Emo?

OK so I've had the pod for about 2.5 months and at first, we had a love/hate relationship. I managed with shots before I made the switch and I had the shot thing down to a science (Dx 06/08/09). Getting my numbers right with the pod took MUCH longer than I expected and I was really second guessing my decision for a little while. Now things have calmed down and I'm getting used to it... and two times in one week, I've had the (GOD AWFUL) squealing sound interrupt my day. Once was a PDM error and the other was an occlusion. For some reason, when these things happen to me, I get REALLY emotional about it. It makes me cry. I think it is the fact that I'm still fairly new to this whole diabetes thing and I do spend most of my time trying to forget that this thing is attached to me... FOR-EV-ERRR... and so when I have to spend time (TOO much time) on hold with Insulet, or call my rep, or waste insulin, etc. etc. etc... it just gets overwhelming for me all over again. It is like a big fat slap in the face to remind me that my life is different than it used to be everytime something happens that draws attention to its existence.

TELL ME I'm not the only one who feels this way?!

I felt that way for a while and I still go through a few days where I wish I didn’t have to deal with it.

However, the pump is seriously the best thing I’ve ever done after being diagnosed as T1D. It lets me actually do things I enjoy doing: drinking wine, exercising, and just living. The pump lets me adjust for the activities I’m doing so I no longer have to forget about doing something… which I had to do while doing MDIs.

I will admit, the Pod errors annoy me to no end, but I haven’t had too many of those. BTW, if you haven’t set it up, there is a setting in the PDM that automatically shuts off the Pod if it hasn’t received a signal from the pod within X hours. That caused a few of my pod errors.

I’m the same as you just a couple months behind. Had mine all figured out on shots for 34 years. That’s why it took me so long to switch, why fix it if it ain’t broke! So far no squealing. I actually broke down into tears while the educator was explaining the ins and outs of the Omnipod. I thought maybe I could leave some of the crap at home (like my glucometer) but she explained I should carry extra pods, insuling, novolog pen- just in case it fails, extra meter, strips plus the PDM and Dexcom PDM!!!
Just broke down in tears.

Kristina -
I certainly share your frustrations and emotional outbursts, and I am a 30 year vet! ( I have suffered many of the typical diabetic complications as well…pls read my account at http://www.supportersofsurvivors for a full recap, and a strategy to deal with all your new challenges. Nothing there for sale, I promise!) We just need to realize that it is now our role to be inspirational to others who suffer much less…or more! BE STRONG! YOU ARE A SURVIVOR!

Barb,
Maybe it’s just a strategy that works for me, but I don’t carry extra pods or insulin with me unless I’m going to be more than an hour drive from home. For me, pod failures are rare enough that I can just count on being able to get home within a reasonable time if it happens. As long as I don’t eat, basal insulin keeps working in my body for at least a couple of hours after it’s stopped being delivered. I think that’s pretty typical for most diabetics. Also, having my BG go over 150 or even 200 for a short time (say an hour or two) is certainly not going to cause me any long-term harm, as long as it’s a rare occurrence (which pod failures are for me). To me, the lack of hassle and stress of worrying about extra pods and insulin is worth the risk trade-off.
I think the trainers and Insulet reps sometimes go overboard with their recommendations, but I understand that they need to be extra careful in what they say or recommend, for liability reasons.
Anyway, just wanted to encourage you to think for yourself and analyze whether or not you really need to carry all that stuff ALL the time. I’ve been 'podding for 2.5 years just fine without it, but your mileage may vary.

Hi Kristina,

I can’t comment on the Omnipod (yet to persuade my care trust (UK) to provide one) but I can certainly empathise with your frustration and feelings of helplessness when things go wrong. I’ve had T1 for 25 years, since I was 9, and I can cheerfully promise you that it does get easier with time. It doesn’t go away, but like everything, you just learn to manage it. Give yourself a break and remember that you’re still new to this, and as with many things in life it’s tough to start with; that’s as true of diabetes as it is of study, learning to drive, surf, paint or raising a family.

A year from now you won’t think twice about these hiccups, you’ll just deal with 'em and move on. And you’ll be better equipped to deal with them next time because of the experience you’ve just gained.

Personally, a big factor for me in managing diabetes is reminding myself that the condition is just a small part of who I am. The other stuff - the interests, motivations, passions etc - haven’t changed. It’s less a case of “Hi, I’m Pete and I’m diabetic”, and more one of “Hi, I’m Pete, I’m into watersports and music, I dote on my god kids… I work in… oh, and I have diabetes”. I deliberately put the job and diabetes last; you’re no more defined by your condition than you are by your job. Sure, it’s a factor and you can’t afford to ignore it, but it’s not the be-all and end-all of life.

Keep your chin up and keep plugging away, it does get easier! And if you’re feeling bummed out by a hypo, pod failure or anything else, that’s okay too. We all have bad days, non-diabetics included.

We definitely had more issues in the beginning (several months) and now have almost none. I can’t even pinpoint anything in particular that we are doing differently to attribute the change to, but I feel in my heart that our early issues were just part of getting used to the system. Perhaps we just found the best Pod placement over time.

As far as being attached to this forever, that thought was ever present in my mind particularly on the day that Caleb started pumping. I do hope and believe, however, that advancements will be made, and that although there will always be something attached to Caleb, I hope whatever it is will become smaller, more reliable, more accurate, etc. to improve his quality of life. Maybe it’s just wishful thinking on my part and maybe it’s easy for me to say because it’s not me. But if we can come as far as we have in the last 10 or 20 years in technology, I remain optimistic about what the next 5 to 10 years has in store.

I’ve been meaning to tell you… your videos of Caleb changing his pod and just being so optimistic in general about Diabetes really helped me make the switch and get out of my slum. I would tell my husband, “Look at this kid… he seems so happy. If he can be that way, I can too.” I was on the fence about switching from shots to the pump but after I saw him not skipping a beat with it, it really made me think twice.

Caleb is VERY VERY lucky to have a mom like you who is so involved with his diabetes. I also saw your “day in the life of” video and I was blown away by how you pack his lunch. I didn’t have diabetes as a child, so I never really thought about what all would have to go into making sure he has the right calculations. KUDOS TO YOU! And thank you for being so active on TuD. Honestly, you’ve helped me more than you know.

Thanks Eric. The main thing was when I mentioned how nice it’ll be that it also includes a glucometer, I could leave my other one at home and that’s when the list began. I think she was including travel etc. It was just an emotional reaction, tired and trying to take in all information. I thought I would leave the extra glucomete in my car just to have one. Do you carry fast acting pens with you? Can you carry needles with the vial and take it that way if neccessary?

You’re definitely not the only one who feels like this! I switched in August to the OmniPod after having been using MiniMed for 12 years (I was diagnosed in Jan. of 1990). It’s taken me some adjusting even though I am very familiar with pumping, so I can only imagine how tough it is to get used to it coming straight from shots. Having diabetes sucks, there’s no way to sugar coat that. (Pun intended. :] ) Learning to deal with it is not easy either, but remember you’re not alone. This web site is a wonderful place to be.

There is an awesome book called “Diabetes Burnout” and it has helped me through some tough times. I’d definitely recommend it.
http://www.amazon.com/Diabetes-Burnout-What-When-Anymore/dp/1580400337

I’ve been on the omnipod since earlier this year. At first I hated having this thing attached to me but I grew to like it because I would put it on and forget it. I still get frustrated when it wakes me up in the middle of the night to tell me my reservoir is low, or that I am about to expire. The squealing sound bugs me too especially if I am somewhere where I have to be quite like the movies. I just take the batteries out at times like that. As for wasting insulin I have learned that when my pod fails after I just filled it I just extract the insulin back out with the same syringe being careful to not get the insulin all foaming while doing so. I have found ways to make the pod work for me and have gotten more comfortable with it. I had a really hard time with pen injections but the omni has made life a little more worry free for me.

You are very kind. Thank you. I’m no different than many, many other parents who do the same for their child. And I am so very grateful that Caleb has the tools available to him to live a relatively normal life.

Be that as it may, the tools we have are indeed crude when compared to the functioning human pancreas, and it’s easy to get dismayed at the results we see even when we follow every single rule to the T. That’s when the DOC swoops in and supports each other and gives me the inspiration to forge ahead. Thanks for being part of that support system Kristina. :slight_smile:

I was diagnosed in June of 2009, and after 6 months and a HBA1c of just over 7 and, like you, had shots down to a science. I made the switch in December of last year, and had an easy-breezy start…that was before I was diagnosed with Lypodistrophy, and had to move my Pods around because Insulin eats away my fat, and even though I don’t have …I can’t wear them on my favorite spots, and have had a really rough summer.

All it took was a shipping mess up and a (forced) OmniPod vacation (8 days of shots) for me to realize how amazing the OmniPod really is.
It’s not hard to take a vacation, you should be able to go right back to your old routine of long acting/fast acting…it can be incredibly freeing and really great NOT to have anything attached to you for a couple of days…and you won’t believe how good it feels to get your pod back on when you are ready!

Today I walked into my local Rite Aid and they had a big poster with a smiling woman (she looked overjoyed) on it that said "Diabetes"
I couldn’t help but to say, to nobody in particular "I wish Diabetes actually felt like that"
We all get overwhelmed, just know that you’ve got a great support system right here!

Time really does help you to cope with a lot of these things with much less emotional duress. At the same time, I think there are always moments, or sometimes days or weeks where the distraction of it all can feel completely defeating- I’m talking about those weeks you’ve spent wayyy too much time on the phone with Insulet, or waiting that extra half hour at the pharmacy because they screwed something up with your prescription, or chasing highs or lows, or trying to find a good new site for your pump because your favorite is starting to act up, or writing an appeals letter asking for coverage of the new diabetes gadget you hope will help make managing it all easier (sometimes, it’s all of the above!)- yes, we’ve all been there and we’ve all felt that horrible overwhelming feeling. Diabetes can be a huge distraction. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve cried in the endo’s office or yelled at my PDM out of frustration, or just felt drained both physically and emotionally. The good news is that it does get easier, those moments become fewer and further between and they begin to feel a lot more OK. Diabetes is one long process of learning and overcoming. I think it helps to recognize all that you do to take care of yourself with diabetes and to take pride in that.

I like the idea around here of taking a pump vacation … I think once and a while it’s necessary to de-cyborg, and I bet it feels pretty darned nice to put that pod back on when you’re good and ready!

Hey Kristina… wow. I’m with you. I’m new to the Pod too (mo 4 now) but old to the Big D. I had the shots DOWN. I’m enjoying the OmniPod for the low maintenance on daily shots, but I do second-guess myself and deal with lows and adjusting. People ask “How’s it going?” I say “Eh, ok, I’m not in LOVE with it but it’s helping me. :)” I had a disappointment where I tried the arm and my sugars were out of control. Bummer. I’m scared to try it again. So I’m sticking to the tummy… and running out of space and having some bleeding. Anyway, I’m going to work hard on it and see it through… but emotionally it has been a bit tough for me. It brought up all sorts of deep-seeded-repressed feelings how much I really don’t enjoy the Big D. IT KINDA SUCKS. :slight_smile: Yes, I have mixed feelings that I’m still processing. The good news is TuDiabetes is soooooooo helpful for all of us.

It’s good to cry… gets rid of all those emotions but I’ve learned to love my omnipod and embrace it because the little bit of effort that goes into the operation and even the errors is SO well worth it. When I was taking shots I wasn’t aware of an insulin pump so I did what I had to do but the omnipod made life SO much easier for me and got rid of all those black and blue marks, painful injections and over or under dosing. It’s a device that helps us live a more normal life and I think it will just get better in time. Please be thankful for it’s “existence”… it saves lives. :slight_smile: