Diagnostic Code for LADA

Hey Guys,

I'm a little confused and need some help. 15 years ago, I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. Now, the nurse practitioner at my Endo's office has told me that I am actually a 1.5. I went on insulin really quickly after my diagnosis, my C Peptide is low and the amount of insulin I require is much lower than the average Type 2. Even though she has now changed the diagnosis with me and put it in my chart, plus she has said I'm definitely insulin dependent and/or requiring, my insurance slip still says that I'm Type 2. Do they usually change the diagnostic code to either Type 1 or Type 1.5 when they realize the Type 2 diagnosis is incorrect? Do I need to push them to do that in some way? I see a new endo in February, in the same group, and plan to ask him. I just wanted to ask you guys what your experience has been. Thanks.

Hi Meda-Kay. Yes, your diagnostic code should be changed. There is no diagnostic code for "1.5" or LADA. You are a Type 1. LADA simply refers to the onset which was slower and later in life. Your code should say Type 1. This will make some difference in terms of things like how many test strips your insurance pays for and if you decide to get a pump or CGM at some point. So yes, you should definitely talk to the new endo.

Thanks. I know she said it would make a difference in 3 years when or if I go on Medicare and want to keep my pump

Wow, you got a pump with a Type 2 diagnosis? I didn't think that was easy to do! Yes, I just started Medicare and am in the process of doing labs and sending the results off to Animas, with logs, etc. I've never given anyone logs! Nobody ever asked before! It's a process for sure, but I'm hoping with my other insurance too it will work out well.

A similar thing happened to me. Agree totally with Zoe, your records should say Type 1.

Zoe, my control was so bad as a 'T2' that I got a pump and CGM.

Sorry it took you 15 years to get the correct diagnosis.

Wow! I didn't notice the 15 years in your post! I was misdiagnosed for 19 months and that seems long to me. But the good thing was they put you on insulin quickly (and gave you a pump!) I actually did fine on oral meds for about 15 months until my numbers started to climb and I was forced to figure out why.

Yeah, 15 years to realize the mistake, but I was put on insulin within a year after diagnosis. I think it's just been a long time since someone kind of looked at the whole picture and didn't just make the quick assumption. I tried Prandin in the beginning, but it stopped working very early on. I just want to make sure I can keep my pump when the Medicare time comes. I know making the change in diagnosis isn't going to impact how I'm treating my diabetes at all. I'm already doing everything they would have me do as a Type 1.5 anyway. I haven't had an A1C over 6% since going on the pump 3 and 1/2 years ago. Before that it was in the 7 to 7.5% range. Quite a difference.

Thanks. At least the treatment has been right all along. I went on insulin within the first year after diagnosis and on a pump 3 and 1/2 years ago.