Disaster Preparedness

I live in Vancouver, BC which is also an earthquake zone and where we’re supposed to get a massive earthquake someday. I keep a pencil case in my purse that has enough supplies to get me through a few days should something like that happen while I’m away from home (I don’t drive; if I did I’d keep a kit in my car).

I also have a larger earthquake kit at home that has enough supplies for a week or so. The only thing the home kit doesn’t have in it is insulin, mostly because like you, I couldn’t think of a good way to keep it cold. I’m on a pump and so always have some insulin with me, but I’d like to keep Lantus in my home kit as a backup in case of pump failure. I’ve looked into those mini fridges and like the idea of them, but wish there was one that ran off batteries OR a wall outlet, that way it wouldn’t stop working as soon as it was unplugged (although at that point it probably wouldn’t matter, anyway, as you’d be using the insulin).

We have tornadoes here in the midwest. I’m only about 1/2 mile from the 24 hour Walgreens. I figure if a tornado hits the house, the path is usually only a couple miles wide and I’ll be ok. Pump supplies are in the basement.

I am a T1 and live in LA and what I do is I have a small cooler and ice packs. I have two ice packs that are in the freezer in case I need them, also great for long trips. I keep my insulin in a ziplock bag in the fridge door so I can grab quickly if needed. I also keep my supplies (strips, meter, candy, etc) in a cosmetic tote bag near my bed, stylish and practical. I also keep a pair of shoes in reach that are easy to put on. Last but not least I wear a medical bracelet at all times even to bed, as you know most earthquakes seem to hit overnight…I never read this anywhere I just like you thought when I see disasters what did a diabetic do in that situation…

The '94 earthquake was only 45 seconds! It seemed so much longer than that…LOL

If you use insulin pens then you dont have to keep them cooled once it is used but all un-used pens you do…You can use insulin if it is not refigerated but it doesnt work at its best…

I agree about earthquakes here compared to other places in the world. I dont think a strong earthqauke here would nearly do as much humanly damage as somewhere else. Our buildings, roads, and houses are made to sway to cause less damage…