Dislike it soo much

I’ve been a t1 diabetic for since I was 11years old (now 23).I take care of my diabetes, but theirs at times when I hate having it. For example when your going for you’re driver’s license test and you get a random low blood sugar! it makes me soo upset!!! BUT THE SCARIEST MOMENT I EVER HAD was I remember when I was in back in highschool me and my friends were coming home from school, we took a ride on the subway, and my blood sugar got so low I felt I was going to faint, I couldn’t even talk to anyone, and people kept staring at me. I didn’t want to make a big scene in front of my friends. I HATE IT SO MUCH!

Agree with you, Rashard. Random is the word. I find the tubes of gel sold by Dex work the quickest for lows. Hang in there.

You are far from alone... and I think the worst times are when we're low during important dates. In situations like the subway with your friends, it can be tricky to make sure you're friends are informed about T1D before things get out of hand. I guess we have to pick and chose who we want to explain it to, but the more people you let in on the seriousness of the blood sugar swings, the better (in my opinion).

And on the bright side, these unpleasant experiences may be setting you up to help someone in a similar situation down the road. It's never all bad.

Also: I'm not a soda drinker, but if I'm in dire need of raising my numbers CocaCola is available many places and skyrockets my blood sugar in less than 10 minutes. You're at a high risk of over-correction, but I think it's one of the better fixes out and about...and it doesn't point you out as a diabetic like using gels does in public.

Totally there with you! I've had T1 for 26 years - the random lows still catch me by surprise. And there are times I don't feel them until I'm in the 30's. The gel is the fastest recovery tool I've found, but Dex also has fast acting tablets. These look more like candy and aren't obvious. But yes, Paige is right. If you can find someone in your group who you can tell about the diabetes it is much better for you. Everyone I work with and hang around with know I have diabetes, where my recovery gel is, and how to give it to me. Haven't needed it yet, but at least they know how to help. Best of luck.

I don't think there's ANYONE who doesn't hate diabetes. You're not alone, and you can vent here as much as you like. We didn't choose it, and it's not our fault, but we have to live with it, and figure out ways to cope. As others have said, making sure your friends know about it is important, even though you may feel embarrassed about it.

Once I drove from a meeting to a friend's house (she had several other friends over), and I was fine in the car, but the moment I stepped out of the car, a low hit me like a ton of bricks. So I walked into the house, and announced that I was low, and had nothing in my purse to treat it, and no meter to test it. The fact is that I DID have stuff to treat it in my purse, and I DID have my meter, but obviously, I couldn't think straight. But my friends jumped right to the task -- one of them gave me some glucose tablets from her stash (she's T1 too) and another one brought me a glass of milk and a cookie, and they both watched me like hawks to make sure it wasn't getting worse. If I had passed out, they would have called 911.

So friends can be lifesavers, and at least in my case, my friends have all been understanding and helpful. It might be harder with younger people, because they don't have the experience that older ones do, but if they really care about you, then they will be willing to help if they know the signs of a low and know what to do about it. So it involves some educational efforts on your part, but you CAN do it, and there ARE people who love you enough to help.

Hang in there, buddy -- you can do it! :-)

Thank you for your support natalie.

Thank you daricel l’ll check it out.

Thank u paige for understanding how I feel.

Omg I totally understand you, just hang in there! We all have gone thru something like that like for example (me) today at the mall just walking and I was just having fun shopping by my self and didn’t realize I wasn’t feeling so good till I went to the bathroom and tested my self my blood glucose was 30 I just couldn’t believe that I was still conscious lol it was scary but I’m always carrying something just in case like skillets or fast acting carbs I try to never step put of the house with out any type of emergency candy or something on my purse believe me you just never know when you may need it :slight_smile: I’m your same age and I was diagnose when I was 5 years old.
Just remember and I always tell this to my self I’m human and I’m just getting tired and its ok to complain but never quit!

Ps this is not the first time this happened to my either lol I already lost count and some are way worse than this one! :slight_smile:

Wow really ?lol I so agree on the not qutting part. You’re way much stronger then me. Put it like this our bodies are both broken at the moment. Lmao

Rashard, it is hard to live with this 24/7.. we are here to listen and help out at tudiabetes. Come here and vent, whenever as Natalie and the other posters have said. I have had diabetes for 45 years and have had lows comng on at inopportune times. My friends and associates know how to treat my lows, though believe it or not, my family I was raised with ( mom, brother, sister) in GA get the most fearful when I am "needing other's help" low; which for me is in the 30's, as they have not seen it very often.

My close friends and co-workers recognize my gnarly, irritated and some times loopy behavior that indicates a low in the 50's. I usually feel it, but not at all times, so I check bg's often and will ask anyone for help if I am dropping fast,and cannot think to get to my glucose tabs or jelly beans or whatever is in the purse at the time. Public place, private home, a store, anywhere. I say " I am a diabetic and I have a low blood sugar and I need some help Can you bring me a pop, some juice, candy?" Most will offer sweets; lead me to a safe place and wait and watch with me. Even perfect strangers. No shame in my game to announce it. Better than a crash to the floor or to the ground.

You are strong. All in your perspective.

God Bless,
Brunetts

Rashard, another perspective: your body is NOT broken! Just one part of it, and no denying that's an enormous bummer, but the rest of your body is working fine, and you get to have it and use it for a LONG time!! You have eyes and ears, and smell and taste, and hands and feet, and a brain to process all those senses and feelings and to give you the ability to love other people, so you get to live and enjoy a wonderful world. And while it's true that the diabetes sucks, and it would REALLY be nice to have a cure, meanwhile, you just have to do the best you can with it, because at 23, I'm hoping for another good 60 or 70 years for you.

There is really no choice but to cope with the negative, but NEVER forget to appreciate the positive which has been given to you, just by your being alive and capable of doing and giving and receiving and loving. I think we need t-shirts that say "We don't let the dia-beat-us!" :-)

Understood my young diabetic brother... understood!

Any of them (sic. ever?) understand what was happening, quietly save your butt? Not the marching band paramedics parade (ie a BIG DEAL) but just quietly, get you to drink a full soda... and not mention it beyond that?