Eat the same thing ~ every meal

Have you ever tried just eatting the same thing every meal? It seems boring and not nutritionally balanced right?
Wrong, I feel like I have finally figured out how to manage my blood sugar with this method and have had spot on numbers for the past 4 days. I aim for 130 and wear the Animus Ping Pump.

Sample meal plan for the past 4 days:
Breakfast- Bean burrito + orange = 35 carbs
Lunch - Tuna sandwich + apple = 35 carbs
Dinner - Bean burrito + 2 cups broccoli = 45 carbs
I make the bean burritos myself with homemade beans and low carb tortillas. I acutally make 4 pounds of beans on the weekends and then make 30 burritos wrap them in aluminum foil and freeze them. I then pull a few out of the freezer and put them in the refriedgerator before bed. This diet takes excellent self- dicipline but for the predictable blood sugars and predictable digestion times I argue it is worth it. What do you think of this idea?
This is my first post and I am representing San Francisco, California.

Welcome to TuD!

I agree that eating the same thing does make it easier to have stable numbers and if you plan it right, you can get a good nutritional balance…
However, to me it’s not worth it…I think my limit for eating the same thing for any one meal is a few days (enough to check the I:C ratio) and then something needs to change and once you change something, there’s more room for error.
Eating the same thing makes the days seem more mononous/robotic… and also takes out the fun of cooking your own foods :slight_smile:
Hope you continue your success continues!
How do you handle going out to eat? Or does the unpredictability make you less inclined to go?

I, too, eat basically the same thing every day. I grew very tired of my fluxuating BG readings, but even now I’m stil experiencing major swings.

I have a lite frappuccino in the morning
Then a protein bar for lunch
Then dinner varies but only slightly- meat plus veggies < no carbs
Then bedtime snack is typically veggies with dip, but no more than 30g carbs (I do a lot of cottage cheese and peanut butter)

Even with all of the consistencies, I’m still experiencing swings between 40 and 330. I think it’s emotional stress that’s doing it, but I definitely see the reward in eating basically the same thing every day. My day time numbers are great (after breakfast and lunch) < between 70 and 110
Since diagnosis and complicatiosn in the past 11 years, I really don’t feel joy in eating any more anyway.

Glad you’ve got something figured out!

Welcome to the community!

I’m for whatever works. I eat pretty much the same thing for breakfast because it’s the only way I can control dawn phenomenon. I’d be bored eating the same meals for the other two. I’d worry about not getting an array of nutrients eating such a limited diet. I stay with the same number of carbs & protein per meal from day to day.

Hi Gerri! I’m guessing somewhere you’ve already posted the response to this question, but I suppose I could just ask… what do you eat for breakfast? I’m having trouble coming up with low-carb breakfasts for a college student sans kitchen.

So hard without a kitchen, sorry. Eggs & cheese, almond meal pancakes or almond meal muffins I make myself (on weekends). I’ve got to stick with basically all protein breakfasts or my numbers soar. Kills it for the whole day.

Do you have a microwave & small fridge? You on the college’s food plan?

I don’t know how I would have survived college if I had been diabetic then. I never ate breakfast because it was a pain to get to the cafeteria in time for early classes. I’d rather sleep! In those days, I kept cheese on the windowsill to keep it cold for snacks.

Hi Cassidy… I can definitely identify with your approach. I’ve been eating the same thing for breakfast and the same thing for lunch M-F for years now. Boring, yes, but I make up for that with a creative dinner. I also wondered if it’s O.K. to do this. My endo is fine with it. Even though I do this, my numbers still vary quite a bit every day. I never know what’s going to happen with my BG, so this helps ever so slightly to reduce the variables. For breakfast, I eat a “sandwich” made from 2 whole wheat low-fat Nutrigrain waffles with a Morningstar farms breakfast patty and cheese (I’m a vegetarian). The sandwich approach works well for me because I eat it in the car on my way to work. For lunch M-F, I eat a low-fat vanilla yoghurt and a piece of fruit (lately, an orange) and some cut up veggies (carrots, celery, etc.). I usually have a banana for my snack. These are just things that I found work for me and it definitely takes away some of the stress of having to figure out what to eat and how much to bolus when I’m on the run. All I have to factor in is activity level. Your bean burrito sounds yummy! I think you just gave me an idea for dinner tonight… Thanks! :slight_smile:

I don’t know if you like hard boiled eggs, but I’ve seen hard boiled eggs at the grocery store recently. They are already boiled, and I think they are peeled.

That reminds me that I used to sneak hard boiled eggs out of the cafeteria for snacking later.

Ugh you guys are depressing me. When my son was diagnosed 10 mos ago the diabetes team acted like he could eat about anything if we just dose for it and while we were in the honeymoon it seemed like we could. Now we’re trying to figure out what really works. My wish for my son and for all of you is to get to taste the variety that life has to offer. Is that not going to happen?

The eat whatever you want & dose accordingly doesn’t work. It’s unfortunate that people are told this by health care professionals. In theory it seems like it should, but it doesn’t. Insulin at higher doses to cover higher carb meals works less predictably then lower doses of insulin to handle smaller carb meals. Miscalculations in doses, far from a perfect science, are easier to correct with lower doses also. There are many more factors at play insulin sensitivity than just carbs.

Other than breakfast when I have to eat protein, I eat a wide variety of food. I eat low carb, I don’t eat grains, beans, fruit, fruit juice, milk or starchy vegetables. There are many more things I can eat than I can’t eat. Please don’t be depressed about what your son should eat.

I agree with Gerri that the “eat whatever you want and bolus for it” philosophy is fraught with peril. However, as a vegetarian, someone with a history of eating disorder and a bit of a foodie, I do “taste the variety that life has to offer.” I love to cook and figure out what I can eat and still have good blood sugar results and other than breakfast I wouldn’t do well with eating the same thing daily. The only difference between your son and me is that at my age I don’t need to eat large portions and so can eat small amounts of most things, while your son needs more.

There’s a difference between not being able to eat anything you want and not tasting the variety life/nature has to offer.
The misconception about being able to eat anything and bolus for it is about not eating chocolate cakes on top of blueberry pancakes with syrup, not eating the same thing day in and day out. We should all include the food pyramid guidelines in our daily diet . . . it’s the excess that causes us problems.

While Cassidy’s meal plan may be good for calculating dosage and BGs, it’s not good for all other aspects of her health. There are numerous vitamins, antioxidants, fiber, minerals, etc that are left out of that diet. Good for your BG now, bad for your health down the road.

Just because you include one or two fruits and veggies in that plan doesn’t mean you’re covering your daily needs. One fruit is good for one thing, but another is good for something else.

So true, Pavlos.

It’s a balancing act between what’s good for BG, but not necessarily what’s good for our whole being. I’m not willing to risk soaring numbers for some foods because it’s not worth it to me, but my meals include a variety of many delicious foods. I like to cook & love having people over. No one knows they’re eating low carb dinners:)

My diet is far healthier since being diagnosed. I never ate breakfast before & grabbed anything for lunch. I didn’t eat fast food or frozen meals previously, but my meals are more balanced now. I love food & thoroughly enjoy everything I eat now.

A friend who’s trying to lose a lot of weight thought I lived on protein & steamed veggies–bleech. She eats at my house frequently to help stay on her diet. She’s a low carb convert once she realized she didn’t have to starve herself.

I agree with Gerri about how delicious low (or “lower” carb) meals can be. But I also want to add that it takes awhile to revise your diet and experiment to find things that are yummy and also diabetes friendly. I definitely don’t eat the same thing all the time but I am developing a “repetoire”. I have tried some recipes and they just didn’t work, but when I try one I like it gets added to my repetoire and I write the carb count on the recipe in the cookbook and put a star next to the page. I wasn’t real impressed with the specifically diabetic cookbooks or the low-carb cookbooks, especially not as a vegetarian. So I pick the recipes out of the cookbooks I’ve always used and loved that still work for me today and add any revisions I make to them onto the page.

Hey Michele - I have to admit I eat pretty well what I want to eat as I love variety, but over time I think we all do have a set way of eating (and yet - I dose as best as I can for those times where I’m shooting in the dark). Yes, I admit I went abit crazy at times when there was something really yummy (and very bad for a PWD) - but the effects of whatever my blood sugars might have been (remember I come from the Ice Age days of urine testing) - well - so far - no ill effects from my wild youth. I guess I’ve always fought having diabetes without thinking I am one - does that make sense? Until I joined up to groups like this - I never thought about diabetes - I just did what I had to do - but questions like Cassidys and replies from others makes me more aware of diabetes then I ever was before. Sometimes yes, the answers are depressing, other times, a little light bulb goes off in my head and I say “I’m going to try this out”.

All in all, I think whatever works best for you and your son, and hopefully all will go well. My Mum did teach me the basics of good eating/cooking, plain tho’ it was as she hated to cook (my Dad took over when he retired ), but she had to learn to adapt with my being diabetic. I left home not even knowing how to boil an egg believe it or not, but learned very quickly on a yearly salary of only $7K!

It really, really, really irritates me that educators are telling diabetics this. This is exactly what we were told right after diagnosis and I believe it set my husband off in the wrong direction and has created so many struggles that have lasted for years. He is just now beginning to realize that it isn’t true. Don’t fall for it!

Your son certainly doesn’t have to eat the same thing every meal, but it isn’t really true that he can eat whatever and however much and just compensate with insulin. If your son eats a lot of carbs, he is going to have a big bg spike, even if he eventually comes back down to a normal level. With lots of spikes, he will be spending too much time with high blood sugars and it will effect his A1C. This has certainly been the case with my husband.

Of course this doesn’t mean he can never taste pizza again, or any other food. Certainly he can have variety and try anything he wants. Moderation is key, of course.

Yep, same thing nearly every day. When I go grocery shopping I am the woman loading eight to ten pounds of frozen brussel sprouts into her cart. I roast them in the oven at 400 for 45 to 50 minutes in a coconut/sesame/olive oil combo and lots of sea salt. The process and the oil must break the cellulose down into sugar because they are sweet. I prefer them to chocolate!! But they have very, very little impact on my BG. I make two pounds up at a time and then eat them throughout the day once they cool…almost every day.

I supplement with coffee and coconut milk; sweetened with Stevia, Wasa Fiber Rye and cinnamon cream cheese, smoked mozerella, blueberry cheddar cheese, baby dill pickles and a couple of other things that escape me at the moment, i.e. turnips, avocados, rhubarb, peanut butter M&M’s (30 can be covered with 4 units of insulin) etc.

I feel funny when I go grocery shopping because I really do buy the same thing every two weeks; and in large quantities. From time to time I try to experiment with a couple of new things that seem like they should be safe. If they work for me, I add them into the rotation. Its taken me a year to get this far.

Ditto on having lost the joy of eating. Its all about the numbers for me. When they are low I feel much better than any food could taste. (Does that make sense?)

I do the same on a temporary basis. 2 weeks to a month at a time. It is very helpful when I have a cold or other situation where an infection is possible (e.g. after surgery). I do however get bored with the same meals so I release myself from the regimen. It is interesting that the results are seldom identical, but they are predictable. How do you treat lows? That’s my biggest issue…