Diabetes Service Dog for 12 year old T1

We are looking into training a dog for our son.

So far Southland Dog Training seems to be the most knowledgeable and most reasonable in our area of Florida.

Has anyone used their services or have a recommendation for this type of dog training?

Have you considered an insulin pump and a continous glucose monitor? Easier and more effective-- all science and no clean up.

Makes your son less of a standout--which all diabetics love. When we fit in easily, it is easier. The dog creates a "disability." In 2012, stick with the technology, as your son will most likely accept that easier, and be more willing to test the tech....

I looked into this, and did not feel it was helpful. If the BG is very high, it is OK. My understanding is that the dog can sense changes in the odor of your breath, which is why it is better for highs.

Best wishes!

I have a service dog that I use primarily for mobility purposes. I trained him in scent detection using a protocol similar to what Dogs 4 Diabetics in California uses. They are the most reputable diabetes alert org. in the US. Be sure to vet any alert dog programs VERY well, most of them have integrity issues. I can't really use the CGMS because of skin fragility due to a collagen mutation and my dog alerting at night has saved me more times than I can count. Good luck.

No

I'm currently on the waitlist for a dog from CARES, inc. in Kansas. You can go to the diabeticalertdog.com forums for lots of info on how to train to low bloodsugar scent.

Sorry.

Diabetes alert dogs can certainly be helpful, but they are a backup for good self-care, not a primary source of care. One should always look to things like a CGM as a primary way of monitoring blood sugars and avoiding hypos or hypers. A dog can be a last resort, and they can be effective, but they don't replace good practices and technology.

I have to ask what problems you expect a diabetes alert dog to address? Can you describe the problems that your son is having that you think a dog can help with? Has he been having bad hypos? Overnight? At school?

I agree a CGM is useful however it may not be an "ideal" means of self-care as it requires calibration and corroboration with a meter. Perhaps an advantage of a dog? I am certain my dog knows when my BG is off however she looks sort of the same way if she wants to eat (most of the time...), go outside, play (also most of the time...she's 2...), etc.

I was making fun of BSC using the term "self-care" as I hadn't seen it around that much! hee hee...

@ rebuckster -- we don't have a policy at TuDiabetes that people must "stay on subject", whatever you intended by that comment...?

This is an open, supportive forum for sharing our experiences as diabetics. Some of the BEST, most useful information I have gleaned here has been via "off topic" side discussions on threads that started on a different topic (e.g. a discussion about dawn phenom that veered off into discussing bolusing for a high-protein meal -- until that moment, I'd had no idea that gluconeogenesis could result in high BG's hours after eating a big steak, for example.)

I think T1Forever's post was appropriate and well-intentioned, given the topic, and I think it would be nice if you'd apologize for snarking.

I know, I'm just sayin that if it was my kid being hypo unaware, having bad hypos overnight or at school, I would be right on top of it. And the first thing I would do is a CGM with alarms. And if it is still a concern on top of that, a diabetic alert dog is certainly worth considering. But I have run into a number of people that want a diabetic alert dog as a companion. A diabetic alert dog is a working dog, not a companion.

Gee, I didn't want rebuckster to leave either. This "angle" is very saddening?

oh dear...now what...?

I'm sorry to see what had started as a simple discussion got so off track and such strong feelings involved. Sometimes, we don't always appreciate how our words will be understood by others. I'm sorry that rebuckster left. And I'm sorry about T1Forever. These forums are open, people have a right to express their ideas and make comments. But by the same token, we always need to be respectful of the community and do our very best to not be hurtful or disrespectful of others. At this point, I think we need to take this as a lesson and move on.

I clearly missed this discussion (by the time I read this threat, rebuckster's posts were gone). But I didn't really see anything wrong with what T1Forever was saying -- it was just T1Forever's opinion. I don't think we can censor opinions.

Rebuckster,
Could you please share your decision? Have you proceed with getting service dog for your son? I am thinking about it, and your experience could be helpful.

I found Diabetic Dog Alert University very useful.
http://diabeticalertdoguniversity.com/?doing_wp_cron=1346979377

There is a Diabetic Alert Dog Group here at tuD which might interest you.

thx, you r right, I found there lots of info