Flying with my pump

Hello. I know there are a million different posts on here about traveling with diabetes… but I have a few questions I can't seem to find my specific answers to and I am super nervous as it's my first time flying ever.

1st, I know I have the right to wear my pump through security and request a pat down but, I would rather just disconnect the pump and walk through the body scanner/metal detector so as not to have to endure it. If I take the pump off and put it in the container with my iPad and phone and stuff, what will they do with it? I assume I would tell them it's an insulin pump and go from there?

Additionally, everyone says to NOT put my medications in my checked bag. I already sent the insulin and pump supplies down to FLorida with my fiances parent who drove… so are they going to give me trouble about the pump, glycogen kit and such because I don't have the actual insulin vial with me?

How MUCH medication can I bring? I don't need to take my insulin with me, but as far as my lisinipril and synthroid and such, is there a limit to how much I can take with me in my carry on? Are they gonna like count the pills and stuff? I don't really understand how it all works.

How soon should we arrive before the flight to make sure we get through the whole process? Keeping in mind the pump and that its my first time flying period.

Finally, if anyone has any tips on how to make it through security smoothly I would value them. I have heard a million horror stories and am really nervous.

1st, I know I have the right to wear my pump through security and request a pat down but, I would rather just disconnect the pump and walk through the body scanner/metal detector so as not to have to endure it. If I take the pump off and put it in the container with my iPad and phone and stuff, what will they do with it? I assume I would tell them it's an insulin pump and go from there?
They will either send it through the x-ray belt or take it aside and swab it for explosive.

Additionally, everyone says to NOT put my medications in my checked bag. I already sent the insulin and pump supplies down to FLorida with my fiances parent who drove… so are they going to give me trouble about the pump, glycogen kit and such because I don't have the actual insulin vial with me?
There is insulin in your pump, and I would just put a copy of the rx in my carry on.

How MUCH medication can I bring? I don't need to take my insulin with me, but as far as my lisinipril and synthroid and such, is there a limit to how much I can take with me in my carry on? Are they gonna like count the pills and stuff? I don't really understand how it all works.
They don't count pills and stuff, or at least in my experience. Again, just make sure your drugs are labeled - the rx is usually on the label.

How soon should we arrive before the flight to make sure we get through the whole process? Keeping in mind the pump and that its my first time flying period.
This all depends on the day of travel, the airport, etc. Check with your airport(s).

Finally, if anyone has any tips on how to make it through security smoothly I would value them. I have heard a million horror stories and am really nervous.
I have never had a problem traveling with my pump, my supplies, or my prescriptions. To make it through smoothly, just follow the rules and don't make a production of your pump and supplies. That is what makes horror stories.

Have an awesome trip :)

You should not allow your pump to be x-rayed. It can damage the pump, and be dangerous to you if it malfunctions. If you are really considering taking it off, ask them for a hand inspection and tell them it cannot be put through the x-ray. Personally I would never do this though as if you get separated from your pump for any reason, such as being pulled aside for extra screening, then you could be in trouble.

I travel a lot, and am on a plane usually a couple of times a month easily. I go through the metal detector, and if needed get the pat down. It delays me maybe 5 minutes longer than the average traveler, if that.

You can take as much medication as you need as long as its labelled properly from the pharmacy. It is not counted like the rest of the liquids. A doctor's note never hurts, even though I haven't been asked for it while traveling with North America for a long time.

They have mentioned it above, but i think this is really important: Do not put your pump with your iPad and phone stuff on the X-Ray belt!! Pump can be severely damaged!!! (see here: https://forum.tudiabetes.org/topics/tsa-scanner-voided-animas-pump-warranty? )
I would not be too scared by the TSA, they are normal people after all. plan well ahead, so you dont have to hurry, keep your docs description ready and do what they tell you to do.
If i put my stuff on the belt to be X-Rayed, i explain to the agent next to me that i have a pump and do not take that one off. here in europe they are pretty aware of that now, sometimes if they see my insulin bag on the belt they even assume that the bulk in my pants is the pump. If they still ask, i show them that my pump is connected to my body and then they usually dont ask any further questions…
Enjoy your time in Florida!
SC

I will be able to answer a couple of your questions. When I travel I have a tote bag that I carry. In my tote I put my oral medications (in their pharmacy bottle), my pump supplies, written rx, and I have a very small cooler pack that can hold up to 2 vials of insulin. I always keep everything with me as you never know if your plan will be delayed or if you will have to change flights for some reason. I opt for the pat down ~ you just tell the TSA person that you have a pump and need to have the pat down ~ they pull you to the side call another TSA person over. It is a hassle but I prefer that to having the concern that the scanning machinery might damage my equipment. I always make sure to arrive 2 hours ahead of boarding to allow for the check in process.
Most TSA people are very professional so you should not have any trouble.