Diabetics are restructuring healthcare

I think that diabetics are restructuring healthcare in the U.S. Is that too large of a claim? I don’t think so. Let me make my case.

1.) Diabetics have a particularly intimate relationship with tech.

That led to patient built Artificial Pancreas Systems. That was a real big deal and huge impact on FDA. We have (continued) development of learning algorithms from CGMs and fairly customizable personal medical devices. That’s pretty unusual across medicine. The fact that we have so much control over operation of these devices is different than other chronic illness groups. We are a unique situation that has led to unique and pretty profound movement.

2.) Diabetics have a huge dependence on Pharma.

This has DEFINITLEY led to exposure of some of the flaws inherent in the medical system. Diabetes, specifically, has led to an increase in government regulation of that entire industry. The insulin manufactures have been pulled in front of Congress. That’s no small act.

3.) PBM regulation (and perhaps their very existence) is a DIRECT result of diabetes

No one ever knew what a PBM was, except the diabetics. You all had to explain it to me here on the forum again and again.

4.) Insurance

This is where everything gets cloudy. Forever people liked to say, “Diabetes is bankrupting the US healthcare system.” Somewhere along the line, the script flipped and became, “The US healthcare system is bankrupting diabetics.” I think diabetics got sick of getting blamed for everything by the insurers. Everybody flipped the entire narrative. Nobody came for the insurers like the diabetics because they are so heavily dependent on it.

5.) The practice of medicine

Diabetes is unique because we provide most of our care and we have to because no Doc sits by our side continuously delivering care throughout the day. The benefit and the curse of having so much control/responsibility has led to forums like this one. I think that this forum has been profoundly influential of the paradigm of diabetes care.

6.) Legislation/Regulation

The diabetics have been coming for industry for a long time, relentlessly. This has ABSOLUTLEY prompted PBM regulation and “the diabetes financial problem” IS the lens through which the success of healthcare regulation and delivery is judged. Part of this is because of Type 2’s. There are sooo many type 2s in the U.S. They are a substantial proportion of the U.S. population. No other illness can say that. They account for so much of the significant, preventable disability that results from illness/lack effective care.

7.) Diabetics are a badass constituency.

They are super high functioning and capable segment of the community of chronic illness. I’ve always wondered if that’s because we die if we are not super high functioning. Working within serious constraints, I think leads to really creative and/or capable individuals. I dunno. Diabetics are just badass. I can’t explain it, but people of other chronic illnesses are also really badass. There’s something about working within constraints that’s good for ya’ somehow and builds some REALLY formidable individuals. People with disability really normal people look like mushy oatmeal. “Normals” just collapse under any obstacle. Diabetics are relentless survivors. We are very difficult to kill.

6 Likes

They aren’t just coming for the insulin. They are coming for the cancer drugs - the whole ball of wax. What do you guys think about that? They have, at least, started trying to address the long list of complaints everybody had 10 years ago. Some of these problems are complicated and time consuming to solve.

I think that activists diabetics had a part in it but I think that accountants and Medicare played a bigger part. Our free enterprise pharmaceutical system costs the US an enormous amount for me-too drugs and minor tweaks to old ones that the rest of the world doesn’t accept as reasonable .

1 Like

Medicare plays a big role. I know that it’s kinda a lobbyist strategy to create policy via Medicare as a first step to pushing policy thru private policy…kinda like establishing a legal precedent, I think. It used to kinda make me mad because I felt like the only lobbying that gets done is on behalf of Medicare, but that’s just because it’s easier to push things thru Medicare (compared with pushing on private insurers - that’s hard).

Minnesota is getting sued again by Pharma. MN is like the Honey Badger…it just doesn’t care. But, part of me feels like MN sues pharma, pharma sues MN, MN sues pharma, pharma sues MN, etc. No one ever wins a lawsuit, so nothing ever really gets settled or established. It’s just back into a different hornets nest, year after year. The Crazy Nastyass Honey Badger (original narration by Randall) - YouTube

I feel like there might be a super high bar to jump over and that it’s possible that a bunch of legislation over a long period of time has been written to benefit Pharma and now no one can undo the finger trap they allowed everyone to get stuck in…not the States…not the Feds. I fear that we might be stuck in some sorta unending legal nightmare that involves repealing laws. I fear that after watching this all play out over many years, we really don’t have any way to visualize how difficult it is to change a system. IDK.

Generic group sues Minnesota over a drug pricing transparency law.

I feel like all the States are working together like a pack of wolves, alongside the Feds and STILL they are barley able to push on any part of the system. They can’t implement ANYTHING without getting sued by pharma. Pharma is relentless. Worst of all is the insurers, but there are no good players. People unanimously all hate the entire healthcare complex, but it’s so much work to change any little thing.

1 Like

When I looked up PBM, I got Pharmacy Benefits Manager. OK, but I would not have thought that was such a big deal. But maybe it is. I also got other definitions but… that seemed maybe the most likely. Unless Playboy Mansion or on and on! ha ha!

1 Like

LOL, your correct.

It’s a real big deal as far as it has impact on drug pricing and the integrity of American drug markets. Somebody else has to explain why because I’ll never be able to do it. :grinning:

MN passed one of the first laws requiring them to report data. I believe that data was a first step in helping CA make their lawsuit. For a long time, no one could get any data. People knew they were up to no good, but no one could prove it in court.

For many years, no one talked about PBMs except the diabetics.
Here’s another video: Can Someone Tell Me What A PBM Does? - KFF Health News

So, when you see a name that starts with “Optum,” like OptumRx, that’s a subsidiary of United Health Group (one of the largest health insurance companies in the US). The PBMs here in MN are kinda the same company as the insurers - which is why its a tangled mess of market fixing.

A analogy might be this: Medtronic and UHG are both located in MN. Sometimes they make deals under the table. Not that long ago UHG wrote into their policy that Medtronic insulin pumps were the only “safe” insulin pumps on the market and therefore, it was the only one that they agreed to cover. The diabetics know that’s not true and freaked out and started a fight with UHG (who later backed down). MT was cutting UHG some type of deal under the covers and trying monopolize the T1 medical device market. They are sneaky.

Sometimes I wonder, though, why the responsibility of enforcing integrity of US markets falls on a bunch of disabled people to do that work for free. That seems messed up. I think MT was specifically targeting use of insulin pumps for pediatrics. So, they were targeting the parents of T1 kids. Kids don’t lobby, so it probably seems like an easy target. But, parent of T1 kids have a hard road. It’s unethical to target them with all the power of the insurers and medical device manufactuers. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LH6MstVxehQ&t=49s

It was actually a bad chess move to for the large insurers to start fights with the parents of T1’s. Alec Smith’s mom got real mad and started a BIG fight. One of the main software developers of Loop APS was a mom who got mad. That’s big trouble for industry. Those women brought big fights to the big companies. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbyAZQ45uww

That must be how democracy keeps from breaking, through the relentless efforts of many individual citizens, together. The internet does a lot to put groups of common interest citizens together and develop perspective.

https://loopkit.github.io/loopdocs/intro/overview-intro/#development-history

These people, who might be us, are crazy. You gotta be crazy to start fights with those large companies and systems. But, you gotta be even crazier to win those fights. A lot of the people were women - mothers of T1’s. I don’t think those accomplishments can be underestimated. The odds were completely against them. Its remarkable. The Troggs- Wild Thing - YouTube

Sometimes I wonder if it’s unreasonable to think that a bunch of diabetics can out lobby all the pharmaceuticals, hospitals, medical device companies, and the insurers. Right now, I’m gonna call it a stalemate. But, what if we can’t keep this up forever? What’s to be done? What will become of us?