Disaster Plan for Diabetes - what happens after 72 hours?

We should all have an emergency kit for home and school to last 72 hours, and our school lets parents pack a kit to leave at school.

The earthquake, tsunami and radiation leaks in Japan leave me wondering what happens post 72 hours?
Can we assume children with diabetes will be evacuated or supplies will be brought in? What happens if you’re separated, and your child is at school and they only have the written plan and supplies on hand to go on? First responders and physicians will be pretty busy in the first 72 hours with critical issues. After than you’d think it would be possible to relocate or get critical supplies in.

I’ve wondered what to do if supplies were limited and hopes for evacuation or re-supply were bleak.

Insulin can last a month unrefrigerated (more or less) but without test strips you’re in the dark. We probably have a year’s worth of insulin on hand if we can keep it cold (easy enough where we live).
Syringes can be re-used for some time, so just need to ration them for a while. Insulin pump supplies and batteries could be stockpiled to some extent.

It seems hard to keep more than a couple of weeks of blood-glucose strips on hand, keeping a large amount at school may be difficult as well. Urine strips for glucose and ketones are cheap and last a while unopened, but it seems like managing diabetes without blood-glucose testing is probably a lost art.

What would you do? Stay mainly with basal (lantus, levemir) or NPH? Ration your blood glucose strips?Use urine test strips?

I think everyone should have an emergency plan that meets their child’s needs. And a back up that the child carries in their backpack. I was lucky but learned the hard way last Friday when a strange box was left in front of my Childs school and a bomb squad was called in.

The children had to evacuate the school, the nurse checked my daughter she was 103 but then the children had to walk a long way across a field to wait an hour in the field then walk to another building to be put on buses that arrived a half hour late home. My daughter got off the bus and was 75… Which wasn’t too low but had it been longer things could have been different. we keep things in her backpack but being 9 she forgot.

It’s important to talk to your kids over and over about what to do if they feel low. Unfortunately others don’t realize how serious Diabetes is so we must do all we can to train our kids if they are old enough.

This is also a worry for me with my son who is 11. How can I stock pile insulin? I have also heard that Xinga Red (spelling??) is a natural substitute for blood sugar control. It’s a Chinese berry that is put into liquid form and has many health benefits. It is sold through a company called Young Living. I could stock up on that. Any thoughts or input welcome. Thank you!

Good thing to think about. I have often thought about this issue. Thank you for bringing this up. I think every parent/person should have some type of backup plan.

Have an emergency bag packed but the insulin is in the fridge. We do have pens also; Apidra should stay in the fridge. And we have Frio pouches, two for pumps and one large wallet size. Because of this post, will put the large Frio and one of the pump Frios in the emergency bag upstairs; make an emergency bag to keep in the car (which we don’t do), order extra Frios, and keep more insulin in the upstairs fridge, as well as downstairs. That way we could grab the insulin and go. Solution for the insulin would be order quite a few of the large Frios. Frio pouches only need water to reactivate and keep insulin cool. Also should rethink and stock things such as Flashlights and more crackers and cheese or PB, etc., as well as just the quick sugar.

Yikes - thanks for this thread and making me realize how I need to be more prepared for something like that.