Exciting news since switching to Tresiba

I feel for you. I was the same way on both Lantus and Levimere. Even tho I was doing split disingenuous morning and night, nothing was consistent. I had to bring my BG up to 151 before going to bed in order to avoid a bad low ( sometimes around 45 ) , which was alwAys scary. It took my body about two weeks to adjust to Tresiba, not not 1 low during the night :blush: I hope Canada soon has Tresiba available for all Tyoe 1’s. It is a life saver to me. Btw, I have been on both a Minimed pump and OMNIPOD and prefer Tresiba over both​:blush:

1 Like

I love it too!!

2 Likes

^ case in point

I hope it comes to Canada. It often takes years for things to get here (Lantus took five years, OmniPod took many years, Dexcom took many years, T:slim and other pumps have yet to get here). Every few weeks I google it to see if I can find anything and have yet to find any indication that they’ve even applied to Health Canada for Tresiba, much less covered. I sometimes think that the delay is because we’re such a small market, only 10% of the US population, that the companies just aren’t really motivated to seek Health Canada approval, but that’s just speculation. I would be very interested to see if it would work for me.

Has anyone compared it to Toujeo? I really like Toujeo but wondering if Tresiba is even better.

Toujeo is just concentrated lantus… Insulin glargine U300 with a catchy new brand name. Tresiba is definitely a different animal. I used lantus for years and therefore have no interest in toujeo after switching to tresiba…

Yeah I’m aware of what it is, I was actually asking if anyone has tried both.

Toujeo acts totally different than Lantus though, I can feel no spikes or night time lows like I had with Lantus. I really like it but wondering if Tresiba is even better. I pretty much try everything that comes out to try to get an edge on diabetes. :slight_smile:

And being a different animal is not always a good thing, It’s a totally new chemical structure to the body which there is no long term studies on. I’m not staying it’s bad, but saying it’s good cause it’s different isn’t wise either.

I think I’ll get a trial of it to see the differences just for fun. :slight_smile:

Please let us know your impressions

I tested the Tresiba during 2 weeks now in July, during my seaside holidays together with Humalog, and I must say I was and still am amazed. I have never in my whole life been so stable using pens. I am seriously considering using Tresiba instead of the basal in the pump and keeping the pump only for the bolus purposes.
Btw, my basal dose was reduced by approx 33%.

My doctor recommended Toujeo, but I insisted on Tresiba. In the end I got one box of each but went with Tresiba anyways. His argument was that there is a higher risk of long time lows if overdosed, but then again, on the internet there are clear instructions from other user on how the Tresiba should be started with and then adjusted. In the end, I think it was all about the price difference, as all our stuff is covered by the government over here. That is silly as well, since one can cut down the quantity used with Tresiba but not with Toujeo.

Advice to all of you wanting to take break from the pump:

Create temporary basal rates during three days, corresponding to day one 66%, day two 33%, day three 0%, as it takes 3 days for Tresiba to reach it’s full stable effect.

Also, what amazed me is that I would go to bed with e.g. 108 blood sugar reading and wake up with 106. Incredible.

I actually had been having trouble with lantus, having lows in the afternoon if taking anywhere near enough to wake up at healthy levels with 1x daily pm injections. I went to my doctor and told him I wanted levemir instead so that I could further tweak my doses, splitting the dose and taking less in the morning to avoid evening lows, and higher evening doses to fight dawn phenomenon. I had it pretty well thought out. He said something like, “I can see you have put a lot of thought into this, but what I’m going to offer you a free sample of is tresiba-- which is a very very flat basal, which I unsderstand is not what you think you need-- but try it”

I protested. Insisted I knew better and needed to be able to adjust my basal in complex methodical ways. He said “well I can see you’re not going to take no for an answer, so I’ll give you a couple levemir pens too-- on one condition-- use the tresiba first and only try the levemir if you don’t love it…”

I have a couple free sample levemir pens still. Sometimes logic doesn’t dictate what actually works best…

1 Like

I agree Sam19. My 16 year old son ditched his pump for Tresiba (basal) and Afrezza (meal time) and his A1C is the best of his life. Though we were grateful for years on his pump, his quality of life now, without pump, is the best since diagnosis at age 12. FREEDOM!!

3 Likes

First time posting
DX’d with type 2 after FBC 475 in Feb. 2016 / a1c of 15.9
Re-DX for LADA Leap Day 2016 by great endo

I have ONLY used Tresiba. Also taking Metformin ER, 2 pills twice daily 500 mg

Love Tresiba
Of course I have nothing to compare it to

Fast forward: June 2016 A1c 5.3.
Sometimes a little low but also controlling carbs
Current carb intake is 15-20 g / 3 times daily
Plus high fat, high protein snacks between meals.

Trying not to lose more weight
But that’s another post

1 Like

@LADA_lady – Dropping your A1c by ten points in less than six months is incredible. Congratulations! I’m glad you have access to the best insulins. Tresiba is a very good basal insulin. But that’s not the only reason your blood glucose control got much better. Your adherence of monitoring your food intake is important. I believe carb limits help most people with diabetes. You appear to have taken real charge of your situation. The sooner a person gets to acceptance, the better. But everyone has their own path and pace. Good luck going forward.

2 Likes

Thank you, Terry4, but I know there are many twists and turns ahead. I am learning so much from everyone posting on this forum. It’s really opened my eyes.

Only way I was able to access Tresiba is because my endo gives me samples. I do not know what will happen once they run out. It’s a very expensive medicine, one I will not be able to afford, even with coupons or promotions.

Couldnt agree with you more Sam19! Everyone is unique but for me I’ll NEVER go back to a pump. I pumped for years and now I do MDI and just got my Tresiba to try today. (On Toujeo now) The main reason for pumping before was because the crappy long acting insulins werent stable or flat (Lantus). But i cant tell you how many times I went high cause my site pulled out completely, or it just clogged a little so my BS was a little high but wasnt sure if it was the site or eating too much, etc. It was horrible and i was constantly reminded I was diabetic because I had this dang thing constantly attached to me. Now I have MUCH more freedom and couldnt be happier. Tresiba i hope will defintely be a game changer even better than Toujeo.

1 Like

Did you start with the same dose of Tresiba as your other long acting insulin? Im switching from Toujeo to Tresiba to try it and their website says its a 1<>1 conversion which i find out since it ends up taking days to get to full strength.

Hi Jane10, I have to ask how your son likes the Afrezza? I have never even thought of using inhaled insulin, what advantages do you see with it other than not doing the needles, which i dont mind. Is it consistent?

Awesome, Allen… Be patient for a few days with it to allow it to stabilize its levels in your body before you mess with the dosage too much… That’s my advice anyway… Please report back on how it works for you

I use afrezza also, it has completely changed my life. It works lightening fast and carb counting pretty much isn’t necessary— lots of discussions about it on here if you do a search

It’s only shortcoming is that it’s so fast it wears off before food is done digesting with some foods

2 Likes