Diabetic extrovert or introvert?

I think my first post was a pretty straightforward statement of my approach Dave. I'm not exactly sure why it garnered a response, but it did.

I appreciate Brunetta's point of view and my intention was not to attack her or anybody else who shares her POV if that's what you're impression is of what my response was. I appreciate the fact that she, like you is an extrovert, apparently about many things in your lives of which diabetes is just one.

She, like you, is coming from a different place than me, but if her 45 years and her experiences as a diabetic has led her to be a diabetic extrovert, or just express her diabetes naturally through her personality, then she deserves every bit of the 'You go Girl' you wished her.

I expressed a contrasting POV that my 30 years of diabetes has led me to, and my intention was to make it clear that where I am now has little or nothing to do with what led her where she is now, or anything to do with those around me, diabetic or otherwise. If you don't seek those things, great.

Not sure why my experiences qualify as "baggage", or how my statement of pretty much emotionless disregard for the general public at large as it relates to my diabetes means I'm not, actually, chill, but so be it.

Best.

No worries, The baggage I was reffering to was the implcations you made about validation and acceptance.

Given no one has expressed any such motivation, it seemed a bit out-of-nowhere to be brought up, and seems a bit judgmental for that reason.

No worries, The baggage I was reffering to was the implcations you made about validation and acceptance.

Given no one has expressed any such motivation, it seemed a bit out-of-nowhere to be brought up, and seems a bit judgmental for that reason.

Introvert. The ONLY people who get me are on TuD.

Well, yeah, it was a definite statement and an observation. Judgement was not my intention and, if there were any negative implications gleaned from it, I certainly meant none.

Sincere apologies.

You said...

I find that this openness is, most of the time, disarming to others. My theory is that, they see me happy and treating it like it's no big deal, just a part of life, and they adjust their attitude accordingly, at least when I'm around.

That's seems a definitive statement of purpose. You also mentioned that you don't like the judgemental types. Dunno, but I can only assume that your approach works for you to deflect such things and help you be perceived as the type of person you actually are, despite diabetes.

Seems a bit out of nowhere and judgmental, however, to be told to chill for expressing a different approach.

We are both diabetics. I wouldn't even think about engaging in a discussion like this with person without diabetes who couldn't have a hope of understanding either POV.
we don't have to agree, but we can understand.

Extrovert, without a doubt. I feel that talking, not whining, about it is educational. When people understand how you struggle at restaurants, or see you with a bad low, it makes them realize that PWD work hard to just to live a fairly normal life, in addition to all the other daily stuff we all have to do.

It really makes a difference. They sort of understand, which is more than I can say about the masses that are TOTALLY uneducated about diabetes.

I am an introvert by nature. I can keep up my end of the conversation, however, if the topic interests me. I don't hide my diabetes care but will use some discretion with needles since I know it makes some people queasy.

The public's perception of me changed quite a bit when I teamed up with my hypoglycemia alert dog, Norm, three years ago. I was warned before I got Norm that it would be an open invitation for the pubic to ask questions. I find it interesting how people struggle with trying to figure out what Norm does for me without actually asking me what medical issue I have. I freely tell them that I have diabetes, use insulin, and that Norm helps protect me from dangerous low blood glucose.

Norm is a great ice-breaker and I find I have at least one discussion every day with someone about diabetes. People are way more interested in dogs, especially working dogs, than they are about diabetes.

Since Norm was given to me by a non-profit agency, I feel some responsibility to at least offer information to the public about diabetes and service dogs. Like a few others here, I don't actively seek out interaction with the public about diabetes but walking through life with a service dog removes a significant layer of anonymity. I don't mind it but don't usually bring it up in street conversation unless I'm asked.

Rarely/never share it in the real world.

My disease is nobody's concern, or business except mine period.

I'm not an educator, nor a circus specticle. If someone gets to know me, if, only if I trust them... in time, I will learn about them, and they might about me. But no standing on the table and lecturing about diabetes here...

Not a prayer...

I'm usually an extrovert, but there are rare exceptions. For example, the pre-med advisor who runs my honors program doesn't know anything about my health issues, except that I have them and (very rarely) miss school to see doctors.

I also tend to be an extrovert around certain people that I know are only going to make me feel worse about it.

In general, though, everyone knows a lot.

Yes, I did say,

I find that this openness is, most of the time, disarming to others. My theory is that, they see me happy and treating it like it's no big deal, just a part of life, and they adjust their attitude accordingly, at least when I'm around.

What I didn't say was,

I find that being open, rather than paranoid and defensive, is disarming to others. My theory is that, behaving like I have something to hide, terrified about others judging me, causes people to be antisocial and tend to being a bit hostile.

Do you see the difference? The baggage in the second form?

Do you not see the similarity in this statement of yours?

I do not require the general public's acceptance, or leave, or understanding, or, maybe, the assurance that comes from the attention that some others might get.

No one, until your post, had said anything about "requiring" any of the things you say there. The paragraph carries an air of superiority, and disparaging judgement about those that are open.

That's the baggage. And it wasn't necessary to make your point about you, and your approach. Note that in the original posting and all my subsequent followups, I never defined my perspective in terms of what others do -- i.e. "I don't need to..."

This is a related comment - I wrote an article called Who would You Be Without Diabetes? and it's getting a lot of comments. Mostly people with type 1 sharing their stories. Please check it out and consider adding yours. How has diabetes changed you for better or worse? http://www.diabetesselfmanagement.com/david-spero/who-would-you-be-...
Keep well and have a lovely weekend.

I'll say it again, the phrase you find so offensive was aimed, specifically, at a response that was directed, specifically, at me. You've taken it completely out of context.

Beyond that, I've said nothing disparaging to you or anybody else but I've apologized anyway. Now I'll apologize for apologizing and attempting to engage you about your POV further.

However, in a thread where POVs are being invited, being told to chill out, then subsequently judged, lectured to, and chastised is way out of line Dave. Way out of line, and, makes everything else you've said disingenuous.

I'm not surprised you "disarm" people regarding your diabetes. I've taken some pretty cheap shots because your own "baggage" made you take something personally that, literally, was not directed at you and, literally had nothing to do with you.

You made it all about you and what you think about me without even acknowledging anything I actually said about myself or my own POV.

Maybe you should be the one to chill out.

Hi Brunetta,

Dave does have a point regarding my statements, themselves, as directed towards you. I do owe you an explanation and an apology for any unintended offense.

You said you were taught that diabetes was a "private matter". I was too. My parents hardly even talked to me about it and certainly not to anybody else about it. What I learned about "private family matters" was that they stayed private, in good part, to avoid questions. There was always the feeling of whether or not testing in public, or injecting in public, if lawful, was publically acceptable nonetheless. I was even physically accosted at one point because one "concerned citizen" thought I was doing drugs.

Hell yeah, that's baggage, and the statement was about myself but I certainly don't feel shame now, if I ever did.

After 30 years, I know I just don't care anymore either way.

As an extrovert, in general though, it's hard to think about putting myself out there in the public, about anything, without expecting some measure of acceptance because of it. Telling a joke comes with the expectation that people are going to laugh. I would assume that other extroverts want the same thing and that a "diabetic extrovert" also expects acceptance of the fact that they have diabetes.

That, I did assume of you, and other "diabetic extroverts", but it was not meant to be disparaging.

WOW guys, I did not know that this simple discussion would stir up a bit of contention FHS and Dave, dear Tudiabetes cohorts, I am not in the least offended by any response to my teeny comments. Everyone can express their own opinion here, and nothing in the realm of being derogatory or judgmental has been said.

I will check out your article, David Speron RN,

Everyone have a grand weekend!

God Bless,
Brunetta

You're a sweetheart Brunetta, always been. 3 day weekend!

I'm actually an introvert, but have learned to be friendly on an individual level, LOL! I don't intentionally hide my diabetes, but it's not really obvious -- if I'm at a restaurant with friends, I don't usually test (bad girl), but just go by my CGM, which I slip discreetly out of my pocket, and then get out my pump and bolus in my lap. Someone once asked me if I was saying grace when I did that!

That said, the people in my life who need to know about my diabetes do. When I've had lows, they've been there, and when I had an episode of DKA a couple of years ago, they took care of me. They DO ask if I've taken my insulin (because I have an eating disorder, and therefore the urge to omit), but it's out of caring, not because they're the diabetes police.

If I am in a situation, like on a group tour or workshop or something, I make sure the leader knows, but I don't think I need to tell everyone.

On the other hand, if someone else tells me they have diabetes (usually T2), I'm always eager to educate them, and figuratively hold their hand. I have studied both types a lot, and I do have knowledge and good information if they want it. But I don't force myself on them.

So that's the story!

well I'm an extrovert about Diabetes but there's something in me that prevents me from being an extrovert in saying that I'm a diabetic myself .. I don't want people treating me differently because of my diabetes .. but I do tell close friends just in case !

Oh I’m so rooting for you to get that kind of claim!!! I hate to open a can of worms (I am fortunate and have great insurance coverage for strips) but any idea what impact of Obamacare will be on coverage for Diabetes - other than the marketplaces offering new coverage to the uninsured???

I’ve always been very open but was ‘spoken to’ on Friday by my boss that my testing my blood sugar is upsetting some colleagues. I was even told I draw attention to it by checking my pump all the time (I have a CGM) and it distracts from what I do. I am so upset by this and have never experienced anything like this in the 23 years I’ve had the disease. I have a colleague who is a Type 1 as well, also on a pump but no CGM and I was asked why he ‘does not make a big deal’ or is ever seen with his glucose monitor. Has anyone experienced anything like this?

Wow La, I'm so sorry this happened :( I haven't had this happen to me- at work I don't test etc. while teaching, for various reasons, this is my choice though. I go to my office or a clean, private, faculty bathroom, usually I wash my hands in the bathroom if I'm not in a hurry and not during a class and I test/inject etc. in the office. In the US diabetes is protected by disability rights and we have the right to test and inject insulin, treat low blood sugars etc. wherever and whenever we want/need to as far as I know. But I think people do have to enforce that for themselves in some situations because some employers will try to take advantage of the situation. A lot of people do hide their D though. Do you have anyone in your place of work who you can speak with about what the regulations if any are regarding all of this? You should be allowed to do whatever you need to do and to not be made to feel it is wrong.