Freestyle Libre 14day accuracy?

Mine is usually about 20-30 points off as well, most of the time. I am going to go back to the Dexcom.

I started with the 10 day Libre and was thrilled to have it, but also found it to be terribly inaccurate. Then used the older 14 day version which also proved terribly inaccurate. I stopped using Libre and my insurance would not allow me to try the Dexcom.

At the beginning of 2021, I changed insurance providers and was faced with a “choice” of Libre or Dexcom. My past experience with Libre and the huge numeric discrepancies made me choose the Dexcom.

I have only used two sensors so far but have been very impressed with the accuracy of the Dexcom. When my levels are steady, a finger stick and the Dexcom reading is only a point or two different. (Not the 30 or 40 I was getting on Libre)

I do not have a smart phone so I used the Libre reader and use the Dexcom receiver. The Libre gave me a lot more information on the reader than I have access to on the Dexcom receiver.

I had easy and quick access to the log book, graphs over longer time frames, and a lot of data right on the reader itself. The Dexcom receiver only shows me the most recent reading and a time limited graph. I have to download to Clarity to get more information.

The Libre gave me all the information I could desire at my fingertips. Too bad it was erroneous information.

I would love to be able to combine the two systems, the accuracy of the Dexcom with the easy access to prior data available on the Libre reader.

I am also a stomach sleeper so sensor placement was easier for me with the Libre.

Once you select a system, my insurance provider will not allow you to switch to a different one. I am sort of stuck with Dexcom for the year and happy to have the accuracy. I do miss the other features I had with Libre.

While both have their drawbacks, I am happy to have something more than just finger sticks. I still use my glucometer at least once a day to verify my readings.

Boy do I agree with your thought that combining the software of FreeStyle and the accuracy of Dexcom would be the best.

Dexcom, in my opinion, is really the standard for accuracy.

I wore a Dexcom for a doctor-initiated study before I got the FreeStyle Libre. Ironically, my insurance doesn’t cover either device for me because my A1C is 5.3 now.

That’s backward thinking. Your a1c improved so much with a cgm, that they determine you don’t need it, so your a1c will go high for you to need it again.

That’s the beauty of the American Health Care system

1 Like

That is why I got a deal with Abbott Labs, got their discount card, and have always paid for the Freestyle Libre myself. I was unemployed, no insurance, when I first got it and have paid for it myself (with their discount card) ever since.

When I did have insurance, there was no way I met their high standards for them to cover it. You have to be dangerously out of control before insurance considers allowing you to get one.

You are too right, btw, about Insurance pays for it to get you healthy, not to keep you healthy.

3 sensors of Dexcom G6 cost around $350. 3 sensors are typically 1 month supply. You need to change the sensor every 10 days.
You will also need a transmitter. You need to change the transmitter every 3 months. The price of the transmitter is around $250.
And receiver, albeit not necessary, but if you choose to use it you will need to spend anywhere from $200-$350 depending on where you buy it.

After reading this… I will continue to stick myself. I can’t afford the outrageous price! :sneezing_face: :sneezing_face: :cold_sweat: :disappointed_relieved: :sob:

My insurance pays 80 percent of that and then I also get a small break in the price. So for my dexcom costs it’s 127 dollars per quarter. I have pump supplies which are close to that 132 per quarter.
So I’m glad I have decent insurance , it’s not cheap for premiums though.

I’m glad to have it because I went a few months with no insurance one time, it was hell, I could barely afford my insulin and finger stick strips.
That was when type1 diabetics could not get insurance at all if you didn’t get it from your job.
If they manage to get rid of the preexisting condition exclusion, I’ll be worried. It’s bad enough already

Been using it for years now. My A1C consistently comes back much lower than my Libre average.

We’re talking a Libre average of 7.5-8 and an A1C of 6.8-7.2

It doesn’t have to cost that much. I pay roughly $138 USD per month, cash out of pocket without insurance coverage. But in all honesty, it’s much less than that…

Costco has the best prices hands down, but you’ve got to have to $100/year Plus level membership. Sensors cost $289 per box of 3 (otherwise they’re more like $400-450 everywhere I’ve checked), and it’s $125 per transmitter.

I restart sensors and can usually get a full months out of a single one. Costs are further offset because Dexcom sends replacements for bad sensors/transmitters, so any wear you did get out of that one winds up being free. I love it when a sensor dies on day 9! Plus you can usually get 110 days out of a transmitter (20 more than budgeted for), if you pay attention to start your last session on the 100th day. You can’t start a session after day 100.

1 Like

I just wanted to chime in and I apologize in advance for any redundancy, however, I just wanted to make sure you have quadruple checked any insurance pharmacy options recently. in 2018, I was paying for the libre out of pocket for around $40 each, using a BLucon, miaomiao, miaomiao2, bubble, and xdrip or whatever worked, but recently discovered Cigna now may cover Dexcom at the pharmacy… in my area only Walmart/Sams, not all, but certain pharmacies… you usually need to have the Dr fill out their prior authorization, and its not easy, but definitely worth a try especially if you have a decent endo or nurse practitioner specializing in diabetes… I’ve had many bad ones over the years, and many bad general practitioners who would wave their hand and tell me "you don’t want a Cgm, you want to continue to check yourself every five minutes ". in the 80’s glucometers and test strips weren’t covered at the pharmacy. and it seems like most companies are realizing that its actually cheaper for them to cover cgms in the long run due to less complications

I have had multiple failures of Freestyle Libre 14 day sensors, I have had wildly inaccurate low readings compared to finger stick testing. Customer service has not responded. At least 8 failures in one year.

Rich, sorry to hear you’ve had such problems. Are you using the 14-day or the Libre 2? I’ve been using the 14 day sensors for the past year, and the original Libre for 2 years before that. Going on 4 years, now. In all that time, I’ve only had 3 sensors which somehow just went in at the wrong angle, and did not even start up. Freestyle Customer Support answered and replaced them right away. Would call them again (855-632-8658 M-F 8am-8pm).
For those of you who are paying out of pocket, I’d suggest trying Walgreens. I’m only paying $71.70 for a 28-day supply of 2 (14-day) sensors per month, and it’s well worth it to me (in my 23rd year with type 2). The readings are very close to both my Accu-chek meter and the lab – usually within a point or a few points.

Costco is cheap too with no insurance used… You don’t have to have the Costco Plus membership, I don’t, I just have the regular membership. But we do belong to their free Pharmacy Member program and sometimes that makes things cheaper. But we pay $37 per sensor. Right now the 14 day Libre and the Libre2 are the same price. (although I have been having issues with the Libre 2 not working after warm up)