Do you have celiac? Introduce yourself!

Well, since Celiac Disease (Gluten Allergy) is such a prevelant disease with diabetes, I figured we needed to have a group for it. Let this be a group for questions and suggestions.

I have had type 1 for 30 years now. Have had problems with my stomach for about 12+ yrs. It kept getting worse and worse. I was finally diagnosed with ciliac sprue last week. I am hoping someone can offer some advice on what I CAN eat. I am a little frustrated and can’t get in to see a diatition for another month. Can anyone offer any help that is in the same boat as I am.

You can eat rice based products. YOU MUST STAY AWAY FROM Wheat, Barley and Rye. Watch out. Gluten (what your are really allergic to) is used in EVERYTHING. Buy yourself a copy of Gluten Free for Dummies - gives the basics to dealing with this in an easy to read format. Good luck

HI Teresa, from my experience, a lot of diatitions/nutritionists don’t know much about celiac disease and for me anyways, they haven’t been much help. I think I’ve educated them more on what options are out there, they any ideas or advice they’ve given me.

Anyhow, as far as grains you can eat corn, rice, quinoa, and some oats (depending how they were processed and stored) Irish oats are supposedly safe.

You can buy pasta made from rice, corn or quinoa flours, I recommend the Tinkyada brand, I’ve found it to be the best in texture and taste.

There’s a great company called Gluteno that makes awesome Bagels and their corn bread is pretty decent…it takes some getting used to but out of all the gluten free breads I’ve ever tried, this one has been the best.

Gluteno has a pretty good line of products from breads to cookies and crackers. Safeway has started carrying some of their products, Fred Meyer is another that has a large Gluten Free selection of products and Whole Foods is another great place to get gluten free goods.

You can also order Gluten free foods online there are several websites check out glutenfree.com

For goodies check out a brand called The Cravings Place, they have the best brownie mix I’ve ever had, gluten free or otherwise.

Aside from all that, get used to reading labels, gluten is in EVERYTHING! well it seems that way sometimes :wink:

Soy sauce, most salad dressings, some cream cheeses, some yogurts. You have to read the label on everything, until you know which products are safe.

At first it seems like there are no options but once you look around there are so many. New ones are popping up all the time now too with the heighten awareness on Celiac disease. Even a lot of restaurants now offer gluten free options.

Good luck!

Hello all -

I’m a type 1 and have been having various GI symptoms (abdominal and back pain, loss of appetite, weight loss) for the past several months and so was referred to a GI doc. My endoscopy came back negative for Celiac, but he had me try a gluten free diet in the mean time which did in fact make me feel a bit better! Has anyone else had this experience? This diet is difficult to follow - and especially if I’m not even sure if it is going to help! But certainly gives me much admiration for those of you dealing with these two autoimmune diseases at the same time. It’s not easy. Any advice/comments would be appreciated…

Thanks everyone!
-Katie

Hi - Sean’s Mom here. Sean has had Type 1 for 5 yrs, dx’d with Celiac last August. He was asymptomatic, it just turned up in his annual bloodwork. I’ve probably taken this worse than he has. It’s a tall order, but we’re chugging away.
It is so nice to have this forum of people who deal with both situations.

Hi, katie,
I have several autoimmune conditions- hypothyroid, LADA, psoriasis and most recently, psoriatic arthritis (joint pain in several parts of my body.) I had tests done and don’t have celiac’s but do apparently have gluten intolerance. I eat no grains at all and was not sure it was worth it till a trip to England when I went off the diet. I was stiff and in a lot of pain after about a week. When I got home I went back on the diet and am almost symptom free again. So for me it’s worth persevering. One of the things that helps is baking with blanched almond flour. There is a great blog called Elana’s Pantry with terrific gluten free recipes.

Hi Libby,

Thanks so much for the info! That’s a lot your dealing with…I appreciate your sharing all this. How did you determine that you have a gluten intolerance to begin with? Is there a separate test for that? I’m nervous to ‘experiment’ to see if it’s worth it but I guess that day will probably come…
-Katie

I had antibody tests done to various foods and came up positive for all grains, whey, chocolate and a couple of other things. It was IGg testing and it isn’t usually covered by insurance, unlike celiac’s testing, which also looks for antibodies, but against the intestinal wall, I think. Since I don’t have gastric symptoms, I didn’t get a positive result on that one.

hello every body.i have had tybe1 for15years…my HA1C was11.2 but now it’s7.1 and that because:
1-dancing one per hour every day.
2-eating 3main meals and 3small meals every day.
3-eating healthy food.
4-writting poetry.
After all that believe me you’ll feel good.

To Jeff (and anyone in forum, for that matter) - Would you guys mind sharing what your son takes to school for lunch? Sean is 10 and has type1 w/ celiac. For us, school lunch is the most challenging meal to deal with. We, too, have found good gf food choices but not all of them pack well (particularly the frozen bread products). He’s eaten just about all the peanut butter on rice cakes he can handle! Just curious and always looking for options …

I have had type 1 for 8.5 years and I am just now starting to follow a GF diet. Its not as hard as I thought I would be, but I find myself wanting things just because I can’t. I LOVE bread, but I HATE GF bread. At least potatoes are GF!

My blood work came back positive but the bioposy negative. I felt like crap, so they are telling me to follow a GF diet anyways and I do feel better. Its weird.

GF stuff is expensive. Thats where a lot of my problem comes in. My boyfriend works for a natural food grocery store at least so he will use his discount which makes it easier. I am still putting myself though school so money is a bit tight =). haha.

I also have hypothyroidism.
I know a fair amount of people with type 1 and celiac as well so that helps!

to Sean’s post, I have been packing lunch meat (that is GF) and munster cheese and I will wrap the meat in the cheese and have a cheese wrap thing. Rice cakes, veggies, fruits, GF pretzels, GF cereal bars, GF pasta…dried fruit. thats typically what I take in my lunches. Kinda plane sometimes. But I am also at work and can take some GF frozen meals and heat them up in the microwave. Can you put an ice pack in his lunch box to keep it cool? thats what my mom did for us when we were kids. we would just bring the lunch box and the ice pack home every afternoon.

Hi Brooke - Wow I had a very similar experience last fall. Positive blood work, negative biopsy for celiac, but was put on a GF diet and felt much better. Although it is so hard! (and I’ve also had type 1 for 9 years) And I find myself with simple bread cravings. And am totally frustrated by the high price of GF food.

Do you have a stop ‘n’ shop near you? That’s the cheapest place I’ve found that has GF food. I’ve also found it quick and cheap to make GF casseroles over the weekend to eat through the week.

Sorry to hear you’re going through this - but glad I’m not alone! Good luck with this and glad you posted.

I work at a diabetes summer camp and some of the people there have celiac as well so that helps. But…it is what it is. can’t change anything about it, only work with it!

No, never heard of stop n shop lol. I shop at Sunflower Markets. Cheapest I have found compared to Whole Foods stuff. Trader Joe’s has some stuff too. But even Safeway has begun to sell GF foods!!!

New here…so this may be the wrong place to post my questions but, here goes…

Are there “degrees” of celiac? Can someone have it “a little” and another person have it “a lot”?

Can those with celiac tolerate a little bit of gluten, such as flavoriing with soy sauce or wearing lipstick?

Can celiac appear in very small children, or is it a disease that develops over time?

Thank you for your support and time.

I’m new here too as well as new to Celiac disease so I’m no expert but this youtube video should answer your questions and has a lot of good info…

I’m new to tudiabetes also!

I was diagnosed with type 1 dibetes when i was 18 months old (i’m almost 21 now), and i was diagnosed with celiac right before I turned 2 years old. I’m really wanting to switch over to the pump. Is it complicated counting carbs with the pump and celiac? (I don’t currently count carbs-I’m still on the 4 shots a day no matter what my sugars are plan.)

Any info anyone has would be great!! :slight_smile:

to Amy, first, I would start counting carbs on injections before going on a pump.

a lot of GF foods have more carbs then non GF foods, but counting carbs makes it EASIER to track. I program what my sugar is into my pump, then how many carbs I ate then it caculates for me how much insulin I need. I still know how to do all that stuff by hand should my pump break or something or I just feel like being in injections I know how. Celiac doesn’t seem to make a difference on a pump or off…I think a pump is much better control (at least for me).

trying something new that is gluten free is always sketchy with how much insulin i need to take because i have found some GF items that i just can’t eat anymore because it doesn’t matter how much insulin i take when i eat it, my blood sugar will not come down from like 300 for HOURS and it’s awful so i’m jsut throwing it out there that you may find some gluten free foods that you just can’t partake in~ I also have a pump and it it awesome for everything else but those select foods that jack my blood sugar :slight_smile: