Eating Anything?

My daughter is starting on a Ping Saturday. I know she’s looking forward to having carb snacks without having to inject herself. But I’m wondering, does it really work out to eat any old thing and correct for it? Whenever she loads up on carbs (i.e. pancakes for dinner Shrove Tuesday) she goes high even if the correction is right. As Paul Harvey used to say, “What’s the rest of the story”?

could the carb ratio be off? My son started on the Ping last month. He loves it. He eats all day long now. We’re still adjusting here and there, but once the basal rate is set correctly and the carb ratio is set, there’s less and less spikes (and lows) in his days. He says the pump has changed his life (and it was only 6 months on shots).

I was on shots for 6 months too…and then got the ping - I am 35. The first week I was so excited to eat higher carb meals but honestly…the best control is lower carbs. Sure treat yourself once and awhile to something yummy but things like pancakes are not a weekly or even monthly experience in my view. Keeping snacks to 15 carbs works great - keeping dinners to 30 maybe 45 carbs keeps the highs really in check. Its “work” to create low carb meals and snacks 24-7 but in the long run I know its better for my body. Just my 2 cents - :slight_smile: The pump is great but does not take away the fact that we have to be very mindful of Everything we eat.

I am in agreement with Sneetch, although the experience of a child might be different than ours (I’m 58). The pump gives me a l ot more freedom to have an occasional splurge and to adjust for excercise and physical activity. I can also handle an occasional treat but smaller amounts are better. Snacks in the 15 to 30 carb range are fine but the event that I still cannot handle is overeating. Some pancakes will probably be fine but moderation is still the best solution.

i loved Paul Harvey!! :wink: lol
i would say to use a combo bolus when she eats pancakes or things that high in carbs…where you get some of your insulin up front and the rest can be given throughout a time period…at least that’s what i do when i eat pancakes! i love pancakes! :wink:

myriah

hey!
i have the ping too. i used to have the same problem with loading up on carbs. no matter how much insulin i took, id always be high later. then my dr got me to use whats called the combo bolus. it gives some of the insulin immediatly and then it distrubutes the rest over a set period of time. it seems to work really well for me. you decide how much it gives you now, and how much it gives you over a set period of time. for example, i have it set at 60 : 40% which means it gives me 60% of my insulin now and distributes the other 40% over 2.5 hours. i set the 2.5 hours, but you can change that too. lol am i making sense?
anyway the combo bolus is really good. i actually ate 2 slices of pizza last night, then after using the combo bolus i checked my bs about and hour and a half later and was 118. :smiley:

Pizza and pancakes? Sign me up. OK I haven’t experimented with the combo bolus much. Do you use the same amount of insulin you would for a given amount of carb and distribute it or do you use more insulin? Allen

Hey Allen,
I use the same amount of insulin I would for a given amount of carb and distribute it. It took a while to get the ratio and time figured out, but i finally got it. I started out with a 50 : 50% ratio and distributed over 3 hours, then as I played with it more and more, I got it figured out. :slight_smile:

I will tell you this from personal experience:

When I was 13 I went on multiple daily injections and was told I could eat whatever I wanted so long as I bolused. This turned into me eating way too much because I didn’t understand proper nutrition on top of diabetes and was eating literally anything and everything. Now I am 23 and fighting weight issues and learning that just because I can take insulin doesn’t mean I can eat ANYTHING - some things make me high afterward, and that with diabetes, because we are already at risk for heart disease, that eating right and exercise are also important. I encourage you to make sure your daughter is aware of these things before she’s my age.

I use the animas ping (since November 2009) and I have found that the combo bolus works well but you have to experiment with it. I can eat things i wasn’t eating on shots - pasta, bread - if I use it. It takes a lot of adjustment. Using the Dexcom CGMS has helped me a lot with the combo bolus because I can see exactly what my sugar does after each meal.

Hope this helped!

thank you brandi

your welcome :slight_smile:

In his book, “Diabetes Solution,” Dr. Bernstein introduces something he calls the rule of small numbers. Basically, small amounts of carbs require small amounts of insulin, and result in small BG rises. I didn’t understand any of this concept till I tried to bolus for, or correct for high carb meals, and the resultant high BGs. The higher the carbs, the more insulin I need. My insulin to carb ratio changes when i eat high carb meals. Likewise, if i do go high, I need more correction insulin, the higher I am. My insulin sensitivity changes the higher I am. So knowing this is how my body responds, I try and eat as low carb as possible. I still cheat, but recognize I’ll need more insulin than my normal I:C ratio. Make sense to anyone?

WOW!, thank you. That really explains the experience I have had.
‘Sensitivity changes with carb loading.’ That is a new concept for me.
I found that no matter what I did I was hyper after eating a high carb meal even using various combo bolus ratios. I just need to increase my insulin dose to cover the meal, new ratio to work out. ThanX

My experience has been that diabetes requires a great deal of discipline and moderation in my daily carb intake. The pump is not a replacement for a functioning pancreas. It is a tool that attempts to mimic some of the organs function. Someday (soon?) a cure or a method to absolutely mimic our pancreatic function will allow us to be “normal”. Until then we have to deal with our affliction constantly with self discipline, attention and moderation. Very difficult for the young I’m sure. A learning curve that has no foreseeable end.
Bruce

makes sense to me.