Diabetiquette: Is there a right or wrong answer?

Thanks to ALL who replied I appreciate all the feedback. I hope others read this and become less afraid to test whenever and where ever they need to. After reading this I will be more concerned about testing and less concerned about where I am doing it!!!

I work and am in many meetings, My pump is an integral part of me, and has all the bells and whistles; Unless I am in a job interview it is best for folks to know how serious I am about my regimine so I test and treat by bolus as needed. I am very lucks that I can afford the technology. .

Ron-
when I was about 17 I was on injections. I never minded testing or injecting in front of people, but there was this ONE time where I was out with my best friend at a Friendly’s. We were minding our own business and were going to eat lunch. I tested my blood at the table and thought I was being discreet. WELL… I guess I was not discreet enough because an older woman (okay at 17 she looked really old, but she was probably in her 60s) came over and started yelling at me. SO…my best friend (whose brother was also T1) leaned across the table and gave me my injection in front of her! Yes, I look back now and we laugh about it! Perhaps it was a little over the top for some.

I learned long ago to accept that the diabetes is a part of me… like an appendage and it’s not going to change. I never hide it. I test whenever and wherever I need to. I am no longer obnoxious about it, but I do what I need to do. If I don’t take care of myself, I can cause problems for me and if I don’t check before I drive a car, I can cause problems for others too!

My advice… Don’t be ashamed … we didn’t ask for this. Be proud of how well you take care of yourself!

I don’t hide my testing and I wear my pump out in the open. Why hide it?

Not long ago, a man with two little girls pointed me out and said to one of them, “Look he has a pump, too.” Maybe, at that moment, that little girl felt a little less alone (or perhaps just embarrassed).

With testing, I do it when I need to, and I find that most people could care less. They usually don’t notice, like Terry said.