Different infusion sites?

I am a huge fan of rotation of sites. I mean, it was drilled into me when I was diagnosed that rotation was everything! My parents and I were given little charts of the body with patterns to follow to make sure we rotated.
After 20+ years of injections (5 a day before I switched to pump), I switched to a pump. Again, was drilled about rotation. If I didn’t, major absorption issues. And I am very happy to say, all that stressing the importance, has paid off. After 30+ years of pumping, I have no bad spots.
But I am always looking for new spots. I have started using my flabby underarms with great success. And of my coworkers has started using her breasts. And yes, I cringed at first but than was like, maybe?
So I emailed my endo to ask his viewpoint. My biggest issue personally is that I have very lumpy, dense breasts and have gone through the biopsy issues a few times and it is always calcification. He did say that some of his patients do use this site but he felt it might not be a good site for me with my medical history.
So I am probably not going to but wondering if others have go results with this site and is there any other off the wall site that might open up new options.

2 Likes

Because insulin can function like a growth hormone, I would never take the chance of injecting insulin into my breast tissue.

1 Like

I placed an infusion set and sensor in the fatty area at the top of my breast/toward underarm before I had surgery. This kept them far away from any surgical field. It worked fine. I haven’t used them since, though.

I have not tried areas other than abdomen, but would consider side/hip area. With the self contained auto inserter, seems like this would be easy to do, near where back pocket is.

I use inner thighs and arms for dexcom.

Yeah, I know this is probably off my list of possible sites & after watching both my Mom and Grandmother do the breast cancer battle, I do want to go down that road. I am on an every 6 month mammogram check in. Just keeping an eye on those lumpy, questionable areas.
But like I said new site are a necessary thing when you have been pumping this long. I know I am rotating well but always open to new possibilities.
I use abdomen, upper & lower, buttocks and hips, thighs, inner and outer, arms under and upper. I think the only place would be calf but then I get into the length of the tubing. Now everything is 23 inches unlike my much missed 32 I think it was. Not sure if the tube would make it from calf to waist band.
New sites are always on my radar but thinking breast will be a no go for me. But I guess not out of the possibilities for other without my medical history.

I go all around my hips and sides of my butt. As long as I’m not sitting directly on it. I overused my abdomen and I rested it a long time. I can use my abdomen again but I rarely do. All the scar tissue is gone though. After about a year. 3 months using compression tee shirts helped.

3 Likes

Yes to this. I’m a guy, and started using chest/pecs about a year ago and am very happy with stable absorption and comfort. (Using pods.)

Two spots you haven’t mentioned: above abdomen over lower ribs (I tried once, wasn’t comfortable, but others have no discomfort) and on the back, between neck and shoulder (not somewhere I’ve tried yet).

No, I will never use my breasts. Too sensitive and I have similar issues with cysts to you but no biopsies, I was followed with spot magnification at some point. I use my sides/ hip areas and stomach. I probably don’t rotate enough but so far things are OK most of the time.

I have a lot of problems with pain from insets, when I had put them on my back I had really severe pain once so I don’t do that anymore.

I have the tubing also to deal with and it needs to be close to my waist. I wear everything on a pump belt case. It is difficult enough with it there.

I use the side of my chest under the bra band area it works great and I can’t usually feel it. I don’t think I could tolerate the set being on my breast.

Can you tell me a little more about the type of compression clothing that helped you heal your abdomen? I’ve been injecting/pumping over 40 years now and have always rotated, but I’m getting more and more areas all over my body that I can barely use anymore. Tyvm

1 Like

I used ones I found on Amazon. I had a few diff brands.
If you usually wear large, go for medium and if medium go small.
The constant pressure some how allows the scars to heal.
I wore them every day for 3 months except when sleeping.

3 Likes

Thanks Timothy. Appreciate it! :slightly_smiling_face: