First G4 Frustration

My G4 usually takes at least 24 hours to acclimate a new sensor and begin producing reasonably accurate readings. That said, I've become very frustrated with it on the first night after putting in a new sensor. Last night it kept alarming me every half hour telling me I was low when I really wasn't, "No I am NOT 57, I am 91!" "No, I am not 69 I am 93!" I finally got tired of getting no sleep and I just turned it off (that's one advantage over the 7+, you can turn the G4 receiver off).

Does anyone else have those kinds of issues with their G4? Night time is my best bg time, for the most part I tend to flatline in the 90s all night as evidenced by the G4 sensor when it's good and broken in. My night time bgs are usually very stable, I've worked hard on getting those basals correct for me, although there can be occasional(not often)times when it does fluctuate, due to unusual circumstances.

Now I'm to the point, I think I'm just going to turn it off that first night and not use it at all, but that kind of defeats the purpose of me getting it. Has anyone else experienced this type of inaccuracy and found a solution? I don't mind it so much during the daytime hours, but at night, it's just getting unacceptable. I really can't function the next day after getting little to no sleep.



Hi Patty,
I too experience exactly what you are describing the first 24 hours with a new sensor. Since the sensors generally last a good couple of weeks this is less of an issue. I have not really figured out a way to get around the erratic results. What I generally do is set the high alert to 350 and the low alert to 60. I put the receiver under my pillow and if it drives me crazy initially I will just turn it off. The other option is to just start the sensor earlier in the day so that you don't have a crappy night.

Hi Clare,

I tend to only leave my sensors in for 10 days since they start to bother me after that amount of time. I do have a small sensitivity to the tape and I have difficulty using other tapes (due to skin allergies) to try to keep them on when they begin to loosen.

I usually start the sensor in the morning, but have yet been able to alleviate the horrible night. Yesterday I calibrated the new sensor around 4 pm (granted that was a little later than usual, but I was waiting for my husband to get home in case I needed help with my arm insertion), and even this morning it was still horrible, told me I was 184 two hours after breakfast (which is pretty unusual for me also) only to find out my meter said I was 124. More than likely it will be dinnertime today before it finally gets to a reasonable point.

Yes, it looks like I will have no other choice but to turn off the receiver on the first night regardless of when I start it since there's no way to run a 24 hour period without at least one night involved. Only thing is, I will have to avoid starting any new sensors when my husband's out of town, since even though I'm usually pretty stable during the night, there's always that one time when things may really go haywire. I now have a fear of being without anything at night time since I've already lost two friends who passed away during the night reportedly due to low blood glucose. Which was my main reason for getting the G4 in the first place.

Thanks for your help. I'm glad to hear that someone else has also experienced this issue and it's not just me. :)


Sorry to hear about your friends, night time lows were the reason I got the G4. I have not had any experience with the earlier versions of this product. The last sensor I had was on my arm and it stayed put and gave good results for 14 days and I did not want to move it, but had no choice when it finally gave me the ???. The current one is on my thigh and has been surprisingly comfortable since the beginning, but the first night with it was rocky until I just decided to turn it off. I always use some opsite flexifix tape to secure it and thankfully so far I have not shown any sensitivity to any of the adhesives.
It's probably a smart move to avoid new sensor starts when hubby is out of town. As much as I rely on the G4 at night, it's also nice to have some back up which my husband provides.
There have been some threads on here about what others have done to help with new sensor starts and variability. One suggestion I saw was to insert a new sensor but leave the previous one still on with the transmitter. I guess this would be to get the next sensor "marinating". Then the following morning remove the old sensor and transfer the transmitter to the new one. Start it and calibrate it after 2 hours. I don't know if this makes any difference to the initial sensor variability but it might.

Thanks Clare, I've heard about starting a new sensor before removing the old one, but I wonder about keeping it antiseptic while wearing it without the transmitter. This thing is sticking in your body with nothing covering it.

For me, the sensor also begins to get painful after a week and usually I can tough out the three more days, but I'm not sure I can take more than that. Right now the one I put in yesterday is a little uncomfortable from time to time and I wonder if perhaps I got it in a little deeper. Not sure this one will make the week. I do the best I can, but I sure wish they'd improve the technology. I love having the ability to easily check my blood sugar level. Today I think I'd be lost without it after using it for four months. It becomes such an important part of your life.

I have found if I put the sensor on my arm and I then use the arm a lot at work, it gets sore after only a few days. I have only removed 1 sensor because of really poor placement. It was on my left arm and hurt literally from the second I inserted it until I ripped it off my arm the next day, after spending the preceding night unable to sleep. I'm not sure how the person who posted the suggestion to start a second sensor before finishing the first one kept it clean, but my guess is they completely covered it with tegaderm or some kind of waterproof tape. I also have become very reliant on the Dex and after only 4 months I could not imagine how I managed without it. But I too wish the technology was even more advanced, I would like to go for a swim and actually get readings with the sensor on my thigh. But alas it is not possible. But I'll trade an hour without readings for 23 hours of information over the course of the day and night.

I learned way back using medtronic CGMS to insert before bed, attach the transmitter, but not to hit start until the morning. I tried to follow instructions, i.e. insert and hit go when I switched to the Dex 7, but had wildly inaccurate readings so I began the same - insert at bedtime, attach transmitter, and hit go in the morning. Now with the Gen 4 I have continued the same thing. I lose about 6 hours of sensor time but I do not lose sleep, I always get up to check sugars in the middle of the night sensor on or off just to make sure I'm ok, and will get a good 2 to almost 3 complete weeks of sensor use in most cases using this method.