Endoscopy and colonoscopy - so much fuss?

Fun stuff I’m ordered by my endo to do (long story on why, but anyway)…

So I went to see the Gastro doctor.

As soon as she heard that I now have Diabetes, she now insists this must be an inpatient procedure. Told me she usually admits patients with diabetes (whether they’re on oral meds or insulin). She wants an IV during the prep and to monitor BS etc every 4 hours. Seems like a huge to do. I’ve done endoscopy and colonoscopy before and it didn’t seem such a big deal…

Is this usual to make such a fuss about all things medical now that D is in the picture?

Gee I wonder which proceedure she makes more money on… the outpatient or the inpatient? Hummmmmngh…

Stuart

My mother was a nurse for a Gastro doc and that is unsual for them to request you be impatient. She also has had two colonoscopy over the past ten years and have always been done as an outpatient procedure even with her being a type one diabetic.

I would spend as little time as POSSIBLE In the hospital… hospitals are in general, not very diabetes friendly places. The food is horrible, the “monitoring” you get is a joke, and god help you if you use insulin… it’s just all around a BAD idea to spend any more time in a hospital than necessary. It is not a good thing, and please don’t let anyone convince you otherwise.

I am going for my first colonoscopy in aug. and all they told me was if my morning number is good do half of my insulin and it is outpatient. Me type 1 for 2 years dx’ed at 52.

That is rather unusual. Why specifically does she need to monitor every 4 hours/inpatient/etc? I have never heard of someone going inpatient for a colonoscopy. Unless there are other issues she’s concerned about, I’d want clarification on why this is necessary as it is most likely quite a difference in expense.

I’m a T2 and on insulin. I have had both an endoscopy and colonoscopy at an outpatient surgery office no problem. There was no reason to keep me in the hospital. I was npo after midnight, took 1/2 my insulin that morning. They said they schedule all diabetics for first thing in the morning - makes sense. I had the procedure, my sugars were checked before procedure and before I went home and were fine. You can check BS outpatient. Only problem I had was when I was getting checked in they started to put in my IV and when I asked what they were hanging (always do) they were hanging D5 – I said no way, ringers lactate please. After checking with doc, they all agreed I was correct and we proceeded with the test. An IV doesn’t have to have sugar in it. After each procedure I was up and out of there just fine, BS just fine. Went home and had lunch and resumed all my meds. I certainly had an IV during prep and they monitored my BS but WHY do this inpatient?? There’s no reason.

You are right - it shouldn’t be a big deal. My gastro doc didn’t make a big deal about it.

They usually only do them in the hospital if its a risky procedure. That way your there if any other further treatment is needed…

Other than the prep the procedure is quick and really no big thing.

If you dont agree with them, go see someone else.

Typically it is done as outpatient. In my case they put a hospital band on me. The clinic was right next to the hospital. I later learned if they tear your colon during the procedure you will be admitted immedtialy for surgery to repair the tear. Thankfully that does not happen that often but it is not a risk-less procedure and is invasive.

Maybe there is a new court case your Dr is aware of that is prompting this inpatient admission.

Nope. I just recently had an endoscopy. They had me hold my insulin that morning (and obviously not eat). They tested me before the procedure. I’m not sure what they mean by every 4 hours. The endoscopy was only about 20 minutes and I understand colonoscopy are only a bit more than that. I did have an IV as they gave me “conscious sedation” or “twilight sedation” but that is standard procedure. Sounds overkill to me.

If it’s possible - please get a second opinion - and see if your endo knows of a good gastro person that is hopefully covered under your insurance.
Good luck!!

I take insuln and have 2 colonoscopys with sedation outpatient with no problems - in fact the last time I had 2 polys removed ( they were benign.). Like others, I agree that the prep is worse than the procedure. You adjust your meds. Have it done in the morning. You also have someone to drive you home. The place it was done was in a medical office building adjacent to a hospital. I really don’t understand why this doctor insists that it be done as an inpatient procedure. At the very least, you should ask for an expanation.

Here is web link regarding the procedure: http://www.medicinenet.com/colonoscopy/article.htm

can’t believe I noticed this discussion…I’ve put off my 2nd colonos 'cause soooo worried about the prep. BG has been a roller coaster since spring…& I’m somewhat concerned bout sedation & letting “them” monitor my BG

Just had upper endo as well as colonoscopy done yesterday and was all done as an outpatient. Checked in at 7:00 a.m. (fasting), had both procedures at 8:30 a.m., done at 10:00 a.m., and home by 11:00 a.m.

there is no need for a glucose/saline mixture IV. especially if you probably will have no IOB (insulin on board). I made the mistake of not explaining last fall that even though I am receiving small amounts of insulin (OmniPod pump), I do NOT need sugar.

either way you do it, i would say no to the iv glucose. also, remind them where you’d like to be poked in the finger in case they want to do a fingerstick while you’re out. (unless you do your fingersticks in the middle of the pad of your fingers…)