First post - from 09/10/09

I went to the doctor today (09/10/09) and showed her my bg numbers for the past few months. Including the 169-182 range of 1.5hr post-eating 40-50g carbs numbers… She said it looked like I’m Type 2, but since my last A1C (June '09) was below 7 (it was 5.7), I should be able to control my bg with diet. She said 60g cabs per day! :-/ Guess I’m going to have to give some serious thought to what I’m eating now… I’d been eating well, but not paying much attention to the carbs, more avoiding greasy/salty foods… I’ve pretty much known this was coming since I first, randomly, decided to check my bg, 5/29/09. But I’d been hoping I was wrong. I’m still holding out hope that once I get off 3rd shift, and my schedule doesn’t flop 12hrs twice a week, things will get better. I have an appt with an endo on 10/1 - supposed to have a glucose tolerance test, and I’m going to ask him to check the antibodies/c-peptide numbers too - sounds like that’s the best way to know if this is actually type 2 or if there’s some other reason for these numbers… Thanks so much to the people who responded to my post the other day, and suggested getting those tests! The dr I was at today said that the A1C is what determines the need for meds, but if high spikes after eating are bad, I’m not so sure I agree… but, when I keep the carbs below 20-ish for the meal, my 1-2hr post bg isn’t too high usually…
The positive side, though, is that I’m going to be forced to deal with my fear of needles… And maybe someday I’ll find the guts to use the lancet-thingies where you push the button - can’t do that, but I can poke my finger with the lancet (the part you’re supposed to put inside the push-the-button thing) with no problem… Of course the button thing would hurt a lot less, but that doesn’t seem to be a factor in my ability (or lack of) to use it…
Another awesome thing is that test strips are now covered by my insurance, for the most part - now that I got a dr to write me a prescription for them! Though it makes it so much more real - not just me being geeky/nerdy about science & numbers when I check my bg - now it’s 'cuz the dr said to… this is definitely going to take some getting used to… I think telling my parents about this is going to be at least as hard as telling them I’m gay and don’t id as female…