Diet and exercise only?

As you’ll see when you start taking some insulin it’s not always a purely linear formula… I don’t imagine a very small dose of basal would necessarily require you to eat any more carbs in general… and the ability to correct elevated blood sugars with bolus is pretty liberating, instead of being able to do nothing but worry and stress

1 Like

Well, that is definitely the issue haha. It is becoming more and more a razor thin line every day: eat just enough carbs to not go low from normal activity, and not enough carbs to go into hyperglycaemia like any other diabetic. And this recent weight loss issue is what is really scaring me: if I literally can’t gain weight, it makes me worry that my insulin production is so low that I’m actually in danger of going into DKA. My last two bloodworks fasting insulin was non-detectable, but I also haven’t gotten seriously ill since diagnosis. What happens if I get the flu when I don’t have any insulin?

I just don’t have any way to evaluate all the risk at this point, so I think it’s time to see an endo and consider options. My wife is just going to have to get over her fear :slight_smile: And, to be honest, I will too.

1 Like

Also might be worth noting that many internists treat many adult T1s and end up basically specializing in diabetes… it’s not exclusively endo territory… I suspect there might be docs just as good with diabetes closer by if you’re looking in all the right places

1 Like

Hrmm, that is worth looking into. I hadn’t thought of that before.

edit: just checked, no internists (or any doctors) who treat Type 1 here. I think I’m going to have to drive up to Spokane, which is OK I suppose.

Endocrinologists are just internists who’ve completed a fellowship in endocrinology. Not all endos even see diabetics, some internists only do, and everything in between. The term “endo” is given more clout around these parts than it really justifies…

But you gotta go where someone who knows what they’re doing wants to take on your case wherever / whoever that might be

1 Like

@David49, with low carb, you add protein to gain weight, the fats are for energy. use a food counter, it can be hard to get enough fats and then you will burn body fat. sooner or later as a LADA, you are going to need insulin

set up the profile…‘macronutrients’ as ‘high fat/ ketogenic’, then set to ‘relaxed’ and add another 20g of protein a day. other than a possible DP, your bloods should be perfect on this, if not, I would say you are ready for insulin

this set meal plan should give you perfect numbers too, if you are getting high numbers on this, I would think it’s also an indicator you are ready for insulin.
http://au.atkins.com/new-atkins/the-program/phase-1-induction.html .

Hey David,
Sounds like you talked yourself into seeing an endo – I think that’s a good idea especially if you keep losing weight on your current diet. I’m kind of surprised you have to go all the way to Spokane to find someone but you might be able to work something out where you don’t have to drive there that often.

3 Likes

My endo sees multiple patients with Type 1 diabetes every day. Day after day after day. My internist has 2 patients (me and one other) with Type 1 diabetes. So who do I trust to manage my diabetes? Not even close. Of course my endo.

Yes but there are other internists who see many type 1 patients every day and are highly skilled at it and receive referrals for that purpose from many other doctors just like your endo probably does, and are highly renowned for their expertise in the field and invited to be keynote speakers at diabetes medical conferences, etc… and some endos who don’t treat diabetes at all… the big picture is more important than the label

2 Likes

i am trying to find out what effects of metformin are. does it lower your BGL and can u eat more carbs with metformin? i don’t want to take it if possible but don’t like my low carb diet.

I have been taking Metformin for several years now and eat low carb because it keeps my bg numbers low and will help me avoid complications I hope.
Have you searched on the net for low carb recipes and diet plans. I find eating low carb more interesting and enticing than eating lots of carb fillers.
Of course, if you are willing to do a 30 minute walk after every higher carb meal you can control your blood sugars, but you need to test to find out how many carbs you can eat and how much exercise helps you lower your bg.
Here is the link to the Recipe section on TuD. Recipes - TuDiabetes Forum