (took him some time and effort to get it covered by insurance, he seemed really motivated). Well, it helped my test numbers quite a bit at first, but by the end of the year, they had inched back up to the point that my BC/BS special prescriptions plan refused to cover it any longer (it was so expensive that the only way they would cover it was through a special plan).

I think it is primarily the diabetes that has led to my heart disease, but I know I have a genetic tendency toward it, also. At 72, my current plan is to just keep my bg in as good control as I can while living a life that brings me satisfaction, as long as I can. Statins, for me, make that more difficult.

Not wishing to stir anything up, but because of your own stance on statins, readers might assume all the doctors you list also come out against statins. Which generally they do – when prescribed to a healthy population. Andreas Eenfeldt and Aseem Malhorta, for instance, jointly stated in 2016, “Statins should probably only be prescribed to people at very high risk of heart disease (usually only people with preexisting disease).” I would think that included people with diabetes, since there isn’t much argument that we are at higher risk of heart disease, with a greater chance of heart attack and stroke.

Since my father had an unexpected and nearly fatal heart attack a few years ago, and both grandfathers died of heart disease, I’m comfortable with taking a minimal dose of statins as a preventative (and it’s only this constant swirling debate that makes me hesitate to take the full prescribed dose). Incidentally, I’ve never had any side effects.

Not necessarily. My brother the cardiologist points out that the vast majority (if not all) of the research on diabetes and heart disease was conducted on T2 diabetics. Other than they both cause high BG, by different means, and they are both called diabetes, and they both have nasty complications caused by those same BGs, there is very little in common between the two diseases. Until someone does some serious research on T1 diabetes and heart disease, I would not assume that T1 diabetes makes someone more susceptible to heart disease than the same person without diabetes.

In your case, you have a family history, so there is sufficient justification for statins for you, even ignoring your diabetes.

This is a personal decision. With the variation of individual circumstance and metabolism, it’s understandable there’s a spectrum of rational choices on this issue. It would be nice if medical science had already arrived at a definitive and proven beneficial treatment, but we’re not there yet.

I wish you the best!

I’ve always been an outlier.

I am serious. I am not a troll, I am not looking for trouble. I believe Dr. Malcolm Kendrick. Not interested in a statin in any shape or form.

I love this forum and this debate! A wealth of information, personal experiences and opinions.

Lauri, the debate is similar to political and religious debates–no one will change their opinion. :slight_smile:

People are weird. What happens to us that closes our minds? And we fancy ourselves as the superior beings on the planet.

And arteries… in this case :wink:

Ugh… if you are referring to “my case”… maybe I’ve revealed too much personal information to this forum. Lesson learned. Going forward I will PM those whom I would like to consult.

No I’m just referring to the statins/ diabetes topic in general.

That’s fine. Still a good lesson in revealing too much personal information.

I don’t know what you’re talking about. We are talking about diabetes and statins. I know of no personal information.