First endocrinology appointment?

Wow, that's great! I eat under 100 a day and consider that "low/moderate". True low carb ala Dr. Bernstein the low carb guru is 30 grams a day. Sounds like you are doing great on diet (despite the ADA party line!)

I admit it may hit 100g of carbs a day now that you've told me that (LOL).

I've talked about getting a bicycle for exercise (I detest running :/).. and boyfriend wants one now too. So if I exercise lots... does that mean I can eat more carbs??? >.> I know, I know, probably not. :)

But if I eat a filet of fish sandwich... it's only 38 grams. LOL.

Thanks! With their current ratios, I'm doing about half the humalog I was doing before. I have 'permission' to go to 1:18 if it doesn't seem to do much.

My immune system has failed me indeed. :/

You actually might have to have different ratios for different meals. Many of us do, as we are more carb sensitive in the morning. Mine, for example are 1:5, 1:10 and 1:21. Not everyone's are that far apart, but it works for me. I:C ratio is basically trial and error. If 1:20 leaves you high, try 1:19, then 1:18, etc until you find the number that most consistently leaves you in target without going low. It's great they gave you a correction factor; many endos seem to think that's too much for patients early on. But I personally think correcting promptly has been one of the main things that has helped me have a good A1C.

I think I'm going to take your advice and just go down 1g of carb at a time to see how it does. I looked back at some of my numbers from the past couple weeks (I've been intermittently carb counting, trying to get used to it).. and it *almost* seems like I need 1:6ish for breakfast, 1:10ish for lunch and again at 1:5ish for dinner. But I'll make adjustments gradually with each meal.

I haven't had to use the correction factor with meals yet, but when my BG was 230 after eating lunch today, I hit myself with a small amount of Humalog because that was WAY too high!

I have been 'less' of a 'control freak' but had gotten my sugars reasonably under control before my appointment. Now my sugars are skyrocketing everywhere, following their instructions. It's making me feel like crap again.

So I called this morning and talked to the PA... she said you're supposed to take about the same amount of short acting in one day as you take of long acting. I've been taking 8 of long acting and about 12 to 15 of short. So she said I could go up on the long acting.

And then she told me not to micro manage it! LOL. I don't know how I feel about that.

I found I was happier once I learned to self-adjust insulin and got comfortable doing that...it was scary at first because we are taught that a physician is supposed to tell you how much of a drug to take. Self-adjustment of insulin is really the only way, imho, to get good control. Things just change too much. Though handholding from the endo or PA/CDE can really help in the beginning.

The PA is correct...as you will see from the books, things tend to work best when basal insulin is 40-60% of total daily dose. (The balance being bolus insulin). Look at how much total insulin you are taking a day and set basal to be 40-50% of that...alternatively you can go up, say 10% a day and see how it works out.

You may find that as the so-called honeymoon period ends, your insulin demands will go up, probably leveling off at around 0.7 units/day/kg of weight (rough T1 population average). The time period over which this happens varies from weeks to years by individual.

You are exactly right. I feel like I can't do anything without asking them first, but I think I'm just going to have to learn it on my own. It's frustrating that they do not provide more help with all this than they do..

Also, I will never tell a client that they are micromanaging. I know how it feels to be told that, now. Oh, the lessons we vets learn from the human medicine profession!

I'm going to maintain my appointment with the CDE at the family physicians group for Monday and see how that goes.. if it goes extremely well, I may not go back to the endo. Just some things to think about.

Thanks for the hint about where people level off- I did the math and I'm roughly half of that.

I've had both a lot of doctors and a lot of vets, palominovet (I'm 63 and have moved a lot. I've found plenty of doctors who were cold, without personality or who had god complexes, and not one vet who had any of those. This despite the fact that I've been told vet school is as hard to get into as med school!

By the way, I didn't "translate" your name until I typed it just now!

It's true that there are far fewer veterinary schools than medical schools, some say it's harder to get into them, but I don't know.

Glad you have had good experiences with veterinarians!

Does it explain why I'm probably a little crazy now that I've been diagnosed with this? LOL. Oh well.