Extreme adhesive measures- Rugby player in need!

I just started using the Dexcom G5 system, and I’ve been having an extremely hard time keeping it stuck to me. I play rugby for all but 2 months of the year and need something that can withstand extreme sweat and constant moving.

I currently have the CGM placed on my abdomen and it started to peel off within 24 hours of first putting it on. I added some mastisol which somewhat worked for my first day of practice (purely fitness). Before my next practice, I added on a patch of Tegaderm, about 10 hours beforehand, and with the extreme sweat and movement, the Tegaderm was mostly unattached by the end of practice (and this was while I was being cautious since I knew it was coming off). The sensor itself didn’t come off, whew!, but I just don’t feel like it’s stable and will last another practice (let alone the two weeks I’d like the sensor to last).

What I’ve used so far: Tegaderm/IV3000- come off with sweat in a matter of 30 mins, tops. Mastisol- eh, doesn’t really work too well, but I’ve only tried adding it after peeling begins, not from the get-go. Liquid Bandaid- works about 18 hours and then gives me a rash and the peeling starts again. GrifGrips- coming in the mail today! Let’s see if they work.

Note- I don’t know if I can move my site to my arms due to rugby, but if you are a rugby player or know of one who uses that as a site, let me know how you/they do it.

So my questions essentially are; for those of you with extreme site adhesion issues, what do you do to keep things attached??? Does one thing work, or do you need a combo of adhesives? Do you put them on right when you insert a sensor? Or the day on which you think you need extra adhesion? Thanks!

Body shaving might help. Cleaner surface area might help adhesion.
Tried new sites?

My physical activities never included running, but grappling, throwing, kicking, striking, pushing, pulling yup. I could never make a pump work with my job. It always flew off, no matter what/where I tried.

Depending on the specifics of your pump/CGM, you might explore a small fanny pack or what’s called a Spibelt. If you have even a couple inches of tubing to work with, might explore them.

1 Like

I have just seen a product through a Facebook advertisement, and the reviews seem favorable. Hope this info helps…reiterating that I have not used them personally! Maybe someone reading this forum has and will provide feedback! The product is available from the first link, but there are also similar products available via Amazon.

https://www.shoplexcam.com/collections/dexcom-patches/products/dexcom-adhesive-patches-tan

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=dexcom+adhesives&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=174214507869&hvpos=1t1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9282721519438981247&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9009721&hvtargid=kwd-186276838359&ref=pd_sl_3beb9w45c4_b

1 Like

I like GrifGrips: https://www.grifgrips.com/

I’ve also found that my Dexcom stays on longer when applied in certain
areas. Maybe experiment with some other sites.

Elisabeth Kruger
Russian Translation | Arctic Conservation | Photographic Production
Anchorage, AK | 907-717-7714 | elisabeth.kruger@gmail.com

2 Likes

First off, stomach is the worst place for your CGM sensor if you’re going to be sweating a lot.

I started wearing mine on my arm in the Spring of 2016 and it’s never going back to my stomach.

I use two things that help keep my sensor on and functioning for at LEAST 2 weeks.

First, a barrier between my sensor and my skin: I use half of Tough Pad, which is a hydrocolloid band-aid. It’s waterproof and sweat-proof and keeps my sensor site from itching.

Second, I use Opsite Flex-Fix to keep the sensor on. If I tape it right, it lasts at least 2 weeks.

It may be too risky for rugby, but an arm or thigh placement would allow you to utilize compression bands/shorts to keep your sensor secure during a workout. You may still have to reapply adhesive after practice, but at least you know it’s secure during the workout since it’s not affected as much by sweat and movement.

I’ve personally found that devices stick better on my arms/legs better during workouts regardless of compression wear, but I’m also not playing a hardcore contact sport!

Reese2 posted tip and tricks for experienced pump users on the treatment catagory of the forum - one of the tips was the use of antiperspirant spray or solid to keep the site in place - wonder if that might help? I’ve watched some rugby this year - I’ve no idea how the scoring works but it looks like happy mayhem - good luck!

1 Like

@Stuart - I never thought of shaving my stomach as a woman, but I’m sure there’s some fine hair there, so I will definitely try that. I don’t use a pump but rather MDI right now, so that’s nothing to worry about for me.

@BayBornTarHeel - I saw the same ad just after seeing you replied! Definitely going to check it out.

@Itsa - I got my GrifGrips on Saturday and they are working phenomenally well! I haven’t practiced or played yet (testing that tonight), but I am super hopeful!

@Timbeak48 / @ccc I’ve thought about trying other sites, but am worried about placing it on my arm (thigh cannot even be considered as I’m part of the scrum). If placed on my arm, I would definitely need some sort of compression, which wouldn’t be a bad thing, but does get extremely hot. I’ll try the arm out during my touch season this summer to see how it goes without the complete risk of knocking it off in full league play. I actually have issues with the tough pads as they come off immediately for me (idk why, but they do). Also, unfortunately, Opsite Flex-Fix is essentially the same as the IV3000/Tegaderm for me and comes off lickety-split.

@JasonF82 - Thanks for the suggestion; I haven’t heard of them before, but I will definitely try these out!

@Bowie - Thanks for the suggestion also. I will look up that post as I’ve never heard of that before, but everything is worth a try at this point!

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions! I’m sure this will be a battle for most of my rugby career, but anything helps, or at least eliminates possibilities :wink: Thanks again!

Tough Pads need to be placed on a dry arm about an hour before you’re going to insert your sensor. During that time, you have to press down and stretch out the pad so it will adhere to your skin. (Imagine the Tough Pad being dough and you have to use your fingers like a rolling pin. After all this, don’t forget to clean off the top of the Tough Pad with an alcohol pad before you insert your sensor).

For me, it doesn’t have to stick to me very long because the Opsite tape is going to cover over everything and keep it on.

Disclaimer - I am not a heavy sweater.
Tegaderm and opsite flexifix (or flexigrid) don’t work for my dexcom transmitter unless I use an adhesive (skin tac). I use both skin tac wipes and flexifix/ flexigrid to keep my transmitter attached to my tricep area. When I swim, though, I have a spandex sleeve I sewed to keep the transmitter in place. Just be careful when you remove the sleeve or you will rip that baby right off, especially when it is still wet.

Our skins are all different, so different adhesives work differently on me than you. Good luck in your search.

I don’t know if my process will help but my sensors are still stuck like glue after three weeks consistently. I wash the area in the shower well and then I carefully clean the area with alcohol. This is an important step as any natural oils left on the skin will impede adhesion. I then coat the entire area with SkinTac. Then I insert the sensor and then apply SkinTac on top of the sensor pad. Then I top it all off with Opsite. The SkinTac seems to glue everything together well for me although I found that exercise in the hours after a sensor change can cause premature failure as the adhesive has not set properly. It probably is good to give 24 hours for the adhesive to totally set.

1 Like

Hello svalasak:

Pump, CGM, its all the same generic issue. Getting the little buggers to stick, and stay! (Sounds strangely like a dog training class… no wait, a CAT training class… Stay Fluffy, STAY.)

Unclear how much tubing a given CGM uses, but certainly could be a factor too. Tried using longer/longest tubing…? If the infusion site/set is what’s getting tugged/pulled, maybe, just maybe giving it a little more “play” could work?

Don’t know just throwing out some ideas here.