Exercise, the lows come too quickly and easily!

AR
Right now I do things very similar to you, I don't worry about fueling with long term carb either, but I am off the honeymoon and have also switched to a pump. Two years ago, things were much different. When we turn down the basal rate on our pumps we can set the amount of insulin that is hitting our body to be equal with the glucose form our liver, leaving relatively stable BG. Timmy cannot do this, he has two streams of insulin that are steadily hitting him throughout his exercise, his Lantus shot and the insulin that his own body puts out. Any time that his BG is high, his body will send extra insulin, dropping his BG and if the sugar stream runs out he is vulnerable to go low form the lantus stream and increased insulin sensitivity. As long as the sugar stream stays steady, then his body's insulin stream stays steady and his BG stays flat. This is one of the key differences between exercising with full T1D versus in the honeymoon phase.

yep! it seems so foreign to me that one can maintain 6-7mmols during exercise....ideally i start at 10 with races and try and maintain throughout...Do you guys with pumps (AR aside) start this high? I worry because i train every day i purposefully spike my bs atleast once a day and i am concerned about the damage this is doing. I have to compete against my lantus, any bolus if there any left, as well as my own little bit i still produce.
Here in australia we have a choice of the medtronic veo and animas 2020. The latter is waterproof (yah!) but the former has a cgm attached to it....hard decisions on these choices

Oh no, I' being kicked out of the club!!

Jay Cutler, the Chicago Bears' quarterback (USA Football) has T1 and I'd read somewhere that he aims for 120-180 during games? It's not quite the same as long, cardio stuff (particularly with the Bears' %$&^^# O-line...)but that seems reasonable? I try to "hover" towards the lower end of that range. It doesn't always work out. I ran into several people at the marathon starting out around 300. I ran a bit w/ my aunt's friend Larry is I think in his 60s, has done Ironman events, etc. w/ T1 but has some vision issues. I think he ran faster than me but fell down like 4x during the race, once he was running low (80s, but if you roll at 300 all the time, 80 is pretty low!), once on a manhole cover and I'm not sure about the other two times. He still finished way ahead of me. My aunt wanted us to get together and I think I emailed him about the TU groups but he's not really computer oriented. The other guy I blundered into at the start in an was testing and I was like "hey, how're you doing..." and he was at 300. I'm sure he blew me away too as he appeared to be about 20.

Wow, I really admire you cyclists, swimmers, etc. I have trouble walking down the street without dropping way below target range. It really helped to get the pump. Even though it's a lot of micro-managing, it's better than constantly eating every time I exercise. I usually turn the rate way down or else suspend (especially when hiking). Otherwise, all that eating will cause you to gain too much weight when you get older (like me!).

i hear ya re: bears o line! Someone protect my boy cutler! Gonna be a good season this season, got some nice recruits in the offseason.
300 is too high even for me. Tried it once and felt lethargic!

I know we are all different, so of course this may be totally off target for you, but if it were me, this kind of intense fluctuation would possibly point to my using too much insulin. Is that a possibility here?

/\/\

lantus possible yep. My boluses are good. I am on 8 units of lantus and get up around 4-4.5 give or take so that is fairly low. But 7 give me 5.5-6, so not too bad but i prefer the lower numbers because i find i get better control throughout the day (exercise aside) if i start 4 or above.

just a bit of a follow up-....its definately lantus thats the problem here. As mentioned before, im finding it hard to compete against it. Its tiring that im going low after a simple 4km jog without any real intensity. I only take 1 unit of bolus for food so even if i half the dose or miss it, i feel as though i cant train with any real intensity because i need some insulin to shuttle the glucose into muscle.

For those on pumps, do you find by suspending/decreasing your dosage during or prior to exercise, that you still go low easily? would i be correct in assuming you would need less carbs during exercise because there is nothing working in the background to drop you down?

That's correct. I think that a good rule of thumb is a small "hit" of carbs every 3-5 miles and I seem to do ok w/ that, like a cup of gatorade, about the fuel a "straight" person w/o diabetes would have if they were running? . Most of the 1/2 marathons I've run have maybe 4-5 drink stations. I usually lug a bottle along but I think of that as more "emergency" rations than "fuel"?

i try to be around ~160 before running (then again, my distance isn't too high yet). running with anything above 200 will make me get cotton mouth so bad that I cant swallow.