Flaws in technology: a case of dka

All it takes is realizing that a machine will not “fix” everything. Using a pump is a lot of work sometimes. And I. The almost 29 years of pumping, the key thing I have learned, if that first correction doesn’t move the number, the infusion set is pulled. It is not worth that horrible way one feels when blood sugars get sky high and ketones start up! I hate highs so much more than I hate lows.
After first correction and no movement (CGM has been such a God send for me!), I give myself a correction by injection, pull the set and start over. Sometimes you can see the bend and sometimes you don’t, but even a tiny bend in it can cause no flow.
I always have a bottle of insulin with a syringe with me, just in case. And there is a pump change in the car and in my work locker, just in case.
The flaws in technology might not be the best way to describe this situation because the pump is working, it’s the support “technology “ that is almost every time the problem. I have never had a pump fail on me (except dropping one on a tile floor, not much survive that). It is always the infusion set. Another reason why I love my steel infusion sets. Since going back to them, no problems!
But always such a good idea to have your DKA game plan ready. Better to know before it happens, than trying to figure things out when all you want to do is curl up in a ball and wish someone could put you out of your misery!

1 Like