Do you get grumpy during a hypoglycemia attack?

Do you get grumpy during a hypoglycemia attack?

John

That’s putting it mildly :rage:

5 Likes

My husband asks if I want sugar, then runs away and hides. So I’d say so. We have an agreement that he’ll leave me alone (so he doesn’t irk the heck out of me and we avoid the argument) so long as I tell him if I drop below 55.

7 Likes

Woozy

Grumpy

Irritable

Easily frustrated

Confused

Passive

unconscious?

That’s my standard dropping glucose process. Although now with Dexcom, I quite rarely get beyond woozy, the machine is beeping at me with what seem to be a greater number of Beep Beep, Beeps

6 Likes

As soon as I feel my glucose level falling I eat something. I rarely have a bad attack. It is just part of life and I try, after soooo many years, to just take it in stride. Sometimes I become a little short fused, but I always try to apologize to my dear husband.

3 Likes

I haven’t had a bad low in a long time, but those days that I did, I was grumpy and angry and I didn’t want anyone to notice it and was angry when someone did.
Of course we are at a disadvantage because we aren’t thinking clearly.
Sometimes when I’m grumpy just cause I’m grumpy, I get accused of having low sugar.

4 Likes

I used to recite a variation on the seven dwarves to describe my hypoglycemic personality. I don’t know that it was always the same seven, but it always concluded with Cranky, Bitchy and Mean.

4 Likes

Not really, actually. I usually get shaky/weak and/or can’t think straight, but I don’t usually show any symptoms that anyone who doesn’t know me really well would recognize. I’ve had lows at work and my coworkers had no idea. I think I tend to get more grumpy with highs.

6 Likes

Anxious, then frustrated when BG doesn’t go up after treatment. :face_with_spiral_eyes:

2 Likes

Yes, and especially when it happens at night. I have literally fought my poor husband off refusing to drink juice or even take a blood test. He’s a saint, and thankfully he’s also very stubborn.

3 Likes

Irritable and not wanting to focus on anything starts first. If my hubby tries to talk to me I will tell him I’ll answer later that my BG level is dropping and he usually runs lol. Sometimes he still tries to sneak in a quick question and he might get an answer but then I get significantly more irritable very fast. But at work people didn’t know, I would just disappear to eat or drink something. I think it probably has to do with my perception that my hubby knows better and I inherently will get grumpier easier with him.

3 Likes

No. I can not recall.

3 Likes

I don’t get grumpy. Sometimes a bit of confusion, but I can generally hold it together pretty well even getting down into the low 50s or even high 40s.

The big problem I have is after the low is over. It doesn’t happen all the time, but often I will be extremely lethargic after some lows. Most times I recover well, but there are numerous times when I have no energy to do anything for hours after a low … bone-weary they call it here in Oklahoma. I haven’t been able to figure out why it happens sometimes and not others.

2 Likes

My younger brother, who “caught” Type 1 a few years after both my mom and I did (but I was first!), does get grumpy, and a little mean, which is quite out of character for him: he’s one of the most agreeable people I know. I, OTOH, get light-hearted and silly, BION. I come up with the greatest puns, and am most creative, between 80 and 100. Below that I’m just silly.

3 Likes

That happens when my CGM reads higher than actual, and I think I am back to normal but still a little low. I know a quick fingerstick would give rapid confirmation, but when cruising along slightly low, lethargy contributes to a somewhat fuzzy mind, and a fingerstick is not always the line of first defense that comes to mind.

3 Likes

Very much so. I usually feel lows coming on and try to treat, but yes I can get very grumpy and anything will make me mad as a nuclear bomb.

2 Likes

Apparently, I do. When my children were small, and I would reprimand them for something, they would ask, “Momma, do you need something to eat?” Usually, I did not, but they soon learned that their asking would somewhat defuse my irritation with them not doing as I had asked. They are grown now, but I suppose my irritation when low continues…

4 Likes

I’ve noticed this myself, but only in the past couple of years. It’s an effort to put one foot in front of the other. Usually it’s at the end of a series of lows, so maybe I literally have no energy stores left. Or maybe it’s to do with age, like so much else.

6 Likes

It’s hard not to be in a foul mood when you feel like crap

2 Likes

Inpatient and short. Yes

1 Like