Diabetes: If you never had the chance to grieve, how to do it?

I couldn't possibly count the amount of times I've totally forgotten to enjoy my life and had to remind myself all over again! (Both before and after D)

i have been there. i was dx'd at 17 and I got this way in my 30's. I was a mess and needed serious intervention. I went for talk therapy and and now use that and a combination of drugs for depression.

Please consider starting talk therapy. This is important.

Rick Phillips

It's a hard thing.....I finally approached my condition by telling people and myself "there are worst conditions to have like cancer". Needless to say there are days where I curse my diabetes and all the daily things we have to do to treat it. I think maybe that is my release but I never let it go beyond a day.

I think I'm grieving on an off myself finally, I can still hardly believe I even have diabetes at times, it has only been about 9 months for me. I've had a lot to deal with even other than D. I do get very discouraged at times but I also say to myself at times it could be a lot worse- an untreatable cancer or something else worse.I think one thing that keeps me motivated is remembering how horrible I felt in the icu and for both my hospitalizations- I don't want to ever go through anything like that again if possible. I'm terrified of going back there so that is a major motivation for me. I use mdi, if I could tolerate things under my skin I would try a pump- the cgm was a disaster for me. If you really work on your diet & exercise this will hopefully help a great deal, but you have to decide to do it yourself. Do it for yourself, because you and your health are worth it... There will still be times everything will just go crazy anyway probably, but then you just accept that and do the best you can. It is very exhausting- be good to yourself and allow yourself time to rest and time for some fun too as everyone has said. I recently asked my endo if any type of cure was on the horizon as I HATE being on insulin, and he said he thinks something major is going to happen in my lifetime. I hope he is right, he is doing his own research for type 1.