Diagnosed 08/14/07 at age 33

Hello everyone.

My sister Mollie directed me to this site, she has been a Type I for 33 years and coincidentally I was diagnose at age 33. I am a Hospital Social Worker and was at work on Tuesday and was not feeling well. Knowing the signs of high blood sugar from growing up around diabetes I asked a nurse to do a finger prick, the reading came back HIGH. So she tried another meter and it came back HI. I went down to the ER and they did a serum glucose level and it came back 686. They gave me 10 units of regular and 2 hours later I was at 60, my first low, I felt like I was going to die…
My A1C was 11.0.

I was admitted to the hospital and just got out today. The Dr.'s and RN’s were shocked I was not spilling acetone and that my total cholesterol was 144, Triglycerides were 115, LDL was 88 and HDL was 33. So the only thing bad there is my HDL and it is not terrible.

So I spent 3 nights hospitalized and the first 2 days were a roller coaster bouncing from 300 down to 60 up to 250 and as low as 35, I really felt like I was crazy at 35. Last night and today I have managed to keep my blood sugar below 170 and only went below 80 once (56) and was discharged home this afternoon.

My sugars have been good thanks to my sisters advice I and taking one unit of Humalog per 15 carbs and the hospital has me taking 35 of Lantis at 9:30 every night.

I find that I spend 95% of my time thinking about my blood sugar. Am I crashing? Am I High? Ma I crashing? But I know in time I will figure it all out and life will return to normal.

I am glad my sister directed me here and although I would rather not be a member I am glad I am here.

Cheers,

Mark

Mark,

Wowsa what a story and I am so sorry about your diagnosis. I was on Lantus and humalog for awhile before I started pumping. Just an FYI, Lantus did not last 24 hours for me so I had to split the dose and take every 12 hours. So if you start to experience lows during the night and extreme highs after your dinner, it would be something to think about. It took me 6 months to figure that one out and then I told my endo and she wrote it down to tell others with the same issue. This was when Lantus first hit the market.

Hope things go better for you soon and I am glad you have your sister to guide you.

Welcome Mark!! It does take time to get used to but you WILL get it!!! Just remember that and all of us are here to help you out anytime!!!

Hi Mark: Your story sounds a lot like mine. I was also diagnosed at 33, and I was shocked as I was fit and never thought I would develop it at 33. The Humalog and Lantus sounds like a good plan. In the beginning, your body is used to the high blood glucose but give it time to adjust and follow your plan. See what works for you with foods, exercise and also watch the lows. I’m sure your next A1C’s will be better. I was also on Humalog and Lantus, but Lantus eventually became unpredictable for me so I switched to Levemir, which has worked out fine. It’s good you have your sister to help you out. Don’t get too overwhelmed. It all will work out if you stay on top of it.

Peter

Though I was not diagnosed with a very high blood sugar, I was diagnosed at 30, so I can relate to your story too, my friend.

It’s hard at first, but I wish we had something like our community back then… I can totally understand what you mean when you say “I would rather not be a member”… but I am glad you are here too, man!

We’re here for you!

mark, whoa what a story! some of our diagnoses were pretty dramatic. mine was!

anyway i’m glad you are taking it well and that you know you will figure it out. love that attitude! and it’s good that you have your sister to help you out. this initial phase must be pretty tough for you. it’s still tough for me to come to terms with my own diabetes since my diagnosis a couple of months ago.

oh and i totally understand your blood sugar obsession. i am still obsessed with my blood sugars and have used up an infinite amount of test strips in the few months i’ve been diagnosed. all the best to you and i’m sure you will get the hang of it soon.