Discrimination by the Medical College Admissions Test- Anybody able to give legal advice?

Hello,

So obviously I’m a diabetic, and since I need to take my insulin and testing supplies to this test with me, I filled out all the required forms to receive disabilities accommodations. Despite the hassle of paperwork, this was pretty simple and the accommodations granted are quite generous.

However, I was told to register for a regular seat and then call to confirm so that they could prepare to accommodate me at the testing site. I’m a Montana resident, and since I was planning on taking it while I was home this summer, I registered for a seat at one of the Montana testing sites.

After a 40 minutes on hold, I finally was put through to somebody only to be told that none of the 2 or 4 testing sites in Montana can accommodate my disability (they require me to be in a separate room so my insulin pump won’t distract anybody or something like that). NONE!!! Then they say, “Where can you travel to?” Ummm…nowhere? I live in Montana and it’s ridiculous to have to go to a different state to take the test just because I have a disability. SO, I ended up just signing up to take the test in Seattle- that’s where I go to college and luckily I have a friend I can stay with since student dorms are shut down.

Is it legal to make someone cross state lines to take a test? Doesn’t that violate some part of the ADA like equal opportunity/equal access since it’s required to get into medical school? Isn’t it illegal for all the testing sites in Montana to be unable to accommodate a disability?

Obviously, I’m in college so I can’t really afford to take any legal action, but am I right in thinking that I’m being illegally discriminated against?

Hi Lindsay! Sorry to hear about this! What a pain…

One of our members, Rick Phillips, is a lawyer and often has good legal advice. Maybe you can ask him!

I am not a lawyer and may be completely wrong! But I believe it is a national test, correct? If it is a national test they can make you go accross state lines. It isn’t right but I am not sure there is anything to stop them. ADA changed many things, the different color and texture for handicap ramps so they can be felt and seen for example. Also the requirement that when a commercial building undergoes renovation any area touched must provide handicap access/restrooms etc… If none of the testing sites have under gone renovation in the last 10-15 years it probably hasn’t come up.

We used to live in North Dakota and now live in Seattle. We drive accross Montana 4-8 times each year. I get how far you are going out of your way. But this is the first of many hurdles that will be presented during medical school and residency etc… Think of it as a weeding out process. They are testing you, will you stick with it?