Diabetic Lawyer/Cop/Medic/Nurse question

Not to me. Some think this might be a case of Prader-Willi syndrome.

I’ve never heard of polyphagia as a main symptom of T1D. And doing nothing else but eat and excrete doesn’t mean he suffers from polyuria.

And where does it say anything about the symptoms you talked about earlier?
“rapidly losing weight despite eating well,
voiding enormous amounts of urine, and
terribly thirsty and
weak.
Luther said that if any living thing could eat and drink that much while still losing weight and remaining thirsty,”

2 Likes

I’m gonna keep looking into this, Tim. It’s more in writing that they shouldn’t let me out because of liability and protocol. Im struggling to find something that supports my position. The epileptics said, right off the bat, that it sounds like I’m going to need a lawyer to work this out. They have the first compiled resources for lawyers related to medical that I have seen. So, good start.

As purely a diabetic, your odds are better. Usually EMS doesn’t transport me for diabetes, unless I’m out cold and/or there’s a witnessed seizure, which they assume is an immediate life threat because it could be hypo seizure. That is an automatic transport to the hospital everywhere in the US. But, those are the EMS rules. The hospital rules are different, and more up to the doc. If I write a healthcare directive, ill post and let you know if it ever gets used.

My experience and intuition tell me that it’s best just to wait for a good opportunity and then make a run for it. I will need a type three to bring clothes.

1 Like

Whatever works best.
It was fun but I can’t keep going round in circles - it hurts my head.

Bottom line is you have to stand up for your own rights.

There are only two things that will keep me in a hospital.

1. My choice.
  2. A pair of handcuffs.

I am completely serious. I don’t buy into the notion of having to do what anybody says just because they tell me I have to do what they say. This is the United States which is very much different from other countries.

1 Like

EMS rules/laws vary from state to state as does nurses, PAs, NPs and physicians. Each state has licensing boards and state practice acts and these health providers are bound to those practice acts in which they practice. Nurses working in compac states can practice in different states and apply for license in the states they are working, but as work in different states they must follow the states practice act they are working at that time. Also nurses, PAs, NPs, and physicians are bound to follow policy and procedure guidelines of their employer. Said employer cannot take anything away from the states practice but they can add further restrictions.

The police are not in charge of medical. But, here is a very goofy situation where the cops WAY overstepped. Its more common than you might think. This happened to me once as a EMT, and it is against the law. It is ‘interfering with a peace officer,’ (although, nurses aren’t considered peace officers, its very much the same) and the police can be guilty of it. That nurse did EXACTLY what she is supposed to do. Individuals can be unclear about what their authority is and things are not always clearly defined. https://www.washingtonpost.com/video/national/utah-officer-suspended-over-nurse-arrest/2017/09/01/266e658c-8f5b-11e7-9c53-6a169beb0953_video.html?utm_term=.5e11bbd6746d

1 Like

With respect to the case cited in Luther’s works, we have three prominent features of type 1 diabetes described: onset in puberty (age 12), polyphagia (eating too much since the patient cannot benefit from what is consumed since insulin is not present to metabolize the calories), and excess excretion, which includes polyuria, perhaps the leading single symptom of diabetes. It is important to keep in mind that we have a case very briefly sketched and described by people in the early sixteenth century, who did not know what features to regard as salient in diagnosis. Also, we have the report third hand, since the people with that child told Luther, who then made his remarks, which were then written down by the amanuensis of the table talk, so in the process, no doubt many details were omitted. I would say then that taking into account all the fog of history, it is not unreasonable to suppose that a case of type 1 diabetes seen through the eyes of Renaissance Germans might lurk behind the report we have.

As for Prader-Willi Syndrome, once again trying to see such a case through the eyes of a Renaissance German, I would think the main thing contemporaries would notice would be the weight and the developmental delay. Also, given the choice of hypothesis to account for the data, I would prefer the explanation with a one in three hundred prevalence (type 1 diabetes) to that with a one in 10,000 prevalence, as Prader-Willi has.

Quite so. However it is equally reasonable to suppose that the lack of detail and possible misreporting of which you speak has the result of concealing a fact that would cast those we have in a completely different light, leading to an entirely different conclusion. Bottom line, there is nothing probative here. It may be calculated speculation, but it remains speculation.

3 Likes

an interesting note that excretion in the 16 century meant urine, sweat and feces with feces being the predominant meaning for excretion per my history professor.

The three major symptoms of diabetes (The Three P’s of Diabetes) used this to help nurses and doctors remember the symptoms of diabetes when they were starting out in practice and in school.

Polyuria - the need to urinate frequently.
Polydipsia - increased thirst & fluid intake.
Polyphagia - increased appetite.

Sounds like my cat.

Vet just gave three pills for tapeworm. Problem solved.

Maybe tapeworms weren’t invented back then.

1 Like

No, only one: polyphagia.

T1D can develop at any age.

This is not exclusively a symptom of T1D.

No, ‘excess’ is your interpretation.

I would reach the exact opposite conclusion.

I’m sorry, but this is pure speculation.

Wouldn’t the less prevalent disease be more noteworthy?

1 Like

In some religious thoughts this passage means a person of age able to take care of self but only takes from parents and others (only taking, and wasting) and must be the work of the devil. After all it was the 16 Century. Maybe they didn’t realize people could be lazy. Interesting…just a thought😜

That was the first thought that crossed my mind when I read it, it’s just a lazy boy who eats all day long and only gets up from his chair to go to the toilet. Then I read that some think it describes a case of Prader-Willi. Maybe they’re right, maybe not. But a diabetic? Probably not.

I agree.

Good research, everybody. Depends on the source, but I think Finland and Saudi Arabia have high incidence of diabetes. We may have to scour the Nordic sagas and Arabic lit for mention of it. Lol.

BoBoerenkool: You say that there was no indication of excess urination in the passage cited, but it says “he did nothing else but eat and excrete.” That sounds like a lot of excretion, which includes urination. If I say, “I did nothing else but run,” I’m running a lot.

You complain that polyphagia is not exclusively a symptom of diabetes, but few things the body does are exclusively a symptom of any particular disease, since the repertoire of the body’s responses is more limited than the range of its malfunctions. Consider, for example, the vast array of conditions that can be described as involving ‘fever.’ We might just as well complain that a patient presenting with polyuria might have diabetes insipidus rather than diabetes mellitus. Look for horses, not zebras, when you hear hoof beats, as the medical school saying goes.

You complain that type 1 diabetes can be diagnosed at any age, not just 12, but since it is overwhelmingly a disease having an onset at puberty, having this child diagnosed at 12 increases the probability that it is diabetes. It even used to be called ‘juvenile diabetes.’

You note that the case would be more noteworthy if it were Prader-Willi Syndrome, but if we are looking for a hypothesis to account for the data, it is more reasonable to look for explanations which are more common rather than more exotic.

Drat. I have been trying to stay on the sidelines during this debate, but I can’t let that pass. T1D can strike at any age, and does so far more frequently than is generally supposed. The number of cases among very young children is substantial. I am personally in contact with several cases that were diagnosed before age 3. And the number of adults wrongly diagnosed as T2 is very significant indeed. It’s a major and perennial topic all over the DOC. The examples are legion; here is just one.

Used to be” are the key words. The name was changed {and those words stricken) for a reason.

4 Likes

@Kevin23 - Very funny you should ask. For some reason, I too have been searching for such a feature. Something in the universe must have aligned for us both to be trying to look for the same functionality. Odd. Anyway…

I believe the bottom line is you can mute a thread (topic, conversation, whatever you want to call it) but you can NOT mute an individual. This was discussed by the developers of the forum software and they decided the downsides were just not worth it. It was mentioned that “flagging” as you also have done is likely the best approach for certain situations.

However now that you have brought up the thought of a special avatar - I am going on a new AVATAR HUNT !!!

2 Likes

To you it sounds like excessive excretion, but that isn’t in the text. Read my previous post:
“it’s just a lazy boy who eats all day long and only gets up from his chair to go to the toilet”
You could describe this as doing nothing but eat and excrete.

In medical journals you’ll sometimes find a case report. What do you think such case reports are about, horses or black and orange striped zebras with blue polka dots?

1 Like