Exchange System for healthy eating?

Someone was asking me about using the “exchange system” for planning healthy eating, but I don’t know what it is or where to find more information. Is there a book or something someone could direct me to? I’d really appreciate it. Our whole family is trying to eat better.

Jennifer

The “Exchange” system is an archaic diet developed by the ADA in the 1950s. I would not recommend it. A better approach for a diabetic is carb counting. The ADA teaches carb counting, but the book I really like is by Gary Scheiner, called the “Guide to Accurate Carb Counting” (yes “the” Gary Schiener). As to a diet for the whole family, that alone warrants a whole nother topic. Let me just say that I have been trying to get my whole family to limit carbs and to eat smartly with limited success. We have made progress on limiting processed foods, high fructose corn syrup and gotten more interest in whole foods, but not much progress on limiting carbs. I am a bit of a foodie and a care where my food comes from. I am a Michael Pollan fan, so this whole topic could take several days. I’ll be interested in what others say. But in summary, stay away from dinosaur meat and the exchange system.